News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Yie Ar Kung Fu 2

Started by chinnyhill10, 18:41, 20 January 17

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Well what a crushing disappointment this is after the superb original game.

Doesn't help that the original MSX version isn't that good but the CPC version is much slower and uglier than the 1st game.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

It's a port from the MSX version as opposed to the arcade because there was no arcade version to begin with. Konami licenced the name to Ocean to produce a sequel for the home computers afterwards. Kinda like a similar deal they struck with Renegade later.

Which is why you can't find ROMs or longplays of the arcade, because it doesn't exist.  ;)

Edit: Actually you mentioned that, apologies.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

sigh

I was really disappointed with this game. I played Yie Ar Kung Fu to death as a kid when we used to go to Margate in the early 80's, where I would desperately seek out that game amongst the sprawling ground of arcades everywhere during that time.

So my question:

What would you like to see in a Yie Ar Kung Fu 3?

Shaun M. Neary

One of the things I loved about the original Yie-Ar Kung-Fu, was that they were quite precise in the programming. You could play the CPC version of this game, and then load the arcade ROM on MAME and use the exact same techniques to win the game. They were practically clones.

This sequel was just too slow, clunky and flickery to even care about. I finished it once and never went back to it again. I might give it another play later to remind me of it's mediocrity.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Carnivius

Quote from: sigh on 13:13, 21 January 17

What would you like to see in a Yie Ar Kung Fu 3?

Why do you ask?  Are you going to make Yie Ar Kung Fu 3?   :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

sigh

Quote from: Carnivius on 10:45, 22 January 17
Why do you ask?  Are you going to make Yie Ar Kung Fu 3?   :)

No. Definitely not.

We've seen a lot of reboots of older games, so I was just trying to get peoples thoughts on what they would like to see if Konami (or whoever has the rights to it) decided to create a third installment.

I would love to see a Yie Ar Kung Fu 3, but I would like to see it represented like a Shaw Brothers movie where everything would be focused on fancy blocks and dodges, with one or 2 hits that KO's the opponent :) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWvF5kSiSHM

The first Yie Ar Kung Fu already felt like this to me with the straight solid, 1 frame movements of the characters and how the moves sometimes missed which made it look as though the ove was dodged. It really felt like an old school kung fu film.

Dizrythmia

I'm pretty sure that something happens if you have Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 in the first MSX cartridge port & the original Yie Ar Kung Fu in the second. I forget what, but a Google search should fix that :)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 02:57, 23 January 17
I'm pretty sure that something happens if you have Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 in the first MSX cartridge port & the original Yie Ar Kung Fu in the second. I forget what, but a Google search should fix that :)

It does and I wish I'd known as I have both. I'm yet to try it but apparently Lee from the original game will appear and will give you a power up when you are near death.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Carnivius

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife