News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

pcw wont start anymore

Started by radu14m, 13:21, 16 September 18

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Shipping to Romania would cost £2.60 for the built board or £1.25 for the bare board.

You can have the bare board for £3.50 and the fully built unit for £10. I doubt you could build one for less.

I haven't tested it by the way, so I'll need to do that before sending.

JonB

And so...

[attach=1]

It's alive!

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

JonB

So, in the first picture we see it working.

The second picture shows how the board fits directly onto the blue video connector on the PCW's main board.

The third picture shows the connections from the video board to:

• The +5v line on the second floppy power cable (the ORANGE wire)
  • The video connection to the monitor (the white adapter plugged into a standard phono plug that goes into the TV's composite video input)

Regarding the video adapter, I'll send you one for an extra £2. You then need a phono - phono plug and (maybe) a SCART/Euroconnector as is shown here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/File:PCW_composite_video_cable.JPG.

For the avoidance of doubt, the video adapter I am offering you looks like this:

[attach=1,msg166462]

The other parts you need are shown on the linked to picture (phono-phono cable and Euroconnector adapter, if your TV/monitor does not have a "composite video" input).

Regards
JonB

Gryzor

Wouldn't this deserve its own thread?

JonB

Maybe, but it is all in reply to the OP's problem. I've designed, built and tested this mixer board for Radu and as he is not confident with electronics I have tried to explain with pictures how to fit it to his PCW.

Gryzor

Makes sense, but I thought that the answer here was more important than the question (if that even makes sense) :D

JonB

What, you mean a wiki page entitled "What to do if your PCW PSU fails"?

Gryzor

No, (though yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea), I meant a thread about the little board :)

JonB

It's nothing much to shout about, Gryzor. I mean we're not talking about a "Habi Special" here...    :D

radu14m

wow, sure i would also suggest to open an extra thread.
The PCW seems to have a lot of potentials when comes to expansion topic.

Did you check what possiblities we have to connect it to a standard VGA monitor ?

JonB

What, you don't have a small TV with a SCART plug?

JonB

Quote from: JonB on 18:32, 01 November 18
Maybe, but it is all in reply to the OP's problem. I've designed, built and tested this mixer board for Radu and as he is not confident with electronics I have tried to explain with pictures how to fit it to his PCW.

...and it looks like I wasted my time.

radu14m

no it's not a waste of time.
i will order one as it is, and try to get a monitor with scart.

it will be my Christmas gift :)

Sebastian Blanco

You don't need a scart connector any tv or monitor that have simple composite input (yellow RCA jack) will do the job

Miffer

@JonB Sorry to revive an oldish thread, but would it be possible to buy one of your video output boards? I'm hoping to make a less cumbersome PCW8256, as I have a spare that has a sad-looking case. I've tested it and the board works and I've got the drive reading disks fine. I've now removed the main PCB and plan to cobble together some kind of PSU for it.

I had a look online but can't seem to find your video mod for sale anywhere. Feel free to PM me if this thread is the wrong place to discuss it. Thanks very much :)

jevicac

On PCWWiki you have a board of a project designed by HabiSoft, creator of the CP/M Box emulator. I hope it helps you.

http://www.habisoft.com/pcwwiki/doku.php?id=es:hardware:perifericos:pcw-io

Miffer

@jevicac This is very interesting. Thanks :)

JonB

As I have released the design, it is much cheaper to buy them in lots of 3 from OSHPark.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/h2RzWal8

..and a lot easier to build than the PCW-IO card (assuming you don't need the additional features it offers of course).

Enjoy.
 8)

JonB

Miffer

Thanks @JonB , I've ordered the board. Much appreciated