Author Topic: The Amsoft 12 Pack  (Read 615 times)

Offline Zoe Robinson

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Read Error B
    • ZoeRobinson.com
  • Liked: 353
The Amsoft 12 Pack
« on: 19:28, 04 December 17 »
Hey guys,

I never had this set of programs back in the CPC's heyday, my CPCs were either too early or too late in production time (depending on which one I'm talking about - I ended up having three of them over the years) so I never owned most of these games. I played a good deal of them on friends' computers though and I remember them being good at the time.

How do they fare in the face of more than thirty years of gaming?

Offline Dagger

• CPC664
  • Liked: 19
Re: The Amsoft 12 Pack
« Reply #1 on: 12:44, 05 December 17 »
There is a few that I still play fore more than a few minutes. Galactic Plaque is hard but I like this one, some people can get frustrated with this one as you can get killed very quickly, worth persevering with. Oh Mummy is still a good game to play, most of the family can still play this one. Xanagrams is good for a brain workout. Roland in the Caves is another frustrating one but still playable. The others I don't bother with, I know some people like Harrier Attack and Fruit Machine etc but not for me.
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

Offline Zoe Robinson

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Read Error B
    • ZoeRobinson.com
  • Liked: 353
« Reply #2 on: 19:01, 06 December 17 »
Galactic Plague is a game that requires you to memorise patterns. Once you know the patterns, it's actually not that difficult to play. I'm surprised it has such a bad reputation because it's actually quite fun.

Oh Mummy is an absolute classic in my view. I love it. It's good, clean fun.

You can keep Xanagrams, however. I'll stick to a decent crossword. ;)

Offline EgoTrip

• 6128 Plus
    • http://egochip.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Liked: 613
« Reply #3 on: 01:38, 07 December 17 »
Xanagrams has potential to be a much better game, but it's just a half-assed attempt. 5 words max? Really? It's not terrible, and when I was a kid it was educational to a degree but it's only type-in quality and not worthy of a full release.

Besides that there were no other bad tapes. AVM and Timeman One both served their purposes as educational tools, the latter being the better of the two. I never used Easi Amsword as I never had a printer.

I liked Bridge-It. Once you got the hang of it, it was quite addictive, like an old LCD game with better graphics. Galactic Plague is tough but again its got an addictive quality to it, you want one more go to get further than before, as does Fruit Machine. Harrier Attack isn't my thing but for one of the first games produced for the machine, it's good.

The two Roland games were high quality, even if flawed, for the time they were released, and Oh Mummy is a classic. Sultan's Maze is slow, but it's a good game. Very primitive and basic yes, but it's still playable.
EgoTrip's Stuff

Offline Shaun M. Neary

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Loading: Please Wait...
    • Shaun Neary Photography
  • Liked: 253
« Reply #4 on: 13:29, 07 December 17 »
Galactic Plague is a game that requires you to memorise patterns. Once you know the patterns, it's actually not that difficult to play. I'm surprised it has such a bad reputation because it's actually quite fun.

THIS! Finally someone speaks sense about the Galactic Plague.
It was by no means a bad game at all. But if you're a lazy gamer that wants to finish a game in 30 minutes with ease, than this isn't for you. Lazerwarp was also good, but it wasn't a freebie.

- Harrier Attack was also awesome. First two levels are a load of shit, but from level 3 on, it got more frantic.
- Enjoyed Roland On The Ropes for a short while but it got repetitive very quickly.
- Timeman One and Animal Vegetable Mineral were fucking awful, even a six year old would think they were shite.
- Bridge it: "This is the game that ne-ver-ends!"
- Roland In The Caves never did anything for me at all.
- Sultans Maze was terrible. 17 minutes load from tape for some of the slowest loading mazes in history.
- Oh Mummy: Killed so much time on this one. Just a same once you got past level 5, you went around in circles again.

Everything else, I'm reserving comment on for the sake of being polite.
Amstrad CPC464
Amstrad 6128+
M4 board, Mother X4, Gotek HXC, 3.5" external w/ ABBA switch, Zmem and MFII clone.
GX4000 w/ C4CPC... Forever playing Bruce Lee