Author Topic: Amstrad PCW RTC  (Read 1456 times)

Offline torrind

• CPC464
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Amstrad PCW RTC
« Reply #25 on: 01:07, 19 April 19 »
Hi Jon,

Regarding Gunhed's comment on the GETRTC.COM to read the time and date - I notice that contained with uIDE is a DATE.COM command - Could this also be utilised? or his it redundant?

Following this all with great interest!

Darren

Offline GeoffB17

• 6128 Plus
  • PCW since '85
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #26 on: 01:55, 19 April 19 »
No help.

DATE.COM will be the standard CP/M utility, which prompts for a date and time to be entered manually, and then sets the system clock.   It has no way of getting the date/time from anywhere else.   The point of the new prog, whatever it's called, will be to get the time/date from the RTC and then put this into the system, automatically, without any user action (although this might be possible as an option.

Geoff

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #27 on: 11:05, 19 April 19 »
That's correct, Geoff.

I will provide a utility with the uTRC-8 board with the following facilities:
  • Get time & date from the RTC and display on screen
  • Set RTC time & date
  • Transfer RTC time & date to PcW clock

I wrote a similar thing for the Multicomp RTC (which uses a different clock chip, the DS1203). The following should give an idea of how it is used:

Code: [Select]
A>date
Tue 10 Nov 2017 12:42:36
A>date 18/12/18
Tue 18 Dec 2018 12:42:52
A>date 17:05
Tue 18 Dec 2018 17:05:00
A>date 17:05:55
Tue 18 Dec 2018 17:05:55
A>date
Tue 18 Dec 2018 17:05:13
A>date help
Multicomp DS1203 RTC date & time utility - JonB 2018

usage: date - show date and time
       date [[day] [dd/mm/yy] [hh:mm[:ss]]] - set date and/or time

A>date I am a teapot
Multicomp DS1203 RTC date & time utility - JonB 2018

usage: date - show date and time
       date [[day] [dd/mm/yy] [hh:mm[:ss]]] - set date and/or time

A>

So we will call it uRTC.com and add a new option (such as -t) to transfer RTC date / time to the PcW clock. Thereafter you'd just need to set the uRTC  date/time and put a call to c:uRTC -t in the profile.sub  and "job done".

I'll probably have a "base I/O address" option so you can configure the board as you like, and change the utility to suit, but it will have a default (probably C0h).
« Last Edit: 11:14, 19 April 19 by JonB »

Offline TynH

• CPC664
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #28 on: 17:12, 19 April 19 »

Me too! Haven’t had the opportunity to actually fit the uIDE module yet but at least it’s waiting for me back home on my desk.  :D

Oh, you are in for fun...

Looking forward to what’ll no doubt prove to be challenging. Unfortunately I‘m still kinda stuck in here:

8)

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #29 on: 18:23, 20 April 19 »
Come on mate we are waiting to see if it works with your Schneider connector...!

;D

And by the way, it's pretty warm here in the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47996418

Palm trees? We don't need no steenkin' palm trees!

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
    • FutureOS - The quickest OS for the CPC and Plus
  • Liked: 664
  • Likes Given: 1468
« Reply #30 on: 03:41, 21 April 19 »
You know what I mean.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Recent update: 2019.01.14)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2019.07.15)

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #31 on: 16:50, 24 April 19 »

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
« Reply #32 on: 03:00, 25 April 19 »
Good luck for the prototype boards!  :)
« Last Edit: 15:37, 25 April 19 by GUNHED »
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Recent update: 2019.01.14)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2019.07.15)

Offline JohnElliott

• CPC464
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: 09:50, 25 April 19 »
Just prepping a Wiki page: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/URTC-8_Universal_RTC_for_Z80_computers
I don't think this will work:
uRTCTX.FID performs the same function as uRTCTX.COM, except as a FID (field installable driver). Use this to set the PcW system clock when booting into LocoScript
I'm pretty sure that time stamps and the system clock only exist under CP/M - I've never seen anything to suggest LocoScript supports either.

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #34 on: 11:10, 25 April 19 »
That's great news, John - means I do not need to build a FID for it.  :)

JonB
(a non user of Locoscript)

Offline GeoffB17

• 6128 Plus
  • PCW since '85
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #35 on: 18:46, 25 April 19 »
Jon,

Now that John Elliott mentions it, I had a thought.   Some time back, there was a discussion here about problems with LocoScript disks being accessed within CP/M, and someone mentioned that CP/M disks ARE compatible with Loco as long as Initdir is NOT used.   So it would probably NOT be a good idea to even try using time/date etc within LS??

Is essence, CP/M does not support time/date stamping, EXCEPT via certain extensions to CP/M.   You need to use Initdir to prepare the disk directory area.   You need to use special options of DIR.COM, and I think SET.COM.   Locoscipt prob uses a somewhat cut down version of CP/M as far as files/dir facilities anyway, so it's never going to cope with the 'extras' required for date stamping.

Geoff

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #36 on: 19:50, 25 April 19 »
Hi Geoff

As you know, I am not a LocoScript user and so I assumed it could support timestamps. It's a pity that it doesn't.  However, the device is generic and can be used on any computer with a socketed Z80 (CP/M or not), so I will proceed with it. CP/M 3 ("Plus") and MP/M do support file system timestamps, natively. The reason you need to use a utility to upgrade the file system is backwards compatibility.

All the things you might use a system clock for can be implemented in a CP/M Plus system without having a uRTC device fitted - but you'd have to enter time and date each time you cold boot the machine, which is what I want to get away from (also, if the date and time is set automatically, there is more incentive to use these features).

I think I will experiment a bit with it, see what happens in LocoScript.

Cheers
JonB
« Last Edit: 19:57, 25 April 19 by JonB »

Offline JohnElliott

• CPC464
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #37 on: 02:51, 26 April 19 »
Locoscipt prob uses a somewhat cut down version of CP/M as far as files/dir facilities anyway, so it's never going to cope with the 'extras' required for date stamping.
LocoScript doesn't use any CP/M code - it uses an independently-written module (which I've heard called PCWDOS) for file access. This module is also used by LocoLink, and a derivative (+3DOS) provides disk access on the Spectrum +3.

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #38 on: 14:51, 09 May 19 »
Quick update: Clock chips arrived today from China, five of them. Only took a month! Still waiting for the boards...

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
« Reply #39 on: 19:06, 09 May 19 »
Never mind, gives you time to do other parts of the project.  :)  We did wait so long, now we can wait some months more too.  ;) :)

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #40 on: 10:33, 10 May 19 »
Well, I could build a prototype and write the software but it's a lot of work (the prototyping I mean).

As usual, there are little stumbling blocks along the way. I ordered a bunch of 74LS688s or so I thought - when they turned up they were 74HC688 and not compatible. Other items still to arrive include the battery holders, but I can build one at least for software testing.

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #41 on: 13:22, 27 June 19 »
Another update: Boards still not here, so have declared them lost and the PCB fab house is redoing them (for free).

Chinese shipping...  :picard: