News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CHASE HQ II - THE WAIT IS OVER

Started by ukmarkh, 19:58, 03 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

If he allows us do dump the cart according to his condidions (and it works!) I'm willing to give him my 20 Euros as a kind of "used time compensation". Maybe this is a small motivation for him  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Put me up for another twenty. It's for a good cause.

But, indeed, then what - assuming the cart is actually bought? Who gets to keep it?

Ooh, I was thinking about the first CPC site that comes to mind... :D

Btw, the assertion about Paypal protection in the first page is wrong. Funds are not withheld until positive feedback is given - you confuse this with the escrow procedure. Money are sent at once, and then the seller sends the goods. Take this from me - about 700 score on eBay...

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:17, 07 October 10
But, indeed, then what - assuming the cart is actually bought? Who gets to keep it?
If somebody had to keep it I would go with the person who went to dump it, e.g. ukmarkh, or even one of the Spanish guys.
Those guys have done a lot for the cpc scene too, spending crazy money to obtain rare hardware and software.
I know either of those would keep it safe.

I think a dump is more likely .. but I think it may take time again.

so who wants a port of the Spectrum version until then?  :laugh: Hey MacDeath, don't kill me  :laugh:
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:24, 07 October 10
so who wants a port of the Spectrum version until then?  :laugh: Hey MacDeath, don't kill me  :laugh:

Review of Spectrum version on YouTube is great:

"Having already come up with the notion that Chase HQ was probably the   best driving game on the ZX Spectrum, here I take a look at it's sequel:   Chase HQ 2 Special Criminal Investigation. The only thing   criminal about the game is how utter poor and shite it is compared to   the original.  Those responsible for this monstrosity should have been   rounded up and shot.  Or dropped from a great height out of an aeroplane   and onto a solid tarmac surface."

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 09:30, 07 October 10
Review of Spectrum version on YouTube is great:

"Having already come up with the notion that Chase HQ was probably the   best driving game on the ZX Spectrum, here I take a look at it's sequel:   Chase HQ 2 Special Criminal Investigation. The only thing   criminal about the game is how utter poor and shite it is compared to   the original.  Those responsible for this monstrosity should have been   rounded up and shot.  Or dropped from a great height out of an aeroplane   and onto a solid tarmac surface."
So are you saying yes or no? ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

robcfg

You can count with my twenty euros or pounds or whatever you want.

The important thing here is to get that cart dumped.

fano

"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

ukmarkh

Chaps, please let me handle any issues around getting the cart dumped. I don't think it's a good idea for any more folk to try contacting James or anyone else about the cart. I've been in talks for ages over this, and I'd hate to think I'd fallen at the final hurdle, too many cooks and all that. I appreciate I can't stop anybody, but would hope if they did approach James, they tread with care.

The Cart can be transferred easily without breaking the seal... I've been promised the equipment, and it's ready as and when I need it.

As it happens, I've been in talks with James, via a chap I know from Retro Gamer... and things are looking promising, but still very sensitive. I've also been in talks with 'arnoldemu' and he has been very helpful around some techy issues.

Xyphoe - James confirmed the cart wasn't his, and that the photo was as you rightly pointed out, one of his own. Sorry for any confusion on that one.

I've also just had confirmation that the Cart is definitely not for sale... but there may be another solution.

In the meantime, Martyn and James have kindly provided me with a photo of the game.

dragon

You have asked in the forum of ocean?

There are many oceans programmers.

Some scheduled games cpc.

Maybe someone stayed for a cartridge.

http://oceanexp.proboards.com/index.cgi

ukmarkh

In reply to Xyphoe:

Buyer Protection

If you and the seller can't agree on a solution.
If after 10 days the problem can't be resolved, let us know. We'll arrange for a refund including original postage if your case qualifies for eBay Buyer Protection. Remember, eBay Buyer Protection only applies to items paid with PayPal.

And I've had to use it in the past and fully got my money back.

TFM

Right Mark, it really wouldn't be good if now a bunch of guys writes emails to the owner of CHQII. We all appreciate that you care about that issue. And I really hope it will turn out positive, so that we get a cart dump :-)
It seems to use a similar engine like BR does. I'm curious if there will be helicopters too ;-)

Do you know how much KB the game has?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:35, 07 October 10
Chaps, please let me handle any issues around getting the cart dumped. I don't think it's a good idea for any more folk to try contacting James or anyone else about the cart. I've been in talks for ages over this, and I'd hate to think I'd fallen at the final hurdle, too many cooks and all that. I appreciate I can't stop anybody, but would hope if they did approach James, they tread with care.
The Cart can be transferred easily without breaking the seal... I've been promised the equipment, and it's ready as and when I need it.
As it happens, I've been in talks with James, via a chap I know from Retro Gamer... and things are looking promising, but still very sensitive. I've also been in talks with 'arnoldemu' and he has been very helpful around some techy issues.
Xyphoe - James confirmed the cart wasn't his, and that the photo was as you rightly pointed out, one of his own. Sorry for any confusion on that one.
I've also just had confirmation that the Cart is definitely not for sale... but there may be another solution.
In the meantime, Martyn and James have kindly provided me with a photo of the game.

Top stuff! Don't worry if you think I was going to try and contact him, I wasn't ... I'm just offering whatever I can to help facilitate the dumping of this. Whether it be driving people/things around, doing the dumping, or whatever. :)

Thanks for the new pics!!

Let us know what James comes back with ... it seems we have the hardware and the means to dump this safely so I wonder what the hold up his at his end. Actually strike that last comment... I think we're all just very anxious to see this game!

Saying that, as I've said on my site I think we're going to be quite disappointed in the end. Going on Martyn's article, playing the Speccy version on which the backend code is based on, and knowing how crap ICE (programmers) are ... eg Turbo Outrun, Hydra, etc.... it's not going to be good.

I guess if you want a taste of it imagine the Speccy version of Chase HQ 2 crossed with Turbo Outrun.

Xyphoe

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:55, 07 October 10
It seems to use a similar engine like BR does.

Apparently it doesn't, try playing or watching on YouTube the Speccy version of it :(

TFM

Sorry, the CPC pic tells a lot. But I don't think they used a speccy port to make a Plus game

I took a look at youtube spectrum version. That look totally different. But it look a lot like Burnin Rubber.
TFM of FutureSoft

Cpcmaniaco

I remenber talking about it on the forum of CPCzone.

And the best solution was this :

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/RAM7_Cartridge_Hacker

Some french CPCuser said that can send his hardware to make the dump easily with instruccions about how to make it.

Perhaps was Elliot, but I don't remenber exactly who was.

Someone remember more about this.

Xyphoe

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:20, 07 October 10
Sorry, the CPC pic tells a lot. But I don't think they used a speccy port to make a Plus game

I took a look at youtube spectrum version. That look totally different. But it look a lot like Burnin Rubber.

Sorry dude, but the Speccy port has already been established by people who have played it, namely Martyn of Retro Gamer magazine.
There's a link to download the article here - http://gx4000.co.uk/gamebase/games.php?game=specialcriminalinvestigations

I'll write out the choice bit of the article on page 2 for you -

"Like far too many CPC games, Chase HQ II was developed with the Spectrum in mind and then ported across with very little or no effort. In fact, save for its colourful grahpics, which do at least make use of the Plus's expanded colour palette, the game is identical to the Spectrum version in look, feel and execution."

eliot

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:35, 07 October 10
Yes, I've kept the Cartridge Hacker ready... Btw, it's probably as rare as the SCI cartridge itself! (And it really exists!)
http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/RAM7_Cartridge_Hacker
A screenshot of the required Basic program to work with : http://www.amstradcpc.info/cartridge-hacker.bmp

And the tool itself : http://www.amstradcpc.info/cartridge-hacker.dsk

Maybe someone efficient could update the CPCWIKI page with these files. Thanks!

Xyphoe

Quote from: eliot on 08:23, 08 October 10
Yes, I've kept the Cartridge Hacker ready... Btw, it's probably as rare as the SCI cartridge itself! (And it really exists!)
http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/RAM7_Cartridge_Hacker
A screenshot of the required Basic program to work with : http://www.amstradcpc.info/cartridge-hacker.bmp

And the tool itself : http://www.amstradcpc.info/cartridge-hacker.dsk

Maybe someone efficient could update the CPCWIKI page with these files. Thanks!

Awesome!

I take it you've done a test run on another cart and it works?

TFM

Quote from: Xyphoe on 23:43, 07 October 10
Sorry dude, but the Speccy port has already been established by people who have played it, namely Martyn of Retro Gamer magazine.
There's a link to download the article here - http://gx4000.co.uk/gamebase/games.php?game=specialcriminalinvestigations

I'll write out the choice bit of the article on page 2 for you -

"Like far too many CPC games, Chase HQ II was developed with the Spectrum in mind and then ported across with very little or no effort. In fact, save for its colourful grahpics, which do at least make use of the Plus's expanded colour palette, the game is identical to the Spectrum version in look, feel and execution."

Well, I think we're talking about very different things??? I just mentioned the similarity of the engine of Burnin Rubber and Chase H.Q. on the CPC, which makes sense, since the coders are the same (like I think to know, but I'm not completely sure). The speccy version is very different, because it uses another way of displaying gfx on screen. I'm not sure if I got your point... :-[
TFM of FutureSoft

eliot

Quote from: Xyphoe on 09:08, 08 October 10
I take it you've done a test run on another cart and it works?
Yes, it works. No risk to make damage a cart.
But it seems there isn't any new information about the supposed cart... ?  

TFM

Seems that somebody really placed a bid for it :-) Crazy!!! :P
TFM of FutureSoft

andycadley

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:14, 14 October 10
Seems that somebody really placed a bid for it :-) Crazy!!! :P
I'm considering bidding so that we can finally preserve this. Assuming nobody else already is?

ukmarkh

Well... i'm the current crazy bidder! Obviously I'll put up most of my own money, but some peeps on here have also pledged money towards buying it (can you guys that have pledged money confirm this). So if I win, the guys that helped out including Elliot for the transfer hardware will be amongst the first to play the game. If we don't win it, it could end up stockpiled in some collection, and we might never see the light of day of it again. If anyone from the forum is gonna bid on this, just let me know and I'll back off! Don't wanna start a crazy bidding war.

But guys, this is serious... and in less than a month we could all be playing Chase HQ2

robcfg

I was completely serious about my offer, you count with my 20 pounds for the cause  8)

You tell us how you want the money transferred to you.