News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Floppy Emulator - Drive step buzzer

Started by CraigsBar, 20:12, 26 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Hi Guys,

OK so I want to add a drive step buzzer to a Gotek Clone.

I bought some 3 pin 5v buzzers and connected up the +5v and Gnd to the power header on the drive. I then connected the Signal wire to pin 12 on the 26pin header (Drive Step) but the result is constant buzzing. Disconnect the signal wire and it's silent.

I guess there is alwas some level of signal on the header causing the buzzer to be constant active. can anyone help with the Specs of the Drive step signal, and suggest what value resistor should drop it to a more reasonable signal for the buzzer.

the buzzer itself is one of these.....

5pcs 5V Active Buzzer Module High Level Trigger Buzzer Dashboard FOR Arduino UK

Thanks

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Audronic

@CraigsBar

""Module Description: 1.S8050 transistor drive modules
2.Operating voltage 3.3V-5V
3.With fixed bolt hole for easy installation
4.Small PCB board size: 3.2cm * 1.3cm
5.When the I / O port input high, the buzzer sounds

I thought the step signal was Hi until a Step was required, Perhaps an inverter on the input ??
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Be adventurous, mod it yourself: Remove the transistor and bridge the two pads shown below. The Step output driver should have no problem sinking a few extra milliamps from the buzzer :) You only need the 5V and the I/O pins connected, you can leave GND disconnected.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Cheers guys. Will try that tonight ;)

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:26, 27 September 16
Cheers guys. Will try that tonight ;)

Ok so that kinda works.......

it is so quiet that there is no chance of it being audible once the case is closed. even with the resistor patched out as well.

I have ordered some trigger low buzzers too so will fit one of those when they get here.

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:40, 27 September 16
Ok so that kinda works.......

it is so quiet that there is no chance of it being audible once the case is closed. even with the resistor patched out as well.

I have ordered some trigger low buzzers too so will fit one of those when they get here.

The resistor is the base bias resistor to limit the current across the base/emitter junction. It's no longer part of the circuit once the transistor has been removed.
I assume you've removed that white sticker too?  :picard:

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 08:31, 28 September 16
The resistor is the base bias resistor to limit the current across the base/emitter junction. It's no longer part of the circuit once the transistor has been removed.
I assume you've removed that white sticker too?  :picard:

Bryce.
Following the traces, the io pin goes straight to the resistor, then onto the transistor pin that got shorted. No matter I cannibalised this buzzer module now to replace the broken buzzer on my HxC (apparently a full beer bottle falling from a display shelf way above the CPC and landing directly on the buzzer results in an effect know as "smashed to f*ck") now with the buzzer replaced, that works noisily again.

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:05, 28 September 16
Following the traces, the io pin goes straight to the resistor, then onto the transistor pin that got shorted. No matter I cannibalised this buzzer module now to replace the broken buzzer on my HxC (apparently a full beer bottle falling from a display shelf way above the CPC and landing directly on the buzzer results in an effect know as "smashed to f*ck") now with the buzzer replaced, that works noisily again.

Doh!  :picard: You're right. I originally planned to draw a bridge from the I/O pin to the transistor pad (which would have bridged the resistor), then I changed the drawing and forgot about the resistor!  :picard:

Is the buzzer too quiet or is the buzz just too short?

Bryce.

CraigsBar

It's simply not loud enough. Once it's in a case it'd be inaudible.

No matter, once the low trigger one gets here I'll fit that ;)

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:13, 28 September 16
It's simply not loud enough. Once it's in a case it'd be inaudible.

No matter, once the low trigger one gets here I'll fit that ;)

I doubt that will be louder if it uses the same buzzer.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

We'll if it is as loud as that one was when constantly triggered then it'll be fine.... Here's hoping.

Bryce

I think the problem is that it's not constantly buzzing. So you can view the pulsed step signal as a low duty cycle PWM signal, ie: a 5V buzzer that's essentially only getting 2.5V or less. It's never going to be loud is the pulses are too short.

Bryce.