News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

"Amstrad CPC Awards 2015"

Started by Gryzor, 17:44, 22 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Zoe Robinson

My goodness, that frog one gave me a headache just looking at it. It's bizarre! I'll probably try giving Megablasters a go at some point, too. I've always loved Bomberman and its various clones, so this looks like a fun one to try.

Nich

Erm, several of the games featured in this video were released before 2015 - and the game called Cidelsa in this video is actually called Altair. :picard:

And 2015 isn't finished yet, so there may yet be more CPC games released before the end of the year (yes, Targhan, I'm looking at you! :laugh:)

ukmarkh

Quote from: Nich on 21:38, 22 November 15
Erm, several of the games featured in this video were released before 2015 - and the game called Cidelsa in this video is actually called Altair. :picard:

And 2015 isn't finished yet, so there may yet be more CPC games released before the end of the year (yes, Targhan, I'm looking at you! :laugh: )

Oh dear... Apologies, I will remove, update and re-review. There's very little information available for these games.

What are the other games you mentioned that came out before 2015?

MacDeath

I think a few more games would have deserved a mention, Toptop seems like a fine product if you ask me and co-op games are not that common on CPC.

BTW cool video, thx a lot.

ukmarkh

Probably, but these vids take long enough as it is, and to be honest, these are probably the only games I enjoyed and would go back to.

I just thought, it is about time we had an Amstrad game awards... For 2016 we could all take things a bit further and vote online for our favourite game.

I did play TOPTOP, but it wasn't really for me. I imagine this idea of working together cooperatively in games if applied in a similar manner, could really be onto something for future CPC releases.

One thing is for sure though, CPC games are getting better.   

reidrac

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:55, 23 November 15
Probably, but these vids take long enough as it is, and to be honest, these are probably the only games I enjoyed and would go back to.

I'm glad you enjoyed Space Pest Control! Not bad for a game put together from scratch in less than 2 months ;) (yes, I think "budget game" fits reasonably well).

I plan to release at least another game before the end of 2015. It is your list and your preferences, obviously; but as others said it might be worth waiting until January 2016 to be sure nothing interesting is left out ;)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

ukmarkh

Hi, well done that man! Space Pest Control kept me at it for quite a few hours. I actually believe Mastertronic or CodeMasters would have snapped this up back in the day. I wish the sprites looked a bit more pixelated, and were a bit more detailed, you know, like you see in Renegade... And more variety in the enemies, but like you mentioned, for something done in less than two months, this is simply amazing! Imagine what you'd achieve if you had six months :o

I don't really know what to say, the awards are pretty close to the end of 2015, I just needed to get it published as I have kids, a job and a wife... Sorry  ;)  If you do release this month and it's good, then I'll seriously have to consider including it in the 2016 awards :D

Nich

Quote from: ukmarkh on 04:00, 23 November 15

Oh dear... Apologies, I will remove, update and re-review. There's very little information available for these games.

What are the other games you mentioned that came out before 2015?
Well, the video has been removed now and replaced with another one, but from memory, I saw Altair (2014), La Guerra de Gamber (2014), Maziacs (2013) and Overkoban (2013) in the old video.

Bryce

TFM

Would be nice to have such vids for 2010-2014 too. IMHO a lot of games were released during this time.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ukmarkh

I'm already doing the 'What happened between then and now' video  ;D

The issue I have is when did commercial game development finish for the CPC? 

reidrac

There aren't that many CPC releases every year (compared with the ZX Spectrum scene, at least); so it should be easy to track.

What would be the place to get a canonical list? cpc-power, cpc-rulez? Other? Is there anything like csdb.dk for the CPC?

cpc rulez allows filtering by year, but lists announced and yet to be released games; like my "Return of Traxtor", nice! cpc-power lists 43 games for 2015 (so far).

Again, it is your video and your time, but I'd be nice to have a video-review of what's going on in the CPC games scene.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Bryce

Octoate tends to announce the release of anything CPC related, this might be a good place to start: The Amstrad CPC news portal

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Thanks for the info chaps!

TBH, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to doing these video's. Ideally, I'd wanna go interview people from the scene, get their opinions and have a pint with 'em. I personally like like the early computer and video gaming culture and limitations these machines posed.

Return to Traxtor looks good (My kinda game), if you'd like me to do an exclusive video review, just let me know?  ;) 

The one thing this type of game can't have is lag on the keypress... apart from that, looks great.

TFM

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:25, 25 November 15

Cyber Chicken 2013 was commercial, while Space Chicken 2014 was not. Any commercial games after 12/2013?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Nich

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:25, 25 November 15

TFM may insist that the answer's 2013, but if you're talking about the 'golden age' of the 8-bits, the last commercial games released by major software houses (e.g. Titus, Code Masters, Gremlin) were released in 1993. Radical Software released a few games commercially in 1994 but I think they were only available by mail order from the software house itself.

TFM

I can understand somewhat where you're going too. But if where do you want to draw the line. I mean there were games like Subhunter and others commercially available too. The new golden age are the 2010's (imho). Seriously drawing a line is imho a personal thing and probably most people would choose another date. Maybe it's better just to look if a game was sold commercially or not.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

Have to be honnest the 2005-2015 era (last 10 years) saw quite some nice prods...

according to CPC-Power...

