News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Game Development Competition!

Started by SyX, 20:31, 01 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: sigh on 18:19, 09 January 13
16KB meaning that this is uncompressed?

No, 16 KB is the final maximum size in the ROM.

Quote from: sigh on 18:19, 09 January 13
Or could the game be 64KB and compressed into 16KB?

Yes, the game can be up to 64 KB. It just must fit into a 16 KB ROM after compression.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Anyway, here is a mock up of my game - I'm going to have to change some of the wall graphics to give it more of an angled-view-down-on-the-dungeon look and to fix issues with thin wall sections between rooms.

So if I get the time to finish the game, I will hopefully end up with a nice little roguelike / rpg style game with dynamically generated levels, increasing difficulty, etc. I hope you like the coral snake, and I'm quite chuffed with the eyetopus.

TotO

Nice, but... Is not better to keep it secret and show it finished in 6 months ???
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

arnoldemu

Quote from: TotO on 09:35, 10 January 13
Nice, but... Is not better to keep it secret and show it finished in 6 months ???
agreed.

The screenshot is really nice, will be good to see it running.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: TotO on 09:35, 10 January 13
Heh, that's it for now, the end result will surely be very different once I've actually designed how it will work, and worked around hardware/personal limitations :-)

Gryzor

Coral snake looks nice, but hard to tell from a static screen. The Eyetopus, on the other hand... I'd buy a plush toy modeled after it!

Also, I'm not sure entries should be kept secret by default. Let those who want, share their titles, and let those who don't want to, not.

TotO

[attachimg=1 width=400]

Click on the banner to go to the CPC Wiki dedicated page!  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

Oooo, nice use of the MegaFlash in the picture :) An extra Like for that.

Bryce.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Quote from: BryceOooo, nice use of the MegaFlash in the picture An extra Like for that.

Bryce.
See, fame is coming... slowly!

I'll hopefully put it up as a banner on the wiki today!

TFM

OMG! Just saw it's a bit less than half a year left! The deadline comes closer so quick!
Ok, tonite I have to care about sound effects of one of my games, else I will have a bad concienceness for the whole weekend.
TFM of FutureSoft

ralferoo

Just wanted to clarify something:

Quote from: SyX on 20:31, 01 January 13
- The applicant owns their work, so therefore submitted games will *ONLY* be released for sale at an agreed price if the coder expresses a desire to do so.
- The games would be rated by public votes during the next two weeks after the deadline and the results will appear at 00:00 GMT on the 16th July of 2013.
The second of these rules suggests that every game submitted will be available for public download in order to vote.

The first of these rules sounds like it's saying that each author can choose whether the game is available for download and at what cost.

Another alternative interpretation is that all the games will be available for free download, but may not be sold at cost unless the coder agrees. Obviously this option would be preferable in terms of getting more new games out into the hands of CPC owners.

It'd probably be worth updating the rules to clarify this, for the latter case maybe something like "full copyright and distribution rights remain with the respective author(s), but cpcwiki.eu will be given a non-exclusive and non-transferable licence to distribute the ROM images free of charge indefinitely/until _____". Mostly, I'm just concerned that someone could be declared the winner/loser and then refuse to allow distribution for a fair price. Equally, it's fair that if these ROMs are ever going to be sold that the author does seem some of that money if they want - I fully expect we'll see people burning these and selling them on ebay...

Sadly, I'm unlikely to get organised enough to make an entry myself due to having too many other projects on the go, but I'm definitely interested in seeing this project succeed as my FPGA emulator supports 28 additional ROMs and I'm itching to fill those spaces with something... ;)

SyX

Quote from: ralferoo on 22:02, 15 January 13Another alternative interpretation is that all the games will be available for free download, but may not be sold at cost unless the coder agrees. Obviously this option would be preferable in terms of getting more new games out into the hands of CPC owners.
That is the meaning, but following your advise, we will clarify it to avoid misunderstandings.

Quote from: ralferoo on 22:02, 15 January 13Sadly, I'm unlikely to get organised enough to make an entry myself due to having too many other projects on the go, but I'm definitely interested in seeing this project succeed as my FPGA emulator supports 28 additional ROMs and I'm itching to fill those spaces with something... ;)
YES!!! ;)

Gryzor

Ralf, I think it's clear enough that the game *would* be downloadable and that any paid distribution would have to be OK'ed by the authors... at least I read it clearly enough the first time around.

But you raise a very, very interesting issue, that of bootleg ROMs. Indeed I'd hate for those fuckers to start making money off other people's releases. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with copyrights being passed over to the Wiki, although it would pose an advantage, reporting an auction "as the sole distributor of the software in question". Maybe just the distribution rights?

Cheers
T

PS I've installed a banner announcement on the wiki. Users can dismiss it by clicking on, erm, dunno, "dismiss".

McKlain

Pirates will pirate anyway, but I think that using creative commons licenses for the productions is not a bad idea.

Gryzor

Well yes of course, but why not report them if they try something on eBay?

McKlain

Of course, and then you also have the backing of the CC license that you put on your production, as you are the creator of the game.

SyX

And the most important, you need that all the authors agreed to use that license... and then a fun compo will transform in a political discussion :P

Everything is easier, the authors have all the rights over their works; the games are going to be freely downloadable from the competition page, here in the CPC-Wiki; and if after the competition we could make a physical compilation with all the entries, we will request their permission for it.

McKlain

That's not what I meant. Of course every creator has the right to use whatever license he likes, I was just talking about the specific case of some guy selling pirate copies of your rom game on ebay.

TotO

Quote from: McKlain on 19:41, 16 January 13
That's not what I meant. Of course every creator has the right to use whatever license he likes, I was just talking about the specific case of some guy selling pirate copies of your rom game on ebay.
99% of the existing DSK files that we are using everyday are pirate copies... So, speaking about CC license for our leisure is just a joke. Nobody will sold a million! (officially here or on ebay)

TFM

Quote from: McKlain on 11:54, 16 January 13
Pirates will pirate anyway, but I think that using creative commons licenses for the productions is not a bad idea.

IMHO Gryzors point (or part of it) was that some suckers make money with software, which has been released free of cost. And I don't like that either. Well, we have probably to live with it.
TFM of FutureSoft

McKlain

Well, in the case that someone is selling YOUR game on ebay burned into a plus cartridge, can you tell the guys on ebay that he is selling YOUR software without your approval and to cancel the sale?

ivarf

But what if the seller claims he is "just selling his personal copy" and want to cover his costs for the work and the EPROM? Then if there is many high bids, can we complain about it? No matter if the seller is from Poland or not?

McKlain

If I license my game using this:

Choose a License

to not to allow commercial uses of my work, what can he do?

TFM

Quote from: McKlain on 00:14, 17 January 13
Well, in the case that someone is selling YOUR game on ebay burned into a plus cartridge, can you tell the guys on ebay that he is selling YOUR software without your approval and to cancel the sale?
Well, by accident I just had such a situation, but I emailed them a bit after the auction was closed. Their reaction was none.
I don't mind people selling my crap ;-) But for a fair price, not for hundreds of Euros, because they find some poor guy who don't know better.
TFM of FutureSoft