News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Forum installation and loss of functionality

Started by Gryzor, 12:08, 20 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:53, 28 September 16
I think the idea is to have a new version of the forum so it is better protected from hacks and things like that.

I don't think it went as smoothly as Gryzor hoped it would. :(

That's actually a good idea!  :)

I see it's very hard to cope with all the tasks. Just hope it will all have a good end!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

1024MAK

Quote from: TFM on 20:58, 28 September 16Just hope it will all have a good end!  :)

As do we all  ;)

Still looks like we have around 170 "guests"  :(

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

I invested 20euros and too many years of my "no life" in this site...

hope no f***cking hacker will crack this unless they share the disk via Discology 6.0 on 3" disk.

Audronic

The Unread Button is Missing.
Whats new is not the main page ?

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:36, 28 September 16

Now, if anyone's got any idea about what to do with the bots that have been attacking our forum, I'd be very interested to hear from you. If you take a look at who's online you'll see that there are about 150 Guest entries doing god-knows-what (unknown function; I bet this is them trying to access the downloads that don't exist any more). They obviously keep hitting again and again because our server line is being maxed out...

I only have an silly idea, but I'll post it here in case someone can brainstorm on it.
I thought if there was some encryption system program for our Amstrad to decrypt when the server is online that should fix all them bots. But if it was just one of those type what's in the image sort of thing then that should work before going onto the forum.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Maniac

Sorry to say that Tapatalk seems to be broken again. Was working fine this morning but this evening it's back to Unread being the only way to surf content.

Bryce

It seems to break TapaTalk as soon as the "Recent Topics" has been moved to the top of the page. When it was at the bottom of the page TapaTalk still worked fine. Is there any problem with leaving it at the bottom?

Bryce.

Maniac

Quote from: Bryce on 08:15, 30 September 16
It seems to break TapaTalk as soon as the "Recent Topics" has been moved to the top of the page. When it was at the bottom of the page TapaTalk still worked fine. Is there any problem with leaving it at the bottom?

Bryce.
It seems more logical to have it at the top but personally I mainly access this via TapaTalk on my phone for convenience so would rather that worked. However at least I can use Unread if others feel it's better at the top!

Bryce

Quote from: Maniac on 08:42, 30 September 16
It seems more logical to have it at the top but personally I mainly access this via TapaTalk on my phone for convenience so would rather that worked. However at least I can use Unread if others feel it's better at the top!

It causes more problems than just the contents only available in "unread". If you log out of the forum on TapaTalk you can't get back in.

Bryce.

Maniac

Quote from: Bryce on 08:58, 30 September 16
It causes more problems than just the contents only available in "unread". If you log out of the forum on TapaTalk you can't get back in.

Bryce.

Thank goodness I haven't logged out of the forum in the app or it's done it for me!

Gryzor

Ok... so do I leave Unread on top, even though WE HAVE THE UNREAD TAB IN THE TOP MENU or do we prefer Tapatalk?

Bryce

TapaTalk.

But you can put the unread list at the bottom of the page without effecting TapaTalk as far as I could see.

Bryce.

Gryzor

It was somewhat different at the bottom, but let's see...

Maniac

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:49, 30 September 16
Wahooo! All working again.

Thanks for sorting @Gryzor - I'm sure this is a right headache. Doesn't make much sense either that such a "simple" change would have such a drastic impact on a plugin.

Gryzor

Have you guys tested all its functions?

thanks for the kind words @Maniac :) Unfortunately, Tapatalk is a very badly programmed tool that does not rely on the normal forum APIs and feeds to do its job but instead latches on to it and starts sucking stuff, so that if something is not like it expects it will break...

Bryce

Yes, all functions working normal in Android and iOS.

Bryce.

1024MAK

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:06, 30 September 16
Unfortunately, Tapatalk is a very badly programmed tool that does not rely on the normal forum APIs and feeds to do its job but instead latches on to it and starts sucking stuff, so that if something is not like it expects it will break...
Some forum admins won't use Tapatalk because it does not use proper tie in methods (it uses unauthorised methods). Atari-Forum is still awaiting answers about this and has a ticket open with Tapatalk.

I did not use it much when I did have it. But when I found out that the Atari-Forum Admin considered it to be a security risk, I removed it from my devices.

Mark

Gryzor

Not sure it's a security risk, but I know what you're talking about.

In fact, what is funny right now is that it obviously works to some degree, and yet... guess what? I Haven't installed it :D So, yeah, weird stuff.

SOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:36, 30 September 16
Ok... so do I leave Unread on top, even though WE HAVE THE UNREAD TAB IN THE TOP MENU or do we prefer Tapatalk?
Both  :blank:
My opinion is, that the news stand up on the page and are not buried in the middle somewhere.
Tapatalk is very interesting, when I'm on road.

But it's your decision...

Gryzor

Not really mine, it's what the users want :)

I tend to think that Tapatalk is still the best way to use a forum on a mobile, so... but why oh why doesn't anyone else make a competing product :(

1024MAK

Quote from: Bryce on 12:47, 30 September 16But you can put the unread list at the bottom of the page without effecting TapaTalk as far as I could see.
Quote from: Gryzor on 12:49, 30 September 16
The three different flavours of the unread list (seperate page, at the top of the main index page / 'home' page, at the bottom of the main index page / 'home' page) have differences.

The seperate page list (via the link in the top short-cuts / links on the main index page) only includes posts with new unread posts.

The version that was at the top of the main index page showed both posts with new unread posts and also still showed threads that had recent posts but where you had read the all the posts. I think this version would be better described as active topics / active threads. I find this version the most useful, as for me, it's the fastest way of keeping up-to-date with recent threads I may be interested in. And I get positive conformation that a thread I have recently read does not have any new posts when I click through to the "home" page.

The unread list at the bottom of the main index page gives less information, and is harder to use with touch screen mobile devices (at least with my fingers, I have to try to be very accurate with my touch, or I end up looking at the wrong thread).

I don't use Tapatalk so don't much care if it breaks, but do respect that this forum does have users that enjoy using it. So although personally I would like the version of the unread list that appears at the top of the 'home' page. I can fully understand the dilemma...

Mark

Duke

Completely agree with @1024MAK .

Was there issues with TapaTalk before the re-install? - As it had the proper "Recent threads".

Gryzor

I don't get the advantage of looking at "active" threads where you have read all the posts. How is it 'keeping up' looking at the same thing (essentially, since there are no replies)?

I was looking into server-side includes to see how to manually add the functionality we're discussing, but I vowed that I'd do no manual hacks this time around, at least until SMF 2.1 is released (because much will break then). I wonder... perhaps a separate page with recent posts/topics, stats etc? Would that be of any use? Or maybe we should try a portal-like environment? Take a look at http://simpleportal.net/ - fully customiseable...

@Duke : I think that yes, there were issues indeed. Probably because TT, instead of relying on the SMF engine to pull the relevant info, it tried to brute-force its way...

Audronic

@Gryzor

Its still falling over.   Damn.
This is during a Post of a PM to a Member.

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.