Author Topic: Serial / Parallel I/O via Z80 bus adapter  (Read 1032 times)

Offline 1024MAK

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Touching the hot end of an iron will hurt!
  • Liked: 132
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 122
Re: Serial / Parallel I/O via Z80 bus adapter
« Reply #11 on: 12:54, 11 March 17 »
So it does have ring indicator? OK Mark... but I won't be fitting a MAX241 on the board as it is. Looks like I'll have to lengthen it a bit (must stay at ~60mm wide for compatibility with uIDE and the (proposed) z80 bus board).

Cheers :)

Offline jamesots

• CPC464
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #12 on: 19:35, 04 April 17 »
Hi, I've made myself a serial port which was based on the CPS8256, but without the parallel port and only TX, RX, CTS and RTS are connected. It uses a new MAX3232 and an 82C54 - the other chips are ones I pulled out of old computers years ago when I ran out of space to keep them. The first version required some bodge wires, but it works, up to 9600 baud. It has pin headers and an edge connector (not attached yet), mainly because edge connectors are more expensive, so I wanted a cheaper option to use until I had a working board, and I already had a ribbon cable which I used to connect to the original stripboard prototype.

22244-0

I think I've fixed the design, and also added some LEDs and labels to the next version, which I've just sent off to Seeed Studio. It'll look something like this (if I've got the attachments right)

22246-1

Offline jamesots

• CPC464
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #13 on: 00:45, 21 April 17 »

The new version of the serial port PCB arrived today. Here it is attached to the back of my PCW:

22349-0

As I suspected, the transmit and receive LEDs aren't much use, but the RTS and CTS LEDs are useful.