News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New DK'Tronics clone for PCW

Started by SyX, 11:24, 23 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

Ok so PCW16 had the same palette and modes as the Amstrad CPC, jsut it is not connected into a colour monitor.
It also can manage "VGA" like high resolution...
But can it do overscan on a "TV-like monitor" or a "CPC-like monitor" just as a CPC would if limited to a "272pix max vertical" display ?

Or is it limited to VGA like monitors so no overscan because higher vertical resolution ?

I'm somewhat a bit sad the video modes are not upgraded into what the Atari St does...
Also funny to see they kept on good old 27 colour palette... still they could have done a 32 colours.
Looks like they reused the Pre-Asic blueprint instead of the PLUS Asic.

Saddly the machine could have used a few Hardsprites and rasters and 4096palette and scrollings and DMAs and.... ok i stop here.. ;D

BTW, could this machine somewhat emulate an Amstrad CPC ?

Also looks like IDE port is somewhat possible... HDD and perhaps also IDE compact flash card... CD-ROM too ?

This said, the 16mhz clocking, despite often interrupted by the Video display, still punch some real punch compaired to a CPC.

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:03, 11 October 12
... just as a CPC would if limited to a "272pix max vertical" display ?

Well, the CPC can do 288 scanlines without a problem (I always use that, because 272 scan lines would leave too much border on some screens). Using a TV you can even use more scanlines - depending on what you use.

Maybe this thread should be split!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

remax

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:32, 11 October 12
[size=78%]Anyway, it has more ram so that is good and it will get one of my games converted to it.[/size]

That would be quite the first game for this platform :D
Brain Radioactivity

Munchausen

I'd also love to get one of these for my PCW.

I understand Habi was going to make the schematics available, does anyone know if this ever happened?

TFM

Quote from: TFM on 19:43, 23 September 12
Hi, that's very interesting. Where can I order such a board?

Any news for this interesting project?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

robcfg

I'll be meeting Habi this weekend so I'll ask him.  ;D

[Edit] Breaking news!

I just talked to Habi, and he says he's doing a new version with some fixes, and as soon as he's done and tested it, the schematics will be available.

Munchausen

Woop, this is awesome news! Will he be making a batch of them (so we can buy them!), or we have to build our own?

Gryzor

AWESOME!

...for all of three PCW owners, at least.

Munchausen

Bump, poke, any news from Habi on this?!

sucram

Hi there,

after about 20 years, I have taken back my PCW (Joyce) in operation. I would like to write a little game with TPascal using GSX.
I would also like to incorporate some music, but do not know how I can do that in Turbo Pascal. I have an original DK'Tronics interface, so I would also like to use this. As I now know it can be a lot. Also, the beeper may be more than I previously thought...

Best regards,
Marcus

SyX

Habi has published a new version of his interface and all the information is in the PCW Wiki (it's a good moment for commenting about all the hard work that robcfg, habi and collaborators are making with the PCWWiki, for example the Intergem Disk Drive Interface).