UMMO - my new game for the Amstrad PCW

Started by FloppySoftware, 00:05, 06 August 14

Previous topic - Next topic

FloppySoftware

Hello to all PCWers!

I'm FloppySoftware, a proud user of an Amstrad PCW 8256.

This post is to anounce my new game for the Amstrad PCW.

It is written in MESCC, my own version of Small C, with some libraries from SAMARUC, my GUI for the Amstrad PCW, and TWO (The World Of), a game engine inspired in Greenfoot.

You can download the game from my website (you can download some other files, and even read about my PCW software projects).

Direct link: http://www.floppysoftware.vacau.com/ummo.dsk

Some screenshoots:

http://www.floppysoftware.vacau.com
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

MacDeath

nice to see new games for PCW...
Perhaps it could also be ported to CPC as well... :D

does it support AY soundcard ?

Also feel free to come here and post more often, PCW is considered a "brother" system here... and is more beloved than spectrum, needless to say.

So you also made a GUI HTML thing on PCW ?

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 17:47, 06 August 14
Looks pretty awesome.  :)
indeed it does. I might even get my 9512+ out of the loft to try it ☺
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Token

Sykobee (Briggsy)

It looks pretty nice from the screenshots!

I'll have to find a decent PCW emulator to play it though.

SyX

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Ah, err, Linux/Mac?
I've got a netbook somewhere that should run it though.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 13:10, 07 August 14
Ah, err, Linux/Mac?
I've got a netbook somewhere that should run it though.
Joyce should compile for Linux and osx. However I have not managed to get it ever to compile on osx, and only on limited Linux distros.

Which is a real shame as I only have osx and android machines now

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Comment: After playing the game I realized it's quite in well speed as you constantly fire. But if you don't fire it's way to quick. Maybe the speed could be adapted to be constant.

Also the "Speed key" could be altered. Means the initial delay of the key is too big. I'm not sure if I can make myself clear: If you press right or left it moves one step, but then waits too long until it continues moving.

I hope that my suggestions help to make it a bit better. But never mind, it's a great game anyway :-)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

remax

Really great graphics... it looks like an old arcade game :)
Brain Radioactivity

ralferoo

Nice, looks good. Shame I don't have a PCW to try it out... I do have a friend with one though, so I'll pass along the link. :)

FloppySoftware

Quote from: TFM on 15:48, 07 August 14
Comment: After playing the game I realized it's quite in well speed as you constantly fire. But if you don't fire it's way to quick. Maybe the speed could be adapted to be constant.

Also the "Speed key" could be altered. Means the initial delay of the key is too big. I'm not sure if I can make myself clear: If you press right or left it moves one step, but then waits too long until it continues moving.

I hope that my suggestions help to make it a bit better. But never mind, it's a great game anyway :-)

I take good note of your comments.

The game speed differs depending of how many items are active, but I will think how to solve this.

Regarding the speed in keyboard response, the problem is due to the way I check it. I use the BIOS (CP/M) functions instead of reading directly the keyboard. I will check this too.

Of course, your comments are more than wellcome, thanks.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

Carnivius

Looks pretty neat.  Also reminds me a bit of playing Space War on my friend's PC in the early 90's.

By the way @TFM your avatar had been bugging me for a lil while.  It seems familiar to me but I can't quite think what it is.  Looks like some old school sci fi anime thing.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

TFM

Quote from: Carnivac on 17:45, 08 August 14
Looks pretty neat.  Also reminds me a bit of playing Space War on my friend's PC in the early 90's.

By the way @TFM your avatar had been bugging me for a lil while.  It seems familiar to me but I can't quite think what it is.  Looks like some old school sci fi anime thing.

Well, this is of course Captain Future my all time favorite character of sci-fi. The German version has the best sound. Take a look:

Captain Future - Theme

TFM of FutureSoft

Carnivius

Quote from: TFM on 17:48, 08 August 14
Well, this is of course Captain Future my all time favorite character of sci-fi.

Ah yeah. I hadn't seen that show in well over 20 years it must be.  Was trying to rack my brains thinking what it was from your lil avatar but I just couldn't get it.  Thanks for the info.  Nice video.   :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

TFM

Well, one day we should make a game out of it  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

Quote from: FloppySoftware on 00:05, 06 August 14
It is written in MESCC, my own version of Small C, with some libraries from SAMARUC, my GUI for the Amstrad PCW, and TWO (The World Of), a game engine inspired in Greenfoot.

Nice Looking Game.

Is the source code available for those libraries?  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

FloppySoftware

Quote from: AMSDOS on 23:42, 08 August 14
Is the source code available for those libraries?  ;D

Not yet, but my intention is to release the full source code in the future under the GPL license.

MacDeath

Optimus

Haha UMMO! I read that crazy alien story somewhere, something about someone imagining that he has been visited by aliens and writting tons of texts about the alien culture and science. I think his psychiatrist almost believed him. That symbol there is even inspiration for a greek conspiracy story about a secret alien team, Epsilon team.

p.s. I wish I had a PCW to try this. Maybe I will try it in emulator (are there any recommended?). I know nothing about the PCW, but the resolution seems great, although no color. Maybe someone made a demo for it?

TMR

Quote from: Optimus on 15:53, 11 August 14
Maybe I will try it in emulator (are there any recommended?). I know nothing about the PCW, but the resolution seems great, although no color.

i'm in the same boat, downloaded Joyce for Windows and installed it but have no idea how to actually get the game loaded... is there an idiot's guide to the PCW out there? =-)

MacDeath

don't you have to first load CP/M ?