News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Scart to HDMI is anybody using this type ?

Started by Audronic, 07:55, 06 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

Hi All

Scart to HDMI is anybody using this type ?
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

roudoudou

I saw some people using it successfully, not mine (because he's keeping 50Hz and i have only 60Hz screen?)

I've also seen a modification to handle better the signal on a Atari forum, just a resistor to add. I will try when i'll have time!

Do not put it in the trash!

ps: Now i'm using a generic RGB VGA converter
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Audronic

@roudoudou
I have just checked Pin 16 on the Scart socket and it is Grounded, hmmmm
Therefore it will only display Mono (Black and White).
I think I have a Faulty Converter.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Quote from: Audronic on 09:52, 06 December 17
@roudoudou
I have just checked Pin 16 on the Scart socket and it is Grounded, hmmmm
Therefore it will only display Mono (Black and White).
I think I have a Faulty Converter.

Ray

Nope, that just means that it will only display composite, but it could still be in colour. It may only convert to composite and not RGB?

Bryce.

Audronic

@Bryce

OK Thanks for that.

I thought that Pin 16 has 2 voltage levels
0 Volts -  Mono
1-5 Volts Colour RGB
Photo Below

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Bryce

It does, and as your attached list shows - 0V = Composite, not mono. Composite can be coloured too.

Bryce.

Audronic

@Bryce

Ok I will do some more research.

Thanks for the Pointers.

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Shaun M. Neary

I use one of these. For the 8 bit machines, I only get black and white output.
If I hook an original Xbox to it, it's colour.

So definitely don't bin it, it's not a fault with the device.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

khaz

It's working as intended, but the intention is to convert Composite only, not RGB. Definitely shady, there is no need for a SCART socket here unless to fool the buyer into thinking the device may do RGB.

Good quality scan converters / upscalers are expensive.

Bryce

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:48, 07 December 17
I use one of these. For the 8 bit machines, I only get black and white output.
If I hook an original Xbox to it, it's colour.

So definitely don't bin it, it's not a fault with the device.

Then it's the 8-bit computer producing the black and white composite signal, not the converter.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 15:24, 07 December 17
Then it's the 8-bit computer producing the black and white composite signal, not the converter.

Bryce.

Yep, it's definitely not the device at all.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Audronic

@Shaun M. Neary
@Kaz
@Bryce

Thanks to all, I spent most of yesterday trying to make some sense of the MONO signal.
Your comments are helpful

Thanks

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 15:24, 07 December 17

Bryce.

Is it an Acorn Electron? That only has mono composite.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:32, 08 December 17

Until you mod it to give colour composite (1 wire, 2 minutes). :)

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:32, 08 December 17

Nope. Happened on both an Amstrad 6128+ and a Spectrum +2b using that converter.
I'll post screenies over the weekend when I get a bit more time.

Bryce

Neither of those produce a coloured composite signal, so of course it will be black and white if the convertor doesn't use the RGB signals. You could do the composite hack to the Spectrum UHF output and it would then give you colour.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 10:36, 08 December 17
Neither of those produce a coloured composite signal, so of course it will be black and white if the convertor doesn't use the RGB signals. You could do the composite hack to the Spectrum UHF output and it would then give you colour.

Bryce.

Tried it on my grey +2 and ballsed it. Thankfully the TV with the SCART to HDMI adapter doesn't get used often so it's not bothering me too much.
S.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 09:17, 08 December 17

Bryce.

Yes, never saw what Acorn were trying to achieve with that other than perhaps trying to give a lower spec than the BBC Micro.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

fgbrain

yes, I also confirm this produces only black & white picture only  :(
but I like the audio. it is much louder and clearer than the scart only input in my LG monitor...

_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

robcfg

Quote from: Bryce on 09:17, 08 December 17

Bryce.

Could you point me to the instructions for that?

Bryce

Quote from: robcfg on 20:12, 05 October 19

Could you point me to the instructions for that?

Article written by a really nice guy, I can recommend his mods :D It explains how to add colour to the composite or (even better) add an S-video output.
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?36926-S-Video-Mod-for-the-Acorn-Electron

Bryce.

robcfg

Hehehe, I see what you the nice guy did there!  ;D