L

NC100 Newbie Question - PCMCIA Card File Transfer

Started by LambdaMikel, 21:01, 16 August 18

Previous topic - Next topic

LambdaMikel

Spending some time to get to know my NC100 better.
For file transfer from the PC, I guess a null modem can be used.
However, how about PCMCIA Cards. I know one can use one of these PCMCIA (up to 1 MB) RAM cards; the same that are being used in the Atari Portfolio.

Has anybody tried one of these PCMCIA with SDCard slot? They work fine with the Amiga 600 / 1200.

One the PC, what kind of file system will be used such that the NC100 can read / access the files? Or is a special PC tool required for writing files to the card?

pelrun

Unfortunately no, the NC100 only supports SRAM cards. Flash cards (and adapters for other flash devices like sd cards and cf cards) are completely incompatible. It also means reading/writing it on the PC is tricky; I'm not sure it's supported at all for the last 20 years in any OS.

LambdaMikel

I managed to transfer BAS / ASCII files via null modem and serial cable from the PC to the NC100, using XModem file transfer.But this procedure does not seem to work for BIN files. Anybody has a good procedure for transfering them? For example,

https://www.ncus.org.uk/files/OTHELLO1.BIN
I transfered using XModem. I then wrote a little BASIC loader that opens the file and pokes it byte for byte into memory. But I am unable to start that file then. So far, no success with BIN files.

Does anybody have a working procedure?

pelrun

You don't need to manually load the file into memory, just use the *LOAD command.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: pelrun on 03:18, 20 August 18
You don't need to manually load the file into memory, just use the *LOAD command.

Tried that, but this gives me BAD FILE or something error message. I guess for the *LOAD command to work, the file need to be in proper binary, not ASCII from Zmodem transfer? So I would first need to figure out how to transfer a binary file properly, or how to change the file from ASCII to binary. That was exactly the purpose of this programm - load it from ASCII into memory, and then either start it from there via CALL or SAVE it to binary such that it can be *LOADed . Remember that even for BASIC ASCII program, you cannot use load, but need to put it into token form first using *EXEC.

How are you doing this?

Munchausen

Quote from: pelrun on 02:55, 17 August 18
Unfortunately no, the NC100 only supports SRAM cards. Flash cards (and adapters for other flash devices like sd cards and cf cards) are completely incompatible. It also means reading/writing it on the PC is tricky; I'm not sure it's supported at all for the last 20 years in any OS.

They used to work in Linux... however last time I tried (on an old laptop but with a recent kernel) a driver loaded but it did not work as intended (not certain it was the correct driver, I seem to remember loading and unloading a few). In any case I think the original driver may have used them simply as system RAM, though I think it ought to be possible to use some tricks to transfer files if the driver worked.

pelrun

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 18:52, 20 August 18
Tried that, but this gives me BAD FILE or something error message. I guess for the *LOAD command to work, the file need to be in proper binary, not ASCII from Zmodem transfer? So I would first need to figure out how to transfer a binary file properly, or how to change the file from ASCII to binary. That was exactly the purpose of this programm - load it from ASCII into memory, and then either start it from there via CALL or SAVE it to binary such that it can be *LOADed . Remember that even for BASIC ASCII program, you cannot use load, but need to put it into token form first using *EXEC.

How are you doing this?

Sorry for the delay in replying - my NC100's LCD ribbon cable broke and I needed to wait for a replacement one to arrive before I could investigate.

The answer is actually pretty simple - you just need to supply the load address. For example, the following will load file.bin to &9000:

*LOAD file.bin 9000

LambdaMikel

Thanks, I thought I had tried that... hmm, OTHELLO1.BIN does not seem to load. But you are right, no bad file error message with that. Can you try if OTHELLO1.BIN works for you?I was able to run DSTAR1.BIN from that site successfully though! Thanks, so that is the right way. Currently playing with ZCN CP/M on the NC100 - amazing, that works!!  :)