News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How much is PC2086 worth?

Started by twox, 17:28, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

twox

Hello, i want to ask how much is working PC2086 worth? Can someone tell?
Cheers!

remax

Quote from: twox on 17:28, 14 December 14
Hello, i want to ask how much is working PC2086 worth? Can someone tell?
Cheers!

Not a lot i guess... Depends on where you live, but i think anything over 150€ is a rape here in france
Brain Radioactivity

twox

150€??
Thats a lot of money!

Munchausen

I'd say that is an awful lot to expect... I don't see that much interest in these machines (they would go for much less than a CPC for example). Just as the PCWs go for much less. Why not look on ebay? You can search old sales too.

EDIT: Mind you, I hadn't expected to see an 8256 that is not working on ebay with a price of £21 already... Amstrad PCW 8256 Parts Bundle | eBay

So maybe it is worth more than I thought!

remax

Quote from: twox on 22:09, 14 December 14
150€??
Thats a lot of money!

If you have time, you can expect it for much less i guess...
Brain Radioactivity

radu14m

Is not so much worth. I buy one with 30€.
But mine has a dead hdd. It was a big mfm one. ;)

Any ideea how to use a normal ide hdd ? Need a new controler ?

Munchausen

Quote from: radu14m on 09:03, 16 December 14
Is not so much worth. I buy one with 30€.
But mine has a dead hdd. It was a big mfm one. ;)

Any ideea how to use a normal ide hdd ? Need a new controler ?

I think they have ISA? So you need an ISA IDE controller. I used to have a lot of old ISA cards like that, but I threw them out years ago unfortunately.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Munchausen on 17:26, 16 December 14
I think they have ISA? So you need an ISA IDE controller. I used to have a lot of old ISA cards like that, but I threw them out years ago unfortunately.
I've got an ISA IDE/Serial/Parallel card free to a good home if you want it.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

MaV

Careful!

You'd need an 8-bit ISA controller because it is an XT model. I can't remember if any were produced back in the day, but if there are any they will definitely be very rare or next to impossible to get.

@CraigsBar: Is yours an 8-bit controller?

There is however this here:
XT IDE disk controller - DP

Unfortunately, anyone who wants to have one, will have to build them for themselves, AFAIK.

One more thing: At least the Amstrad PC1512 and PC1640 were said to have slightly out of spec timing on the ISA bus, which means that I might not work. I don't know about the PC2086, it could be working perfectly or also have this problem.

MaV
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

radu14m

Yes its an 8bit isa controler.
i tought to use a 16bit controler but i am not sure if it will work.

is there any way to use a CF card reader or something similar like used on amiga computers?

remax

Quote from: MaV on 13:56, 17 December 14
One more thing: At least the Amstrad PC1512 and PC1640 were said to have slightly out of spec timing on the ISA bus, which means that I might not work. I don't know about the PC2086, it could be working perfectly or also have this problem.

MaV

PCEm use XT IDE emulation for the PC2086, might be worth to have a look at the source code
Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

Not sure. It was pulled from either an 8086 or 286 box many many years ago. I have to find which 'box of crap' it is in first to let you know any more.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

MaV

Quote from: remax on 14:50, 17 December 14PCEm use XT IDE emulation for the PC2086, might be worth to have a look at the source code
Thanks, I'll take a look.

But my guess is the out of spec ISA timings are most probably not implemented in an emulator. We're talking probably of nanoseconds difference from the spec which then is enough to cause trouble at communication between the chips.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."