News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Roland Series - GameHammer

Started by Zoe Robinson, 12:08, 06 August 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

Hey guys!

This was a big one for me and I saved it for the thirtieth GameHammer review. It's all nine official Roland games, reviewed in one big video. I'm really happy with how this one came together and I think you'll enjoy it, too. :)

Which Roland game was your favourite (and least favourite). For me, Roland Goes Digging is probably the most re-playable, due to its arcade nature, but I still have a soft spot for Roland in Time because it was the first Roland game I remember playing.

The worst has to be Roland on the Run, because it's basically unplayable.

mr_lou

I'm somewhat biased when it comes to Roland Ahoy, because of the fond memories I have of that game. I used to play it with my cousin back in the good old days, and it will therefor always be a great childhood memory. I found it rather interesting, and still think it's nice.
The ammo-fetching part is fun. You gotta see how much you can get. If you're fast you can get 3 batches (I think). For some reason it kinda reminds me of Game & Watch games, which I also like a lot. :-)

Roland goes Digging was always my favorite of them all though.

AMSDOS

I grew up with Roland in Time, though it wasn't one of the AMSOFT games we'd load often because it took so long compared with Harrier Attack or Astro Attack or more often than not we'd have to get a whole new Joystick because of Astro Attack! All that changed when I saved all my pocket money for a Star Cursor Joystick. After rekindling my interest in a Disc based 6128 with Colour Monitor and getting a whole pile of stuff from O J Software in the mid-90s, I purchased Roland on the Ropes and Roland in the Caves, Roland on the Ropes was my favourite of the 2. I knew about Roland goes Digging, Roland Ahoy! & Roland on the Run from the Catalogue AMSOFT had put out, I don't think it had Roland in Space in there, though new about that one from an early ACU magazine we had. I probably haven't enjoyed Roland goes Digging for difficulty like Roland in the Caves, though those games are better than Roland on the Ropes, I never played Roland Ahoy! as a kid, though in more recent times its been one of those ones I enjoy playing. Guiding your sailing ship on that Map screen reminds me of one of those Nintendo Super Mario Brothers games, I wonder where that got that idea from!  ;)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I wonder if anyone with the skills has considered fixing the RotR flicker? I presume it uses the CPC CRTC character scroll and redraws the scoreboard at an inopportune time?

Zoe Robinson

It seems I am outnumbered in my dislike of Roland Ahoy!:laugh:

Fixing Roland on the Ropes would be a nice little project for someone who knows what they are doing. I'd love to see it if anyone does it.

andycadley

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 19:05, 07 August 17
It seems I am outnumbered in my dislike of Roland Ahoy!:laugh:
If it helps, I think it's terrible. Roland in Time remains my favourite.

Puresox

When I was a kid , Roland Ahoy ,sort of intrigued me . But I thought it may be a little lacking. When I got into the retro scene again . I didn't/Hadn't bothered with it further than a cursory play . But in recent times I have considered it may have some value .
Something about it Charms me . Even though it is very simple in its rinse, repeat type play . I always liked games that have different scenes linked. I think I am going to give it a play through and at least do a little circuit, which is more time  than I have really given it before. I think it is just a nostalgia buzz of seeing it in the Amsoft mag and wondering what it was about.