'Script' Newsletter now available online

Started by andrewferguson, 14:36, 18 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewferguson

I just thought I would let this forum know that I have just finished uploading all of the issues of the 'Script' newsletter to the Internet Archive, where they are now available for anyone to view and download. It took about six months total to get these uploaded – I scanned them at 1200dpi in order to get the best quality, which not only took several hours per newsletter, but also resulted in around 200GB of files which needed to be uploaded.

The newsletters are available here: https://archive.org/details/locomotivesoftwarescriptnewsletter

If you are going to look at them, and don't need the top quality, I recommend that you use the online viewer rather than downloading the PDFs – because of the high quality it takes quite a few minutes to download and open.

The newsletters really do provide a fascinating insight into Locomotive Software during 1987 and 1991 (at least in my opinion). Also uploaded is a order form from November 87 which provides an interesting reference regarding pricing, etc.

If you have any feedback or questions, just reply to this thread. Also, if you find a mistake in one of the uploads, let me know as well (I checked through them, but no doubt I missed something).

A huge thanks must go to Steve Denson (SD Microsystems) for giving me permission to upload these.

Gryzor

I had never heard of Script before, but I just browsed through a few pages... quite nice!

Not sure if 1200dpi is worth it, but the work is top-notch indeed. Thanks!

andrewferguson

Yes, if I was doing this again, I would probably do 600dpi. Additionally, the scanner I used was not the best (and SLOW), which didn't help things.

Although, since I scanned them in, I have got a new (well not really, its from 2010, but newer than the other one!) scanner with a maximum resolution of 4800dpi! - they should really stop making them this good, it is too much of a temptation! (thankfully for my sanity, I need to upgrade the RAM on my computer before I can take advantage of anything over 1200, which I won't be doing for a while yet.).

andrewferguson

I just thought I would let this forum know that a few weeks ago I saw on ebay another issue of the 'Script' newsletter that I did not have scanned in. It appears to be a free complementary issue that was given out when you bough one of Locomotive Software's other products like LocoScript or LocoSpell. Naturally, I bought it, and it is now scanned in and available with all the rest. I scanned it using a different (better) scanner than last time, so although it looks a bit darker than the others, that is closer to what they look like in real life.

I am pretty sure I have not got all the newsletters, although I thought that when I had scanned in the first lot. If someone knows that there are more complementary / promotional issues that I have not yet got, let me know and I'll keep a lookout for them.

I also got some promotional LocoScript 2 newsletters, and some other unofficial training material, which I also scanned in and hopefully will upload in the coming weeks.