Author Topic: Transferring files from PC to PCW  (Read 606 times)

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
  • Liked: 63
Re: Transferring files from PC to PCW
« Reply #10 on: 00:25, 14 April 18 »
Hello,

206k seems large for a CF2 image.   Where did you get the image from - I'll have to have a look at it?

I've been assuming your PCW has a 3" A: drive.   Does it not?   The expected process would be that you have a blank CF2 in A:, and the .DSK and the DSKWRSEA in B: or M:, and you run the prog to install the image onto A:.   Is that not possible with your setup?   If not, we'll have to look for an alternative.

Where are you?

Geoff

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
« Reply #11 on: 00:40, 14 April 18 »
Found some info on a Spanish version?

The game seems to come on two CF2 disks.   May well be available as a zip file containing the two .DSK files, so you'd need to unzip first?  May be other files in the zip as well.

BUT - a 206k .DSK file still sounds too big for a CF2 disk.   Even if it uses a special format - the .DSK file will have the relevant info inside to create the special format, so that is POSSIBLE.

If I had the .DSK, I could soon work out what's happening.

Either way, you'd need TWO .DSK files, one for each disk (or side of the CF2) and I'd assume you'll need both sides (or is one side for PCW, and the other for CPC?

Geoff

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
« Reply #12 on: 01:38, 14 April 18 »
Hmm??

Well, I've found a .DSK, that may be the one you've got.   It seems to be a Spanish version of the game?

Seems to be the right size, as per your descr, i.e. 211,712 bytes.

It's an 'Extended' format of .DSK, which COULD increase the size?   The file seems to show the usual number of sectors per track, there could be an extra track added?   I'll have to check further.

Very interesting disk, mind you.

Looking at the data in the image, I see what looks like a normal dir.   All the files are shown as deleted, apart from the first one, which is POLE500.EMS.   On the disk being booted, this file will load and run, as per the usual boot process.

However, according to the directory, this file is TWO blocks in size ONLY.   i.e. about 4k.   There is no other valid file.

Looking through the raw data in the .DSK file, there is a LOT of data that is certainly NOT normal.   Lots of stuff that looks like graphics/image data.

So my guess is that POLE500.EMS is merely a loader, and the rest of the game software is written to the disk as raw data, i.e. is NOT a normal CP/M file, and POLE500 knows what is where and reads the disk directly and loads the data directly (track/sector by track/sector) into memory, and then runs the loaded software.

If the Spanish version is what you want, I can test if it will load under the Joyce emulator.

I can also try to create a CF2 boot disk from the image.   If it will work for me, then we should be able to get it to work for you...

ASSUMING - that you do in fact have a CF2 drive to load the image onto - which NB is a boot disk so it will need to boot from A: (CF2) disk.

Geoff

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
« Reply #13 on: 02:05, 14 April 18 »
So, the image loads happily into the Joyce emulator, although my limited Spanish doesn't get me very far.

The game DOES however appear to be working.

If the image will load in Joyce, it should work OK on the PCW!

Geoff

Offline P5ychoFox

• CPC664
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #14 on: 13:50, 14 April 18 »
Thanks Geoff for investigating that game, I chose it as I had never played it so it seemed as good as any to try. I think I'll try Classic Collection 2 (191kb) next as I accidentally re-formatted my copy the other day.

My setup is: PCW 8512 with standard 3" A Drive and 3.5" B Drive.

Packard Bell PC running Windows XP with internal floppy drive (can format 3.5" discs to 720k in command prompt).

For some reason I assumed that DSKWRSEA was a PC program and not anything that could be run on the PCW. I have downloaded it and will get it onto a 3.5" disk and onto my PCW. Then I'll try the process with Classic Collection 2.

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
« Reply #15 on: 15:07, 14 April 18 »
Was it the Spanish version you were trying, or do you have an English version?

If you've got the 3" A:, then there should be no problem.

