Modern or Old Fashioned Boot Screen?

Started by jamesots, 09:38, 04 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesots

I've continued to work on my PCW bootstrap programme. It now checks whether the SD card is there or not and lets you reboot and try again if there's an error. You can also press [ALT] during boot to get an alternative boot menu, which currently lets you choose between booting from the SD card or booting from the floppy (my code saves the standard bootstrap code at the start so that it can use it). And I have a nice little progress bar while the OS is loaded from the SD card.

I have a question though. At the moment I've gone with centring the text, and I was working towards making it look very neat and clean. I was thinking of showing the Amstrad logo at the top too. But sometimes I think it looks a little too modern, and wonder if I should have it just show text at the top left, like most old systems would have done. I haven't done that, because it would be too easy, and I like my progress bar :)

Any opinions?

Sykobee (Briggsy)

||C|-|E||

Centered is cool, I agree, but I don´t think that the Amstrad logo would destroy the retro feel either. I mean, is it possible to destroy it using a green CRT?  :laugh:

JonB

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I think a few sine scrollers and raster splits would look good too (actually, doesn't the PCW pretty much support these in hardware via it's row-based indexed display?).
[size=78%]A roto-zoom too, instead of a progress bar.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]j/k, of course.[/size]

JohnElliott

LocoScript displays its tile screen centred, so I don't think there's anything wrong with centred.

(One FID trick I once did was a custom LocoScript splash screen, spread across 8 separate FIDs, each one loading one-eigth of the image).

FloppySoftware

floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es