News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Joyce Emulator using HD

Started by GeoffB17, 19:30, 17 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoffB17

Hello,

I don't know if anyone else uses Joyce (as well as the real PCW ?)

I've just managed to obtain a later version of CP/M (v. 2.9) and this allows access to hard drives.

I created a boot .DSK for Joyce, with the new .EMS, and added the file that comes with Joyce JOYCEDRV.FID and when I boot the system the title shows that drives C: thru G: are available.

I managed to work my way through the setup option - there is a bit I struggled with where I needed to use the mouse to activate part of the dialogue box - and activated C:.

All works!

I decided to use the 'folder' option, using a dir on my HD, rather than the .DSK variant which would fix the file as 8Mb (but would still be a .DSK file).   The folder option means that it's just a normal directory on the PC which is accessible as normal to the PC, so in effect I no longer need to use the Import/Export utilities.   Also, the folder is never any larger than the files that are in it (not that I'm short of HD space these days...).

VERY helpful.   One little oddity, when C: is active, swapping floppies seems to take a lot longer?   I'll keep an eye on that.   Swap does EVENTUALLY register.

TFM

Thanks for posting the DSK here. ... oh wait you didn't.  :-\
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

GeoffB17

TFM

Thank you! IMHO a lot of PCW users will appreciate!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

GeoffB17

Hello,

I'm not sure, but I don't think that this version of CP/M is a lot of benefit to PCW users as such, although if any facilities are available for external HD it might.   There will be some facilities for external printers via centronics port mind you.

The real benefit will for anyone using the Joyce emulator, as this version certainly DOES allow Joyce to set up and use both virtual HD (.DSK file) AND literal HD (a standard folder on the PC's drive).

This version (2.9) in mentioned on one of John Elliott's 'seasip' pages listing the sequence of the various CP/M versions.   A Google search for J29cpm3.ems should go right to it.

Geoff