News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PCW 8256 white screen

Started by JonB, 12:45, 05 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Hi

I thought I'd share the latest bit of PCW fun.

[attach=2]

Yes, it's a PCW8256 with a white phosphor screen, which I prefer to green (not least because I can put a filter on it and make it amber). This tube came from a defunct PCW9512, and it was a fairly straightforward job to swap them over. The only thing to be aware of is that the deflector coil unit (yoke) needs to be swapped (perhaps the 9512 wiring is compatible, I didn't check) and the tube has to be rotated 180 degrees so that the HT lead will be on the same side as the flyback transformer (otherwise it won't reach the tube). Having done that, you also need to turn the deflector coil 180 degrees (because the image will be upside down otherwise).

Discharge both tubes before starting as they can hold a dangerous charge which could kill you. If you do not know how to do this, or you're not comfortable doing this, walk away now.

The result is a clearer, crisper image in a nicer colour and as a bonus, the 9512 tube has a matte finish so it is better at warding off reflections.

:D

Bryce

You need to change the text on the second drive bay now :) "Green Monitor"

Bryce.

JonB

Good point Bryce. Or leave it, sort of ironically? I think I will fit a 3.5" drive, though. If I can work out how to mount it! And I have an idea for another PCB... hmmm... CF-1 to 3.5" adapter (based on the Loco adapter in my 9512), anyone?

8)

||C|-|E||

I looks really sharp now! Although yes, Bryce is right  :D :laugh:

Sebastian Blanco

JonB

Trust me, it is white. Is a trick of the camera I expect..