News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What does a dead ASIC look like? 464 Plus

Started by Overkill, 17:11, 10 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkill

Quote from: Bryce on 10:26, 15 December 17
By doing that you will bend the pins to different levels to force it to fit the uneven pads. It will make the IC very difficult to solder in afterwards or may even damage the part.

Bryce.

The ideal solution would be if I could get some of that rubber conductive layered contact strip that they used on LCD displays, although I would guess that they might have a too higher resistance.

Bryce

You'd have to find some with the correct pitch and even then it would be an unreliable balancing act.

Bryce.

Overkill

Quote from: Bryce on 10:34, 15 December 17
You'd have to find some with the correct pitch and even then it would be an unreliable balancing act.

Bryce.

No, the reason that would be ideal is that the pitch is micro small, so it conducts across the width and the height, but not across it's length.

Bryce

Seems like an aweful lot of (unreliable) hassle, when soldering it in would only take 2 minutes. The part you have linked to has nonconductive walls, only the dark section in the middle conducts, so you would need to line up the pins exactly on the dark part on four sides of a floating chip while trying to keep the pressure even on an uneven pad surface... Good luck with that!

Bryce.

Overkill

Yes, that linked isn't ideal, but you can get others.   The idea isn't really to just fix this computer, but to have a rig that would make it easy to test those IC's in future.

Bryce

If that's the goal, then I'd build something more robust which is quickly repeatable and reliable. Maybe you should consider wiring a QFP ZIF socket to the PCB?
Like this but with the correct pin count:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/IC-Sockel-Programmier-Adapter-SMD-TQFP48-QFP48-0-5mm-auf-DIP48-2-54mm-Pins/282665211851

Bryce.

Overkill

That would be good, if there is such a thing.

Bryce

You'll find them a lot cheaper, but unfortunately the QFP160 isn't as common as some of the other sizes like the 44, 64 or 128 so they won't be going for <€20.

Bryce.