News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Game Development Competition!

Started by SyX, 20:31, 01 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

SyX

I imagine is not a problem using the S-Video modulator, but i don't say for the CRTC tricks, it's more for the dithering, the colour interlace, ... everybody will see since 1 of july :)

fano

"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Optimus

Unfortunately I'll not be able to finish something for this competition. Since I am also speeding for the CPC megademo part and had some setbacks in my plans, time is very little even for a simple game. Which I wouldn't like to push. I have some ideas that I prefer to develop in my own time without any deadlines. So, you could remove my participation from the list if you want.

Still curious about all the other entries.

Gryzor

redbox

I've finished the coding for an entry.  It's just being tested now  :)

IMHO it was great to have a deadline to work to because it means the project was actually finished.

The coding I've done is not perfect, but it's my first game and I had to write every routine from scratch.  Some of the code I'm really pleased with and some is a big horrible mess that I know could be much better, but it works and it's something everyone can (hopefully) enjoy...!

And I've learnt a *lot* from the process, which has inspired me to continue with the Z80  :D

cpcitor

I already announced this privately, but let's be nice to everyone.

Sorry for that, but except someone can lend me a time machine, there's reaaaally no possible way I could produce an entry for the competition in time.   :'(

Not that I lost interest, but work and family kept me very busy. I'm progessing at keeping up the rhythm, though.  :D

But I read that there could be another competition next year. Please do, it give sense to continue to code.
Can't meet this deadline ? Let's aim at the next !

Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

TFM

Another competition? Great idea, but 9 months seem to be IMHO the mimimum time, a year maybe even better.... and 16 KB ROM is a great limit, that makes things doable ;-)

In case I should get one of the prices, I want hereby donate it for the next competition. That may motivate some people to participate. Ok, I'm not fishing for votes here, BUT to me it looks like that we have less entries getting finished than prices. And so everyone seems to get one anyway. Ok!?!

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

If I finish mine and if I win, I also will give the prize to the second place winner. I already have a raspberry pi.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Yes! You have to!   (And nobody will be mad if you release an 'advanced edition' some time later ;-))
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM/FS on 17:12, 12 June 13
Yes! You have to!   (And nobody will be mad if you release an 'advanced edition' some time later ;-))
I will finish it.

I am writing my own line drawing and clipping functions and debugging them. I need to do this to improve the frame rate.
I don't know if all my work will be ready for the deadline.

I want something that is fairly fast (especially in anaglyph mode - yes it has a switchable mode and you can choose your glasses colours).

Quite a lot of bugs to fix.
My games. My Games

cpcitor

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:46, 13 June 13
I want something that is fairly fast (especially in anaglyph mode - yes it has a switchable mode and you can choose your glasses colours).

Wow, that looks impressively promising for a CPC production.

I wish I could say "I still have to debug my holographic display driver and the non-playable characters aren't quite optimal. But the gameplay is already there and the texture-mapped world is already as big as Australia with 1cm details everywhere. I think I pushed the CPC's capabilities fairly far, perhaps will leave High Dynamic Range light processing for version 2."  ;)
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

arnoldemu

Quote from: cpcitor on 18:13, 13 June 13
Wow, that looks impressively promising for a CPC production.

I wish I could say "I still have to debug my holographic display driver and the non-playable characters aren't quite optimal. But the gameplay is already there and the texture-mapped world is already as big as Australia with 1cm details everywhere. I think I pushed the CPC's capabilities fairly far, perhaps will leave High Dynamic Range light processing for version 2."  ;)
well it's got index buffers, vertex buffers, a command-list. Soon it'll have LODs too.  :)

I think texture mapping and HDR will be another time  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
My games. My Games

fano

Hey ! what about shaders and surface rendering !?  :laugh:
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor

Just wanted to say that I'm adding, as a small prize, the *good* biography of Alan Sugar, Alan Sugar: The Amstrad Story (not that self-bio crap that was released last year).

It's a great read, and this is my personal copy, I thought it could give some weird pleasure and tingling sensation to someone more deserving it :)

T

PS Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed other people didn't offer anything as prizes; I mean, I'm sure we all have stuff lying around that we could do without, but others would take great joy in...

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:32, 20 June 13
I thought it could give some weird pleasure and tingling sensation to someone more deserving it :)

Or they could just read it? :D

I thought we now have more prizes than competitors?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Read it... well, yeah, that too.

As for prizes, the more the better :)

beaker

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:32, 20 June 13
PS Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed other people didn't offer anything as prizes; I mean, I'm sure we all have stuff lying around that we could do without, but others would take great joy in...

Only thing I have laying around that I don't use is a c64G that some tit painted gold and a knackered datacorder... and I wouldn't want to insult anyone by giving it away, even more so in an Amstrad competition :)

What happened to the idea of a small cash prize that people could contribute to?

Gryzor

I wouldn't mind a c64G :D

As for the cash prizes, did anyone donate and I didn't notice? ;) In any case, the prizes are largely symbolic. If it's cash, then how much money would a winner be worth?

TFM

It's like back the day when people told "Why shall I buy if I can copy". No wonder that we have less entries than prices... Programmers need some more motivation. But surely no commodore crap...

Maybe good programmers would go for things like that (and please don't feel insulted):
- Hard-disc for the CPC
- Hard-disc for the CPC, which is supported by software in coexisance with Amsdos
- Dinner with Grzyors girl-friend (Dinner only!!)
- Autogram from Hiroyuki
- Kangaroo butt-whipping-session
- A paintjob for your keyboard
- A "Powered by...." on something
- Oh, and a presentation of the game in the local lesbian bar of course
TFM of FutureSoft

steve

I would imagine that anyone writing programs for the CPC is not doing it for gain but as a hobby or for the challenge, they will be following their own schedule and no amount of prizes is going to make them hurry up and finish the program, it will be ready when it is ready, if not this year then next (maybe).

TFM

Ok so...? That does not mean that a nice price can't motivate people to get their projects started of finished!

We both can argue from our POV, however it shouldn't sound like an excuse  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

beaker

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:47, 21 June 13
But surely no commodore crap...

Love the c64 and all the love and attention it deserves  :laugh:

[attach=2]

TFM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! This is an endless nightmare! It tries to snap me!!!
TFM of FutureSoft

steve

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:22, 21 June 13
Ok so...?

My post was quite clear -  the program will be finished when it is finished.

That does not mean that a nice price can't motivate people to get their projects started of finished!

... and not before.

We both can argue from our POV, however it shouldn't sound like an excuse  :laugh:

No excuses, this is a hobby, not work, no deadlines.