News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Game Development Competition!

Started by SyX, 20:31, 01 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

cpcitor

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:02, 01 July 13
Not even with the new green-green 3D glasses?

;D
Peanut Computer display from Another World (a.k.a. Out Of This World) was green but 3D and didn't need *ing 3D glasses.  ;)

(source Retodon8 | Images | Peanut Computer | gamerDNA )

See also
Volumetric display projects 200 Million voxels per second
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Gryzor

Heh, I actually downloaded Another World yesterday on my Kindle, love that game.

I wonder how long before they develop a technology that's commercially viable!

TFM

So... back to topic if you all don't mind. ... How did the ROM compo come along. In P&P I did read that four entries made it in time. Any news already? Ok, ok. ... Patience is a virtue ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Yes. You can see the update on the wiki page!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

EgoTrip

Disappointed that The Dungeons of Count Roland timed out, that looked promising.

Going by the screenshots, congrats on winning the competition Axelay, rexbeng and Tom & Jerry.

TotO

By chance, a screenshot don't make a game!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

rexbeng

sigh

Congratulations to all that entered.

Where can we play these fine game?

SyX

Quote from: EgoTrip on 22:22, 01 July 13
Going by the screenshots, congrats on winning the competition Axelay, rexbeng and Tom & Jerry.
What?!?!?!? The games need to be uploaded yet, i don't know if we will upload before to go to sleep (in that case tomorrow morning they will be uploaded, i have returned from a mini-holidays and i'm supertired), but there is not a winner yet, everybody needs to play and send their votes, before we have a winner team ;)

TomEtJerry

Quote from: sigh on 22:57, 01 July 13
Congratulations to all that entered.

Where can we play these fine game?

You should have come to the Reset #10 party, we played will all the games that still are in the competition !

I am a little bit disappointed too by the weak number of entries but they all are of good quality.

Gryzor

Even a single release would be good enough for me, so I'm anxious to play them all :) Bring them on! (and we should sort out the voting system - discussion stopped on that front)

TotO

The ROM games are NOW AVAILABLE !!!

Have fun! :)

TotO

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 07:14, 02 July 13I am a little bit disappointed too by the weak number of entries but they all are of good quality.
Me too, to have not presented our game in time.

Please, don't stop!!!
Continue for an extended time period of 1 month.
We will update the wiki-page for them and can make a second vote for the glory!

tastefulmrship

4 brilliant games, there! It looks like my day off WILL be full of CPC goodness, afterall!

My ranking;

1. Relentless (Yeah, yeah! Pretty graphics & music win again! ^_^)
2. Overkoban (Anyone who knows me knows I love Sokoban games!)
3. Subtera Pulzo (A nice action/puzzle game. Very addictive!)
4. Cyber Huhn. (MUST. KILL. CHICKENS.)

Well done to all involved!

And to those who didn't make the deadline... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE finish your games so we can enjoy them, too!

redbox

Looks like I won't be doing much work today...

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: EgoTrip on 22:22, 01 July 13
Disappointed that The Dungeons of Count Roland timed out, that looked promising.

[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Still working on it, when I get time - darned baby and house improvements. :-([/size]

redbox

Wow, what cool games...!

Relentless - amazing scrolling (is it software or hardware?) and overscan
Overkoban - nice overscan again and good puzzler
Cyberhuhn - great number of sprites and movement on screen
Subtera Puzlo - pure perfection  ;)

I really enjoyed doing the coding for our entry and it was cool to collaborate with EgoTrip (who had a lot of patience!) which without this forum wouldn't have been possible.

Only thing I didn't finish with the game engine is the main sprite isn't pre-shifted on the X axis (all the enemies are though) but this was because I should've used a dirty tilemap instead of a screen buffer but I only found out about this about 3/4 of the way through programming it - and didn't have time for the re-write!  I also didn't use a whole host of routines I learnt about whilst developing (vector tables!!! YES!!!) but that's all part of the learning process.

Having said that the sprite routines and table routines are very nice, but again, I know how to make them faster now ;)  Thanks to all that helped with the coding, would've never been finished without you :)

cpcitor

Hello,

Arnoldemu allowed me to try cyberhuhn and overkoban because they supply a DSK. Any attempt to use the cartridge files seemed totally ignored.

I think I have an old version of arnoldemu (no "about" box to tell exactly which version). There's no clearly visible source for arnoldemu on a web site like github.

How to reproduce, for example with relentless:
* run arnoldemu
* press "Cartridge" button, select the ROM file
* press "Reset" button
* in CPC type "|relent"
* observed : see "Unknown Command".
* expected : game starts

Same result for other cartridge files.

Any recommended emulator running on Linux for those who don't have a CPC at hand ?
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Bryce

They aren't cartridge files, they are ROM files. So they definitely won't work with the method you are trying. You have to insert them as a ROM.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Shall we open a polling thread for the votes?

Off to play! Yay!

[EDIT] Here's a HFE file with all the ROMs for use with the HxC Floppy Emulator...

Axelay

At last!  Time to play!  :D

Quote from: redbox on 11:34, 02 July 13

Relentless - amazing scrolling (is it software or hardware?) and overscan

The scrolling is hardware, same method as Edge Grinder but at twice the frame rate.

mr_lou

There are some of us who doesn't have an emulator that can load ROM files.

And only 2 of the games comes with a DSK alternative.

TotO

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:25, 02 July 13
I use 4 CPC emulators and all support ROM...  :-\
Ask to T&J. It does that at the ReSeT with few BASIC lines...  :o

TomEtJerry

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:25, 02 July 13

And only 2 of the games comes with a DSK alternative.

We faced the same problem at the meeting :-).  You can easily do a Basic Loader for the games, like this one :

10 LOAD "xxxx.ROM",&C000
20 POKE &BB5A,&C9 ' some games display things during decrunching
30 CALL &C009

mr_lou

Thanks TomEtJerry!  :)

Got it working in Caprice meanwhile, but will go to my CPC right now.

Yes Bryce, but it's being "saved" for special occasions. Will of course put the ROM files on my CPC+ when I have the time to hook it up.  :)