As for DSKWRSEA being a PC prog - maybe it is?   I think that's the prog of John Elliott's that will, in fact, run on either PC or under CP/M.  Not quite sure why he did it that way, maybe just 'because he could'.   I've only used it on my PCW, I'd use the 22DISK system on the PC.

When I was looking for this game yesterday, I found the Spanish .DSK on a Spanish website that seemed to have quite a lot of PCW games - quite a few I'd never heard of before.

Best of luck with your PCW

Geoff

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
« Reply #16 on: 15:46, 14 April 18 »
Just been checking some things on my PCW.

DSKWRSEA is the name of the package/archive - the main prog within is DSKWRITE.COM, and yes, this will run on both PCW and PC.

However, the notes say that this prog does NOT support the 'Extended' style of .DSK file.

Now, I've never been to clear exactly what that means.  When I look into the binary data of a .DSK, I often see reference to 'Extended' when in fact the disk format is NOT 'Extended' and the normal CPCEMU style would be perfectly OK, so why whoever created the .DSK used Extended style I don't know.   Maybe there's a valid reason?

As far as I can tell, the POLE500 game is just a normal format, so although the .DSK is 'Extended', maybe it isn't really Extended.   So DSKWRITE may work?   But, if DSKWRITE takes notice of the header in the .DSK, then it may NOT work.

The Extended style is intended to cope with some (I guess not ALL) copy protection schemes that mess with the detail of the disk format (i.e. some tracks have non-standard sector numbering).

John Elliott's Joyce PCW emulator will read an extended .DSK.   I think his DU54 prog will write an extended image, BUT it must be a known format and the destination disk must be formatted correctly, so if it's in fact a standard format that just happens to be in an 'Extended' image file then you'd be OK.  I'll check that with the POLE500 image?

Geoff

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
« Reply #17 on: 21:08, 14 April 18 »
Well, I've tried it, and DU54 will not correctly write an 'extended' image to a floppy.

To be accurate, I've got the process to go through the motions, in that it did NOT come up with any error, it clicked through tracks 0 to 39 as if it WAS doing it, but on completion the image was messed up, and does not work.

As already noted, the Joyce emulator has explicit option to load an extended .DSK, which would appear to work, but there is no option to save anything, or convert.

So, anyone...

Is there another prog that will write an EXTENDED .DSK to a floppy, that will work under normal CP/M (I assume there IS a CPC prog).  Or, is there a prog that can convert an extended .DSK image into either a RAW image (which I can use) or into a CPCEMU image - else I'll have to try to write my own converter (to RAW, anyway)   This latter may not be TOO big a task - I'd guess the sector blocks are the same between the two formats, just that the associated 'formatting' data is different?

Geoff

Offline P5ychoFox

• CPC664
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #18 on: 15:25, 16 April 18 »
Interesting about DSKWRITE not being compatible with extended DSK format and perhaps that's why I'm now stuck again:

I have saved the DSKWRSEA onto a CP/M formatted 3.5" floppy using 2in1 and it runs ok. I did the same with the CLASSIC2.DSK image and saved that to 3.5" disk.

I ran DSKWRITE and it showed:

To turn a .DSK into a working disk, insert a blank floppy disc and type:

DSKWRITE filename A:
or DSKWRITE filename B:

So I removed the DSKWRSEA disk from B drive and replaced it with my disk containing my .DSK image and typed DSKWRITE CLASSIC2 B: but it gave an error of couldn't read DSK.

I also put a 3" floppy in A drive as I assume this is what it meant by insert blank floppy.

I'm very likely doing something wrong or in the wrong order as I've never used this program before but I also wonder if it's the DSK image it's having trouble with.

« Last Edit: 15:28, 16 April 18 by P5ychoFox »

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
« Reply #19 on: 18:07, 16 April 18 »
Right.

You need your blank disk, the 3" destination disk, in A.

You need the disk in B: to have BOTH the image AND the DSKWRITE prog.

Assuming that B: is the current drive

DSKWRITE CLASSIC2.DSK A:

should do the job.

The swapping disks that you mentioned may well have messed things up, so the image is no longer accessible.

Geoff