Author Topic: Who wants IDE drives on the PCW?  (Read 7727 times)

Offline Prodatron

• 6128 Plus
  • Back on the Z80
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • SymbOS SYmbiosis Multitasking Based Operating System
  • Liked: 915
Re: Who wants IDE drives on the PCW?
« Reply #190 on: 21:51, 09 September 17 »
@Jon:

X-MASS operates in 8-bit mode. The CPLD programs this at power on and holds the CPC in reset until the device accepts it. So just like the uIDE it requires a device supporting the CF-IDE spec. If I try to enable 16-bit mode with X-MASS I see half the data. (8 bits of each 16bit data).

Symbiface 2 operates in 16-bit mode. It doesn't program anything at power-on and assumes the device is in 16-bit mode from the start. Reading from the data port returns the first byte and then the second. It operates similar to G-IDE but I think the design is independent. Most HD's I've tried don't support 8-bit mode even though the ATA-1 spec mentions it.
Yes, that's exactly how it is. Btw, I have a 10 years old 16GB SanDisc "Extreme" CF card, and it isn't detected on the PCW with uIDE by the XTEST tool and SymbOS. Maybe even some (larger?) CF cards don't support the 8bit mode, too? Anyway all of my smaller ones work fine, and it seems, that it's the same for all DOMs.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Offline JonB

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 122
« Reply #191 on: 11:27, 10 September 17 »
I stand corrected...  :)

...and by the way, that's one reason I recommend using a DOM with uIDE. However, my use cases are all CP/M based, so a 128MB DOM suffices (also being jolly cheap).
« Last Edit: 11:29, 10 September 17 by JonB »

Offline arnoldemu

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource
  • Liked: 1965
« Reply #192 on: 11:38, 10 September 17 »
Yes, that's exactly how it is. Btw, I have a 10 years old 16GB SanDisc "Extreme" CF card, and it isn't detected on the PCW with uIDE by the XTEST tool and SymbOS. Maybe even some (larger?) CF cards don't support the 8bit mode, too? Anyway all of my smaller ones work fine, and it seems, that it's the same for all DOMs.
It is possible that the larger CF card needs additional configuration.
I will try and make a test that can be run to confirm it.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource