News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Game Development Competition!

Started by SyX, 20:31, 01 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 11:34, 02 July 13
Cyberhuhn - great number of sprites and movement on screen
Thank's. Sprite routines use a new kind of precompiles sprite data, especially developped for this game. This also allows to place them pixel precise on the screen. The drawback is that it costs a lot of memory. But thanks to Madrams CPCT it just fit in one 16 KB ROM.
@all contributors: Now I had a look at the other entries. And I must really state every one of you did an amazing job!!! All your entries are IMHO better than the usual commerical game back the day!!! Great work!!!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Yea. I've been playing the games for a while now, and can see that it'll be difficult finding a favourite one. They're all very nice. Very polished and they have a modern feel to them. (Well, modern retro ;-)

I will play them some more.  :)

Border_7

Excuse the ignorance (and if this has been answered a million times already)  -  :D  - but is there a trick to running .ROM files on WinApe? some of these games have .dsk files in the zip - which is great and easy - but I'm not sure what to do with a zip that just has a ROM file....

and yes - I tried the above:

10 LOAD "PUZLO.ROM",&C000
20 POKE &BB5A,&C9 ' some games display things during decrunching
30 CALL &C009

I guess my question is, How do I initially open / load the ROM file? ( I thought it would be similar to Insert Disk Image....)
01000001 01101101 01110011 01110100 01110010
01100001 01100100
01000011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01110101
01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111

mr_lou

The ROM files and a BAS file for each ROM with those lines, should be put in a DSK file.

Use ManageDsk (or another tool) to do so.

Then upload your DSK here for others to enjoy.

alex76gr

4 new games for the CPC!!!
These are wonderful news!
My congratulations and gratitude to all those who participated in the contest. :)

I played the games on WinCPC and Winape.
For WinCPC i just dragged and dropped the ROM files on its executable icon.
After doing this the emulator runs and you can see the on-screen instructions (|Puzlo, |Relent).

For Winape i clicked on "Settings" and in the "Memory" tab i mounted the ROM on the "Upper 1" slot.
After resetting the emulator (Ctrl+F9) the on-screen instructions are there.
I am attaching a photo.

My rating:
1) Relentless
2) Subtera Puzlo
3) Overkoban
4) Cyber Hunn

I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)

Gryzor

Damn, voting for my fav is hard indeed...

Cyberhunt: very simple, but fucking addictive! I should try it with a mouse, but joystick is ok, too. Could do with a little radar to show the duckies, and I expected the gun to stop firing because it would overheat, but it's simple, mindless fun! Wish the tune (which is great) would also play throughout the game.

Overkoban: always liked Sokoban, and this is as lovely as they get! Right now it's my fav, along with Pixoban (Android). Overscan! Lovely gfx! Fantastic tune! Hard! Only criticism I have is the sprite could do with an extra frame or two (lack of space?) and, again, I'd like to be able to listen to the tune in-game (also, why doesn't joystick Fire double as Space?)

Puzlo: I overboiled my Greek coffee yesterday -was totally hooked. Yet another great tune, and becomes hard... Colour schemes are... interesting, had to take brightness down a bit, but everything is very clear.

Relentless: YET another great tune. Seriously, musicians outdid themselves in this batch! Scrolling is fantastic, of course, and the gfx look a bit like a title from the early life of the CPC but -and this is interesting- they have a refreshing character and unique look! Thank god for auto-fire, my thumb got sore before I realised I could just keep the button down :D

There goes the morning. Thank you all, guys, all four releases are really great and could pass as commercial games back in the day...

arnoldemu

All games are great!!!!

I will open a new thread for testing on my 3d game.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Axelay

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:16, 03 July 13
The ROM files and a BAS file for each ROM with those lines, should be put in a DSK file.

Use ManageDsk (or another tool) to do so.

Then upload your DSK here for others to enjoy.

Sorry, got so focused on the "ROM" part of the competition I completely forgot about something for people to use on a real CPC without any kind of ROM device.  Tape & Disk images of Relentless attached.

HAL6128

I follow your opinion. All games are great! (Ok, that won't help to find the winner).
All games fit into inpressive small 16kB ROM, starts immediatly, play very well, all have addictive game rates, cool graphics and the winner is (almost) TomEtJerry for his sound & music efforts regardles which game wins.  :)

Hopefully all other end their game developments despite out of contest.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

redbox

Quote from: Border_7 on 03:24, 03 July 13
I guess my question is, How do I initially open / load the ROM file? ( I thought it would be similar to Insert Disk Image....)

I have added the DSK/CDT (thanks Axelay) to the Relentless download and a DSK to the Subtera Puzlo download.

So all downloads now have the ROM files and DSK images to make it easier for everyone to load and play them.

See here for downloads: Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Game Development Competition 2013 - CPCWiki

Devilmarkus

I put all 4 games onto a DSK...

[attachurl=2]

I cannot say, which is the best. All 4 games play very nice.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

arnoldemu

Nice there is a dsk of the games.

But the competition is for ROM *only* (??) games.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:11, 03 July 13

Yeah, but ROMs can be loaded from disc or ROMboard :)

BTW, where do we vote?

Axelay

I suspect the only way of ensuring that would be to intentionally refer back to the ROM during the game specifically to make it harder for a disk version hack to emerge.  With 16K of ROM and 64K of RAM, I think it's inevitable that in most cases the ROM would end up an alternate delivery system crammed with packed data.  So with an eventual DSK version hack of the ROM also being virtually inevitable, I'd rather supply the DSK myself.   :)

alex76gr

Thank you guys for the DSK files.
These are really helpful. :)
I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)

Gryzor

Poll now open here: CPCWiki ROM Game Competition Voting

(entries were listed alphabetically)

TotO

Nice there is a dsk of the games.

Yes. The good use is to load ROM files to ROM slots.
On emulators, it's easy because most allow that. (best on a ROM Board)

But, I understand that if a game need to access ROM while running (a real ROM game), then that have been a problem for the vote and all games have been only tested using ROM slot or ROM board to be equitable.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Devilmarkus

I made this DSK for anyone, who isn't able to put real roms into real CPCs ;)

Everyone should have the chance to play all the games on the real machine.

BTW.: It's really hard to say, which prod. is the "best".

But: All 4 games look very polished and much better than many commercial prod's of the 80s and 90s!

Congrats to all people involved in this project!

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:52, 03 July 13
Poll now open here: CPCWiki ROM Game Competition Voting
(entries were listed alphabetically)
Cool!!!
May be good to add the link to the vote page on the News line of the forum? :)
(instead of the competition announced)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Yes, I will, - you're right.

It's such a joy to be able to play full quality games in an instant, from ROM! :)

Devilmarkus

What's about a "Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Demo Development Competition"?

16k demos ;)

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:00, 03 July 13
Cyberhuhn: very simple, but fucking addictive! I should try it with a mouse, but joystick is ok, too. Could do with a little radar to show the duckies, and I expected the gun to stop firing because it would overheat, but it's simple, mindless fun! Wish the tune (which is great) would also play throughout the game.
Yes, the gun overheats after 21 shots (normal energy ball), the yellow energy ball doesn't overheat quick, but needs more time between shots.
A radar is a great idea! (Remains to think how to make it looking like, maybe like in Mutant Camels). And also to play the tune in game. So I will make an update of Cyber Huhn.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TomEtJerry

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:00, 03 July 13

Overkoban: always liked Sokoban, and this is as lovely as they get! Right now it's my fav, along with Pixoban (Android). Overscan! Lovely gfx! Fantastic tune! Hard! Only criticism I have is the sprite could do with an extra frame or two (lack of space?) and, again, I'd like to be able to listen to the tune in-game (also, why doesn't joystick Fire double as Space?)

Well, you are not the first one requesting music during the game. But, as Sok... Overkoban has some very hard and long  levels, I think it's preferable to concentrate in pure silence :-). Maybe an improved disk release will see daylight with the same logic as Color lines, more levels and more music. But don't expect it soon...

About the sprite lake of frames, that's a design choice to make the moves of the little guy faster. I have played in the past with some Sokoban games where the moves were pixel perfect, that was quite slow and boring... And of course, that was easier to code :-)).

Fire on the joystick in the main game has the same result as space (just tested witn Winape, hope it's not a CPC bug :-) ).

TFM

@Tom&Jerry: Thank's for your wonderful tunes for Cyber Huhn. Sadly the space in ROM is so limited, that I could use only one song. However the others will be used for the Tape/Disc version. And maybe I also can improve crunching too.

However, let me ask a question here: Did anybody play CH with a mouse? And values of expetience? Any suggestions?
TFM of FutureSoft

tastefulmrship

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 19:13, 03 July 13
as Sok... Overkoban has some very hard and long  levels, I think it's preferable to concentrate in pure silence :-).
This! 100%.