Author Topic: Side Switch Problem  (Read 362 times)

Offline Flonky_Tash

• CPC464
  • Liked: 8
Re: Side Switch Problem
« Reply #10 on: 15:09, 16 April 18 »
Okay I have started again with a fresh cable I've crimped myself. I've taken both of your advice...

Starting with Bryce's advice I've taken a more suitable ground, in this case I've used wire 31.

Taking Tjohnson's advice I have joined wire 32 to the middle of the switch.

Still no joy. I am really confused as to where I'm going wrong.

I've attached a photo of this attempt.
If it isn't broken - make it better.

Offline Bryce

• The Hardware Guy.
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • It's not broken, it just hasn't been fixed yet.
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 3343
« Reply #11 on: 15:24, 16 April 18 »
I think you miss understood Tjohnsons advice. The yellow wire (32 of the disk drive side) should go to the middle. The blue wire (32 from the CPC) should go to the contact you haven't used at the moment.

To test if it works, the yellow wire (centre pin of switch) should read 0V when the switch is in one position and 5V when in the other position.

Bryce.

Offline Flonky_Tash

• CPC464
« Reply #12 on: 17:10, 16 April 18 »

I have just attempted that as well, but still no avail. Please see latest attachment. How does that look to you? 

Haven't tested with my multimeter yet. How exactly would I go about doing this?

This has become quite a saga!  :picard:

I think you miss understood Tjohnsons advice. The yellow wire (32 of the disk drive side) should go to the middle. The blue wire (32 from the CPC) should go to the contact you haven't used at the moment.

To test if it works, the yellow wire (centre pin of switch) should read 0V when the switch is in one position and 5V when in the other position.

Bryce.

Offline Bryce

• The Hardware Guy.
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #13 on: 17:17, 16 April 18 »
Looks fine. To test = Negative probe to the ground pin, positive probe to yellow wire. Meter set to voltage.

Bryce.

Offline Flonky_Tash

• CPC464
« Reply #14 on: 17:51, 16 April 18 »

Thanks, Bryce.

Tested with meter, I'm getting 5.22v in both switch positions. Seems that they aren't disconnecting when they should be?

Do you reckon it could be anything to do with the drive itself? It's a Sony MPF920, works as it should normally with pins 33 and 34 soldered together on the drive itself. I'm sure I read somewhere that Sony drives are bit a finicky?

Looks fine. To test = Negative probe to the ground pin, positive probe to yellow wire. Meter set to voltage.

Bryce.

Online tjohnson

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Liked: 98
« Reply #15 on: 20:27, 16 April 18 »
Double check the measurement on the switch, I think as per the photo earlier with the switch to the right you should get 0v and to the left you should get 5v.  Double check your switch doesn't have continuity between the left and right poles, you never know but seems unlikely.

Offline Flonky_Tash

• CPC464
« Reply #16 on: 21:11, 16 April 18 »

Yep, I've double checked the measurement and I just seem to be getting 5V either way. There's no continuity either. I'm going to try with a different drive and see what happens, as I'm confident I've wired the switch properly.

Double check the measurement on the switch, I think as per the photo earlier with the switch to the right you should get 0v and to the left you should get 5v.  Double check your switch doesn't have continuity between the left and right poles, you never know but seems unlikely.

Offline Bryce

• The Hardware Guy.
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #17 on: 21:41, 16 April 18 »
With the switch in the position "leaning towards the blue wire" there is no way on earth that you could measure 5.22V on the yellow wire because the yellow wire is a direct connection to ground in that case. Unless - A. The ground wire isn't really connected to ground, B. The switch doesn't work.

Bryce.

Offline Flonky_Tash

• CPC464
« Reply #18 on: 22:58, 16 April 18 »
I've got some ideas I'm going to try over the next couple of days. I WILL get this working! Thank you both for your help, you've definitely steered me in the right directions and I'm learning a lot, which is always a benefit :) I'll keep you updated!

Online tjohnson

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Liked: 98
« Reply #19 on: 23:20, 16 April 18 »
It really shouldn't be more complex than grounding pin 31 and 32 together to switch sides!  As I say I achieved this by adding a switch onto a spare connector on the cable, if you have any spare connectors this will be the easiest and you can test it simply by using a paperclip between them.