Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Double Dragon - Longplay & Review

Started by NewsBot, 06:00, 25 February 11

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Double Dragon - Longplay & Review
25 February 2011, 4:54 am

[AMSTRAD CPC] Double Dragon - Longplay & Review

The great Amstrad DOUBLE DRAGON mystery! How did we come to end up with 2 versions of the same game? One shocking bad, one amazingly brilliant?!! I try to explain ... but it does get confusing!!!! Well see here at the Double Dragon Dojo website for the whole sordid tale - doubledragon.kontek.net doubledragon.kontek.net It does go someway into explaining the mystery! Their review - doubledragon.kontek.net And as usual get the Amstrad game and full details at CPC Power - cpc-power.com
Time: 33:10More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

sigh

sigh

Well done on the review. I had the other Double Dragon version and had know idea that this version existed at the time. It was a good few years before this release was known to me. I would love to have seen the review done in 2 player mode as that was the biggest concept that made Double Dragon shine.

norecess

One of my preferred game when I was a kid. I loved the ending when playing with 2 players - you have to kill other player to survive and win !!

Xyphoe

Thanks guys!

1) Damn I forgot to mention 2 player mode!!! ARSE

That will be rectified in the Double Dragon 2 vid...

2) The Jimmy vs Lee face off I think only occurs at the end of Double Dragon 2, not the first game. I might be wrong though.

3) So.......... did anyone actually manage to buy this version (the 128k Richard Aplin one) at the time or since? If so can anyone confirm the box art??

redbox

I only ever played the first version but remember that there were two versions.

Nice to have a video explaining it all, really enjoyed this one.  :)

sigh

Quote from: Xyphoe on 13:43, 26 February 11
Thanks guys!

1) Damn I forgot to mention 2 player mode!!! ARSE

That will be rectified in the Double Dragon 2 vid...

That would be great! Would be good to see the 2 player mode in action.

Quote from: Xyphoe on 13:43, 26 February 11

2) The Jimmy vs Lee face off I think only occurs at the end of Double Dragon 2, not the first game. I might be wrong though.

The face of occurs in the first Double Dragon as they fight over Marion. In the second version, Marion is killed and they work together to fight mirrored images of themselves on the last leve l( it's a bit too "magicky" for my taste.)

MacDeath

Quote2) The Jimmy vs Lee face off I think only occurs at the end of Double Dragon 2, not the first game. I might be wrong though.
Having played the Arcade a lot, this occur in the first opus... perhaps in the second to... ar least in Arcade...

Damn I played this Arcade so many times with my bro...
Was one of our fave'...

Too bad the CPC "good" version would really need a serious Hack and a complete Graphic re-touch...

Just too bad the graphic-port was calculated and not Hand-remade.... not corrected, as we know the strange CPC palette often give odd results.

DD2 is somewhat betterly ported (graphically)... yet not exactly perfect too...

Is anyone of you able to hack this game and exctract the Graphics ??

Would just need a proper Ink re-assignation and a very few pixel re-touch to get it Arcade-perfect (for an Amstrad...)

norecess

I never liked the DD2. It was a different game to me! mainly because of the graphics.

norecess

ps. that's funny that at this time, a second version of a game meant (sometimes) a complete rewrite of the game.. in today's industry, we have code reuse which is of course more efficient in term of development workflow but still ; many times next iterations of a game looks like first iteration because using same engine..

steve

All platform games look the same to me, so I always thought they used the same engine and simply changed the graphics, even games from different companies.

sigh

Quote from: steve on 00:22, 28 February 11
All platform games look the same to me, so I always thought they used the same engine and simply changed the graphics, even games from different companies.
Both the Double Dragons on the CPC definitely use the same music. So it maybe the same engine.
It's a shame about the music as DD had some good tunes (Mission 2 being my favourite). The first mission track of arcade DD2 is also really good.

remax

I bought this version. With my brother, we were big big fan of Double Dragon. What a shock it has been when we played it for the first time in arcade.

I remember going to various shops and asking if a CPC version of Double Dragon ever existed. And we did that regulary for a year. And then one day, a french magazine (Amstrad 100%) did a review (it got 94%) on it as it has at least been adapted and we ran to buy it and played a lot on it.

I can't be 100% affirmative on the box art but it effectively remind me strongly of something.

I like DD2 too, but i find it too much easy (we finished it at our first try) and a bit weird in comparison to the first one
Brain Radioactivity

Xyphoe

OK!!!

You'll see in another topic in this sub-forum that Double Dragon II vid is now online.

At the start of this I've remedied my omissions of this video namely -

1) The 2 player mode in action! Which is excellent!!

2) Billy and Jimmy Lee do both fight it off against each other after defeating Willy as long as the 2nd player is active

Note in DDII in the arcade, the players each fight 'clones' of each other but in the Amstrad version like DDI they fight each other again.