News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Game Development Competition!

Started by SyX, 20:31, 01 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

@TFM/OS, is it anything like this?

NewTestSpaceflier

A couple of chickens appear at 1:21.

TFM

Hehe, no. I guess I can't paste such a "big boss" in the 16 KB ROM. But a nice idea for the disc version. Funny video! :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

My plan is to do something I have not tried before. Code is currently in c but I know a bit of z80 will be needed. It will easily fit into a Rom. It is based on an existing game. I am planning it to be wire drawn 3d in mode 0 . All will become clear when it is done.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

TFM

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:14, 07 February 13
My plan is to do something I have not tried before. Code is currently in c but I know a bit of z80 will be needed. It will easily fit into a Rom. It is based on an existing game. I am planning it to be wire drawn 3d in mode 0 . All will become clear when it is done.
Vectors in Mode 0 :o  I'm curious to see the result. Usually Mode 1 is taken for them, but since you take Mode 0 this must be different. And I guess such a game was not made before on CPC. Looking forward to July 2013.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM/FS on 17:21, 07 February 13
Vectors in Mode 0 :o  I'm curious to see the result. Usually Mode 1 is taken for them, but since you take Mode 0 this must be different. And I guess such a game was not made before on CPC. Looking forward to July 2013.
Here is one game:
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=205

mine is not this game.
My games. My Games

TFM

I like that one much. But I also like Starglider and Starfox very much. Starglider did come with an amzing story :)

TFM of FutureSoft

Axelay

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:14, 07 February 13

Perhaps someone is finally making this for me?  :D
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=pub&num=7234

which I kinda assumed would be based on this:
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=30

Optimus

Just realized a similar contest RGCD: C64 16KB Cartridge Game Development Competition!
Some of the entries are already quite cool and playable.
Might give some inspiration I thought ;)

cpcitor

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:54, 04 February 13
Of course you could do an abstract, generated title screen...

See Programming in C on the CPC for references to techniques for generated graphics and impressive prods on modern hardware. A 12kb game would let 4k foran impressive generated title screen.
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Bryce

Quote from: Optimus on 17:00, 08 February 13
Just realized a similar contest RGCD: C64 16KB Cartridge Game Development Competition!

Ahhhh, my eyes are hurting from all that brown. No.2 (Assembloids) gets my vote for managing not to be brown on a C64. :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Some nice screens on there. But yeah, all that brown...

ivarf

Quote from: Bryce on 21:15, 08 February 13
Ahhhh, my eyes are hurting from all that brown. No.2 (Assembloids) gets my vote for managing not to be brown on a C64. :D

Bryce.

Why do the C64 games have so much brown. Surely they don't do it just to show us that they can... ;)

Bryce

It's partially due to a mistake in the PAL implementation. On NTSC or RGB the colours aren't as brown as the PAL C64.

Bryce.

TotO

Quote from: ivarfWhy do the C64 games have so much brown. Surely they don't do it just to show us that they can...
Because the NTSC* colours decoding on the olds TV is bad and everyone use the resultant wrong palette...

Here, how look the C64 coulours with a good decoder:

* Never Twice the Same Color

Quote from: BryceIt's partially due to a mistake in the PAL implementation. On NTSC or RGB the colours aren't as brown as the PAL C64.
Probably too. :p
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

sigh

Quote from: Optimus on 17:00, 08 February 13

Some incredible entries with Super Bread Box and Assembloids looking amazing from the youtube videos I watched. Wonderland also looked great, though a very ambitious project. as that sort of RPG would need a lot of time investment.

TFM

I'm blind!!! OMG! Please let's get back to topic - I mean the CPC :-X
TFM of FutureSoft

arnoldemu

competition gets a mention in this month's retro gamer along with a picture of cyberhuhn.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Fixed point arithmetic is fun.  :laugh:
I'll be updating my document on cpctech when I've done this project.

2d rotation using a sin table and fixed point is working but I currently have a bug in the perspective projection.
once that is done, the rest should be easy.

index buffer and vertex buffers on a z80? nearly.

My games. My Games

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Hello guys,

I would like to announce that, for the competition's winners, the CPCWiki will be offering:

2 Raspberry Pis, encased in an acrylic case

[attach=2]

1 Gooseberry development board packing a nice A10 processor @1GHz with a Mali 400 GPU complete with all relevant cables and PSU.

[attach=3]

I'll try to find more gear to contribute :) Let me take this opportunity to ask you to contribute any gear you may have lying around to promote the competition!

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Nah, just want to see this succeed! I hope more will follow - from a couple of 3" disks to a complete system, everything makes a difference :)

SyX

Amazing contribution Gryzor!!!  :) :) :)

Thanks for the great support that you are giving to the competition since the beginning :)