Writing PCW disk images on CPC6128?

Started by zrusavpt, 12:04, 22 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

zrusavpt

Hi folks,

I am a proud owner of PCW8256 I've just purchased on eBay. Sadly, without any floppies, thus I have no clue if the thing actually works. I have managed to get a hold of some PCW system disk images, but I need to write them to a physical floppy.

I am planning to build HxC, but that will take me some time. The other option would be to attach the 3" drive to PC and write the image that way, but the instructions I have found are rather complex and complicated. As I own some 6128's with working floppy drives, I was wondering if I could actually use 6128 (with Parados and external 3.5" drive) to write the PCW disk image onto 3" floppy?

I am sort of a CPC noob, I was a regular user of 464 many yars ago, and sort of lost touch with the latest development on those platforms :)

I am relatively skilled HW designer and not afraid to use soldering iron and build stuff, so if the only chance is to rip the 3" drive out of PCW and attach it to PC, I'll do it... but I'd prefer easier way.
Well, I'll need to replace the drive belt anyway, but still... :)

Thanks!

GeoffB17

Maybe you could use John Elliott's DU54 system?

I'm assuming that your 6128 will run CP/M+, and that you can access the image file(s) on the 6128.

If you can run DU54, then you can use that to format/copy a 3" disk such that the PCW will recognise it and boot.

You can get DU54 from John's web site, or it's attached to a posting of mine somewhere nearby within this forum/section?

Geoff

TFM

Mit z.B CPC-DSK kannst Du ein DSK von 720 KB MS-DOS lesen und auf 3" schreiben. Das kann zwar der CPC nicht lesen, wenn es Joyce Format ist, aber am PcW sollte es dann laufen. Hab jetzt gerade keinen Link zur Hand. Aber es gibt da auch noch WriteDSK und CPCDiskXP (um DSK auf 3.5" zu schreiben, am PC). Viel Glueck.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

zrusavpt

Guys, thanks for the hints, I'll try them out when I get to reviving that poor little thing. I'm waiting for those drive belts right now :)

zrusavpt

An update: I couldn't get my head around the DU54 software - it looked to me like CP/M program for PCW. It won't help me much, even if it runs on CPC, because I don't have CP/M disks for 6128 either :)
I was looking into that CPC-DSK, but could not find it. Anyway, while looking for it, I found WriteDSK which seems to be the right tool to do the task.
It turned out my PC doesn't have floppy controller, so right now I am building another PC with floppy support so I can run CPCDiskXP :)

zrusavpt

And another update: I finally got it working! The process of creating the PCW system floppies was:
- use CPCDiskXp to put content of the WriteDsk package on 3.5" floppy
- copy the DSK files on another 3.5" floppy formatted to standard MSDOS 720k
- start CPC, and install the WriteDsk RSX by running -wrdsk from the 3.5" floppy:
   |b
   run"-wrdsk
- insert blank formatted 3" floppy and MSDOS floppy, run |dirdos to check the content of the MSDOS floppy
- use |writedsk,"file.dsk" to write the DSK file onto 3" floppy

GeoffB17

Good to hear you found a way!

Yes, DU54 (by John Elliott) is designed to look very much like LocoScript on the PCW, so if you're not familiar with that, this could be a problem.

Yes, it certainly is a CP/M prog, and if you do NOT have the CP/M for your 6128, then this will be another problem.  I assumed that the 6128 did come with CP/M, is this not so?  Maybe it's an optional extra??

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Geoff

zrusavpt

As far as I know, CPC6128 comes with CP/M, however, I bought it on eBay without any disks, which basically poses the same chicken and egg problem :) In order to run CP/M, I need to create CP/M boot disk.

There would be a way around, creating the 3.5" CP/M boot disk on PC and swapping the drives in CPC, but WriteDsk looked easier to me. If nothing else, WriteDsk can read the DSK images from MSDOS formatted floppies.

Next step - putting SymbOS on that thing!