News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad PCW 8256 Games Archive

Started by zzarko, 23:27, 20 January 19

Previous topic - Next topic

zzarko

After several days of digging, reading about CP/M and plain trying various things, I think I now have the most complete archive of Amstrad PCW 8256 games to date. All games have been made autoboot, for easy usage with Gotek-equipped PCWs and with PCW emulators. If you are interested, the archive can be found at:
http://8bitchip.info/commodore/Amstrad_PCW_8256_Games_Archive.tar.gz

If you have some games that aren't in the archive (I know there are more), and you are willing to share them, please contact me.
464,664,6128,6128+,NC150,NC200,Joyce512,PPC512, PenPad, www.oncuponabyte.org

Token

Sebastian Blanco

robcfg

Hi @zzarko , it would be nice to include a readme file with the list of sites you got the games from.

That way, people interested in knowing more will have a list of places where to start. Also, many people spend money and time buying, dumping and scanning all that software and it feels like basic courtesy just to credit them for their efforts.

Other than that, great work! Nice pack of ready to use PCW software!

zzarko

I initially started with CPCGamesCD (http://amstrad.es/cpcgamescd/), and I informed the author of that compilation. After that it was numerous forums, small collections and ftp sites, and I really do not know from where each file originated. To my defense, most collections had exactly the same dsk files (I checked with CRC checksum), and I have no idea who originally made them. Also, for all other collections (especially FTP sites), I didn't see acknowledgments, so it didn't occur to me to track origins of every file I downloaded.

I made clear that files were collected from numerous sources and didn't took credit for them. Files that are made by me are numerous autoboot dks files for games that didn't have them (of course, I didn't write CP/M files that are the core of those, but I think that is pretty obvious).

I have also spent money on my 3" disc collection, transferred them to dsk files and found that their files are the same as in other dsk files I found around. And I spent the time to make the compilation.

PCW section for CPCGamesCD is mostly made from ftp.nvg.ntnu.no, and I checked that ftp server for updates and found almost no PCW files. Also, most sites with PCW games that I found through Google do not exist anymore. Web archive had some copies, but mostly without files. So, even if I did record from where I got each file, that information would be outdated in a year or two, as sites come and go.

So, if  you have the knowledge of origins of dsk files, please share, as I do not.

FloppySoftware

Quote from: zzarko on 23:27, 20 January 19
After several days of digging, reading about CP/M and plain trying various things, I think I now have the most complete archive of Amstrad PCW 8256 games to date. All games have been made autoboot, for easy usage with Gotek-equipped PCWs and with PCW emulators. If you are interested, the archive can be found at:
http://8bitchip.info/commodore/Amstrad_PCW_8256_Games_Archive.tar.gz

If you have some games that aren't in the archive (I know there are more), and you are willing to share them, please contact me.

Very well done, thanks!
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

mikjaer

So how do i transfer these images to a 3" Floppy? Are there a guide somewhere on how to attach a 3" Floppy to a PC or is there another way?

zzarko

Quote from: mikjaer on 02:07, 23 February 19
So how do i transfer these images to a 3" Floppy? Are there a guide somewhere on how to attach a 3" Floppy to a PC or is there another way?
I would strongly suggest to install a Gotek into PCW. This compilation is first and foremost made for that use case, as most of the images aren't 100% full. Alternatively, make an external Gotek for CPC and use that one for PCW transfer using full disk copy (https://collection.onceuponabyte.org/Pictures/drive/Drv0018a.JPG). AFAIK, it is possible to connect 3" drive to PC, but I think that Gotek is much easier way.

HigashiJun

Hey zzarko,

Here are Jai Alai passwords.

Cheers.

8)
HigashiJun

GeoffB17

Hello 'mikjaer'

If you specifically want to attach a 3" drive to a PC, then this is possible (just as you can attach a 3.5" drive to a CPC/PCW).   The Dutch PCW site at http://www.fvempel.nl/index.html has a page about this.

Depending on how you're going to operate the progs on a PC, you may well be much better ot use the Gotek route.   Or you could use an emulator system (such as Joyce for PCW, or various others for CPCs) which will allow you to access the images directly from your PC drives, this will also provide the Z80 environment.

Geoff

zzarko

Quote from: HigashiJun on 11:03, 11 February 20Here are Jai Alai passwords.
Wow, thanks! I'm preparing the updated archive as I have found more games...

HigashiJun

You're welcome.

I have also completed your game archive with more games and versions for 8256/8512 and 9256/9512.

Let's wait your update !

Cheers.
HigashiJun

zzarko

Here is the new archive, version 1.1:

http://8bitchip.info/oub/Amstrad%20PCW/Amstrad_PCW_8256_Games_Archive_1.1.tar.gz

History
-------

1.0 - Initial version

1.1 - Added many games from www.habisoft.com:
      Bridge Player 2000 With Tutor, Clock Chess 89, Draughts, Growing Pains
      of Adrian Mole, Halls of the Things, Jai Alai, Kasekastchen, Loopz,
      Mister Gas, Quatris 2.0, Sirwood and Spirits
    - Added Arnhem and World of Soccer, received by mail (thanks!)
    - Replaced Matchday 2 with another image

HigashiJun

HigashiJun

TynH

Haven't found this in any PCW collections but thought I'd give it a try:

Classic Super Trek for CP/M, written in M Basic ;-)

jevicac

Hi TynH, if you can send us the game file it would be great to preserve it. regards