2000 = 0 games
2001 = 1 game
2002 = 3...
2003 = 4 games (it starts a bit again...
2004 = 5 (spanish studios are starting  producing, thx CEZ)
2005 = 11 (now we can talk)

2006 = 10
2007 = 12 (many prods start looking more professionnal, Star Sabre, groops, also start to have some PLUS things like Frogger
2008 = 7

2009 = 16 : explosion of games... with highly praised prods such as Orion Prime, rick Dangerous 128PLUS, Nanako series, Spanish companies flooding the market too in a good way...
2010 = 8 (fewer... but Advanced Lawnmowing Simulator, Dead on Time, collective projects such as Color Line, Mojon Twins on the front too... blue angel)

the new "quasi-professionnal prods era" had started...

2011 = 7
BB4CPC, SubHunter, EdgeGrinder

2012 = 12
PacMan emulator, R-Type128k

2013 = 34 prods...
actually the Alicante university gamemaking contest CPCretroDev started this year... also the 16k ROM contest if i remember correctly... but also some neat releases such as Cyber-Poulets, DeathSword, invasion of zombi monsters, Relentless, Overkoban...

2014 =  37 prods...

2015 = 43 prods...

Needless to say, the CPCretrodev contest sort of change the thing.
while many of its prods are not really high profile games, there was a long term effect too...
Some contestants would become new scene members and participate on next year, now it is opened to the whole scene as well and it clearly is a great stimulation.

Also the new GX4000 cartridges changed a lot the thing, as it enables Console collectionners who happened to own a GX4000 to come to CPC world too.

Recent years also saw the availability of many great new peripherals with Mother4X compatibility...

So yeah, last 10 years really saw some renaissance for the CPC world. somewhat 10 years after CPC death.

1993-1994 = last commercial era prods.
1995 = 23 prods.
1996 = 9 prods... the gap.

so the 30 years were 10 years of commercial era, 10 years of sleeping era, 10 years or renaissance.
Not counting demos and apps...

QuoteAny commercial games after 12/2013?
Athanor ?

TFM

Great Compilation MacDeath! Thanks a lot for getting all that together!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

should be better to actually have nice stats charts in colours and so on...
could need a bit of work, or may be implemented to the CPC-Power website itself...  ::)

post edit : I only took account of "games"... Demos and apps were neever dead on CPC, so as graphics prods (screens) or graphics compilations or music packs... but to me game productions are the best sign of a scene health ... 2000 according to CPCpowers saw actually no game released so it is quite a symbolic year. while 2004-2005 and later saw productions of "pro" homebrew thx to mostly spanish dudes.

Also a few "hack" project were quite influencial I guess to take conscience of the potential of CPC compaired to what was actually done..

Be it Rick Dangerous 128+, R-Type 128k, Dead Sword 128k... showed that the extra 64k was the thing that really can make a difference (also PLUS features)

PacMan emulator or Frogger PLUS can show that arcade can be quite peerfectibly achieved on CPC/PLUS as well. (well... pre-1984 arcade at least... lol)

Bollaware are also quite special as they were the ones holding the torch during the "dead era".

and Axelay also have a great share of badassness from the renaissance era, prooving great shooters could be achieved on CPC...

CEZ, ESP and Mojons were really active during those 10 years with products not especially technically achievement breakers, but with quite nice graphics indeed... Basically those spanish dudes showed us the way in many ways, be it awesome 64k prods, Mega Demo and so on.
(yeah, Cesar, you too...I knew this frog game joke was french bashing... lol )

but basically to release a nice game or even a cool hack or remakes of older game is such an achievement in itself.
the Bar was quite reased... no proper prod would dare to not offer nice menu, intro sequence and whatever lavished detail of the best commercial era prods...

Let's just hope next 10 years will produce as much fun and impressiveness on Amstrad 8bit Machines.

Puresox

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:27, 26 November 15
should be better to actually have nice stats charts in colours and so on...
could need a bit of work, or may be implemented to the CPC-Power website itself...  ::)

post edit : I only took account of "games"... Demos and apps were neever dead on CPC, so as graphics prods (screens) or graphics compilations or music packs... but to me game productions are the best sign of a scene health ... 2000 according to CPCpowers saw actually no game released so it is quite a symbolic year. while 2004-2005 and later saw productions of "pro" homebrew thx to mostly spanish dudes.

Also a few "hack" project were quite influencial I guess to take conscience of the potential of CPC compaired to what was actually done..

Be it Rick Dangerous 128+, R-Type 128k, Dead Sword 128k... showed that the extra 64k was the thing that really can make a difference (also PLUS features)

PacMan emulator or Frogger PLUS can show that arcade can be quite peerfectibly achieved on CPC/PLUS as well. (well... pre-1984 arcade at least... lol)

Bollaware are also quite special as they were the ones holding the torch during the "dead era".

and Axelay also have a great share of badassness from the renaissance era, prooving great shooters could be achieved on CPC...

CEZ, ESP and Mojons were really active during those 10 years with products not especially technically achievement breakers, but with quite nice graphics indeed... Basically those spanish dudes showed us the way in many ways, be it awesome 64k prods, Mega Demo and so on.
(yeah, Cesar, you too...I knew this frog game joke was french bashing... lol )

but basically to release a nice game or even a cool hack or remakes of older game is such an achievement in itself.
the Bar was quite reased... no proper prod would dare to not offer nice menu, intro sequence and whatever lavished detail of the best commercial era prods...

Let's just hope next 10 years will produce as much fun and impressiveness on Amstrad 8bit Machines.
Lol Surely not!? Thought it was a great game anyhow,'Top top' was also an interesting addition to our machine. A great flood of games at the latter end of the year