Scientific Interface for the PCW

Started by ComSoft6128, 08:34, 16 November 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

From Electronics and Wireless World magazine April 1987.

Link to the original PDF is here:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Wireless-World/80s/Wireless-World-1987-04.pdf

robcfg

This is just great!

Thank you for your interesting posts!

GUNHED

Very interesting! Thanks!  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

GeoffB17

Very interesting.

I take it that this article is the first of a series?   More in later issues?

Is the idea of this similar to the sort of computer/software 'scopes' that you can get, where a small unit provides all the probes etc, and it then connects to PC running a WinDoze system which produces the visual displays etc.   Not too expensive, if you know what you're doing with it all.   Which I don't!!.

I've read that these things can be limited, compared to the real thing.   How would the system described in this article compare?

I wonder if the business referred to is still there??

Aha, just checked.   They are still there.   Same address, same business (incl electronic test equipment).   Telephone number now starts 01493 instead of 0493 as printed.   Now show website as www.placepower.com and email address of enquiries@placepower.com

Aagh - couldn't resist.   Sent email to Placepower.   I'll report back if I get any reply!

3rd edit.   Got 2nd article, this may be the lot?   Article refers to various pieces of software needed to complete the project, available from the author.   If software is not available, project may not be possible?   Need to investigate further.

4th edit.  Now traced an address (snail mail) for author, in Exmouth.  Seems to be current.   Wonder if he's still got copy of the software required?

Geoff

ComSoft6128

Hi Geoff,

Yes it does look as though it was meant to be part of a series of articles, but unfortunately there does not appear to be any other scans of this magazine from 1987 available.  :(

Cheers,

Peter

GeoffB17

'any other scans' than what?

As indicated, I found the scan of the next issue, which has a 4 page continuation, and notes about software (although no details of the software) and information about how to buy the software (now well out of date).

The first article says 'to be continued', the second article does not, so it may be complete.

I've traced the address for Mr Frost, and I've sent him a letter to ask.   If I hear anything, I'll report back.   I assume he's now retired, I think he's now more interested in photography?   But, we'll see.

Anyone who knows about these things - how does this project compare with the various setups you can get now for PC related scopes and mini scopes, and separate LCD type things for £20-40?

The completion of this project may just not be economic now?   Although the information that might be learned from it, and the software, might be very valuable?

Geoff

ComSoft6128

Hi Geoff,

I was looking for scans for all the issues of the magazine for 87/88 but only found a few.
Please supply a link to the next issue.

Thanks,

Peter

GeoffB17

Hello Peter,

I just used Google, like I assume you've been doing to find the various things you've found.

This is the link:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Wireless-World/80s/Wireless-World-1987-05.pdf

to the complete May '87 issue.   You need to extract pages 58 - 61 from the complete .PDF.

I've just checked again, there's nothing in the June issue, but I've not looked any further.

I don't believe that Google would find these, as the key text is hidden in the .PDF which is in effect a graphics format here.   The item you found before must have been indexed, or referenced as literal text in some way, to have been found.

Thanks.

Geoff

GeoffB17

Brief update.

I've had a reply to my snail-mail letter to Brian Frost, and he says that he may well have destroyed all his material 10 years ago.   He says he will check some storage where there MIGHT be something remaining, and let me know what he finds.

I'll keep fingers crossed.

Geoff

Gryzor