TynH

jevicac

zzarko

Quote from: TynH on 01:50, 25 March 20However it's fun to play once you understand the concept and seems to run fine. Here's the file I've used: ...
Thanks!!! And here is autoboot DSK file for that game :)

zzarko

After a long time, a new version of the game archive, you can download it from:
http://8bitchip.info/oub/Amstrad%20PCW/Amstrad_PCW_8256_Games_Archive_1.2.tar.gz

Changes in 1.2 version:
Added many games from www.habisoft.com:
      Knight Lore, Bridge Player Galactica, Corruption, Blackstar, Cozumel,
      Amstra-Dames, Fish, Mission Detector, Force Quatre, Giantkiller,
      Heroes of Karn, Supernova Invaders
Star Trek, file shared by TynH from cpcwiki

As before, all added games were made to autoboot.

zzarko

After almost a year, here is 1.3 version of the archive:

https://8bitchip.info/oub/Amstrad%20PCW/Amstrad_PCW_8256_Games_Archive_1.3.tar.gz

Changes:

• Added a game from www.habisoft.com: Acheton
  • Added many BASIC games from PCW_GameBase(Ox_and_Mad_2020):
    (taken from https://acpc.me/ACME/AMSTRAD_PRO/AMSTRAD_PCW/LOGICIELS/)
    Aerial Antics, Ams-Tenis, Burglar Bill, Car Park, Crash Landing,  Dominoes, Ethernet, Gravity,
    Lokomotive, Mario's Cement Factory, Magic Maze, One Armed Bandit, Tetris (BASIC), Widget Factory
  • From the same archive, also a several cracked games that no longer need password sheet:
    Golden Basket, Jai Alai, Poli Diaz El Potro De Vallecas, Rescate En El Golfo
  • From the same archive, two games were added to WIP directory:
    Nemesis (playable) and OrbQuest (unplayable).
Last two added games are CP/M RPGs from 1981. Nemesis is playable, but I guess it can be better. There is a TERMDEF program that is used to describe terminal capabilities. For now, I have found that VT52/VT100 works well with PCW, but I do not know if entering answers to many questions inside TERMDEF can make a better experience. Unfortunately, I do not know the answers to most of them.

Regarding OrbQuest, it is currently unplayable. There used to be a SETTERM program for it, but it is not recovered so far. Someone managed to find out what the data inside TERM.CTL is (see last post here: https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.cpm/c/mfTdhZttbTo/m/xj838HKuCAAJ), but again I do not know what the values for PCW should be. Game starts, but text output is bad.

Anyhow, enjoy newly added games in your PCW with Gotek drive :)

jevicac

Hi Zarko, thanks for sharing.

Clarify that ACME games are from PCWWiki. Almost all the material is taken from there.

http://www.habisoft.com/pcwwiki/doku.php?id=es:juegos

zzarko

Quote from: jevicac on 01:42, 15 February 22
Hi Zarko, thanks for sharing.
Clarify that ACME games are from PCWWiki. Almost all the material is taken from there.
I really do appreciate all the work you are doing to preserve PCW stuff, I really do! I do not want to take anyone's credit about that, not yours, nor anyone else's and that is clearly stated in archive's readme. I did not create any of the software included (except that I have created autoboot DSK files for many games), nor have I backed up from original disks myself.

I took the files from the place I clearly described, and inside that archive there were no information about where they came from. Do you suggest that I should search all the internet every time I add something to my games collection, and hunt down where the file originated from? And even if I manage to do that, then why stop there? Should I track down all the magazines where the listing is printed, and credit all the staff that was employed at the magazine at the time? Should I track down who wrote the program and send it to the magazine, and ask for a permission to to credit them also? How about workers who cut down trees to make the paper for the magazine?

Just to amuse everyone here that are concerned about crediting other people's work, here are md5 checksums for two BASIC games from Habi's site and those that included in my collection:

13b4106fda2a289f5481f08a35269f88  Dominoes.dsk
10e81b72454068bedff16450495a3dd7  Dominoes-Habi.dsk
18837d092e13c59d57fc443506f9e7ee  Tetris (BASIC).dsk
fef49b134cf8a20656e53064c5841943  Tetris-Habi.dsk

They are of different sizes, too:
194816 Dominoes.dsk
204544 Dominoes-Habi.dsk
199680 Tetris (BASIC).dsk
199168 Tetris-Habi.dsk

So, what now? What is the original file? How could I know that? Should I extract every file from DSK and check if the files in DSKs are the same as anywhere else on the internet? If they are, who made the original backup? If they are not, what then?

I'm not doing this for fame, I certainly do not do it for money, I make a collection for myself and a few friends and I'm sharing it on my site. If it is preferred, I will simply not share it here and be done with it.

jevicac

Hello again, I don't want there to be misunderstandings. Just specify where most things come from. Our work is 100% original copied from the original discs. The games in Mallard Basic were typed and prepared by me from the magazines. This material is free to share among all. Each one can give it the use that they like the most. But it is not the first time that they attribute the work of others that is so difficult to upload. It's just a clarification. Greetings

zzarko

Quote from: jevicac on 08:21, 15 February 22
Just specify where most things come from.
And I did, if you cared to read my post, almost all of the added games in the last batch are taken from
https://acpc.me/ACME/AMSTRAD_PRO/AMSTRAD_PCW/LOGICIELS/
and, as stated, one game from you site. A few DSK files from the archive that I checked aren't from your site. I have no idea how they are made, that you need to ask the author of that site, not me. If you or anyone else is that concerned about giving credit, feel free to check all the programs inside DSK files from that site and to compare them with other copies, I'll gladly include whatever you find in the readme. I have no intention of spending my free time on that.

Looking from my side, I have nothing more to add to this topic. And, I will refrain myself from posting any updates here in the future, that way at least I'll not be accused of stealing something that I did not stole in the first place.