Philip Oliver Interview - what happened to the AMSTRAD CPC 30 games on 1 CD

Started by cpc4eva, 06:21, 20 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

cpc4eva

Some really interesting behind the scenes information and photos in this interview with Philip Oliver on what happened with the Codemasters 30 games on 1 CD project.....

enjoy :)

Codemasters 30 Games on 1 CD project - The Philip Oliver Interview - Retro

OCT

Quote from: cpc4eva on 06:21, 20 January 16
Some really interesting behind the scenes information and photos in this interview with Philip Oliver on what happened with the Codemasters 30 games on 1 CD project... Codemasters 30 Games on 1 CD project - The Philip Oliver Interview - Retro
Now someone only ought to ask him the crucial question: "Where are the WAVs?!"  :o (or the one leftover piece of inventory to "rip" with their blessing)...

dodogildo

Ahh, remembering Amstrad Action's "Dawn of a New Age" cover :)
That particular dawn never came though. Or I missed it! 

Good one, thnx
M'enfin!

AMSDOS

Don't know about anyone else, but in 1990 we were still listening to music on Cassettes.  :o

I might of being using a Mac Plus at School, though it had a small Monochrome Screen, even the Apple //e looked more impressive with it's Colour Monitor.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

||C|-|E||

I remember reading about this in a Microhobby when I was a kid. My mun and dad had an audio system with CD player since 1988 (heck, they still have the same!) that was sitting next to the CPC. I used to connect the CPC to it because the sound quality was vastly improved, and I thought that it would be great to give the product a try (I guess that I was one of those few with a CD player and an 8 bit computer) but the product never got released. It was quite a shame  :picard: . Of course, my parents never bought me an Amiga and, since I was 8 at the time, there was little I could do about it  :'( .

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: AMSDOS on 09:28, 20 January 16
Don't know about anyone else, but in 1990 we were still listening to music on Cassettes.  :o 

You and me both. I didn't get a CD player until 1996; although I did jump into DVD when they first appeared (and now wish I'd waited - the older parts of my collection are delaminated. :'( ).

Quote from: AMSDOS on 09:28, 20 January 16
I might of being using a Mac Plus at School, though it had a small Monochrome Screen, even the Apple //e looked more impressive with it's Colour Monitor.

Am I the only one who never saw a mac, even in a shop display, until the iMac G3 appeared in the late nineties? It's like Apple didn't exist in North East England until 1998.

dodogildo

M'enfin!

1024MAK

I also didn't get a CD player until well after they became popular (having a ghetto-blaster that worked really well, and I mostly listened to Radio One rather than buying music, as most records were, err records and I didn't have a record deck).
Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 10:50, 20 January 16Am I the only one who never saw a mac, even in a shop display, until the iMac G3 appeared in the late nineties? It's like Apple didn't exist in North East England until 1998.
I'm sure I saw Apple Macs in one store. Had not seen any of the earlier Apple II machines for sale though. I think the price (expensive) was the reason. In the same way that MSDOS machines aimed at businesses were also not seen in store. But should you go to a computer exhibition at the NEC Birmingham, you could not move without seeing all this expensive (to young me) hardware all around you. And they were also in the so called professional computer magazines. I once got such a magazine, it had a card that you could circle numbers on, which related to the adverts. Unknown to me, my mates removed it and filled in my name and address, and circled lots of random numbers. Within a two weeks the postman had so many promotional packs that it took him several minutes each day to post it through the letter box in our door... This went on for for what felt like forever  :laugh:

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

chinnyhill10

Was a completely pointless idea really. A load of mediocre games that are a few years old on a CD. Few people owned CD's and they were bulky things nowhere near the computer.

I recall thinking, "wow games that load in 30 seconds, just like my 6128's disc drive".

Unless you had a home micro with no hope of faster storage (e.g. a Speccy 48k) it was just pointless.

Can you imagine them on the Apprentice?

Codemasters: So we're going to put 30 games on a CD.
Sugar: Who are the target market for your games?
Codemasters: Kids.
Sugar: Do kids have CD players?
Codemasters: Errrrrr.
Sugar: You're fired.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

ivarf

I tried to buy this compilation, to bad I never got the chance.

I thought I was late with CD-players as I bought my first one in 1988. Everyone I knew had CD-players. Buying a disc-drive for my CPC would have been 3 times the price of the CD-player I bought. Amstrad was not cheap in Norway :(

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 10:50, 20 January 16

You and me both. I didn't get a CD player until 1996; although I did jump into DVD when they first appeared (and now wish I'd waited - the older parts of my collection are delaminated. :'( ).

Likewise I paid a mint for my first DVD Player, only because I wanted to play DVDs from other zones.  :laugh:

Quote from: Zoe RobinsonAm I the only one who never saw a mac, even in a shop display, until the iMac G3 appeared in the late nineties? It's like Apple didn't exist in North East England until 1998.

Not sure what the circumstances were like in North East England, I can't remember what year I first laid eyes on a Mac, but it was while I was at Primary School in the 80s.

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

Not only was I a relatively early adapter to CD (1988), but my first CD System was an Amstrad CD1000 which I believe is still in my parents attic. :)

Bryce.

Dinorast

Very interesting and entertaining article-thanks for that. I always thaught its just a myst about this disc

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: AMSDOS on 08:15, 21 January 16
Not sure what the circumstances were like in North East England, I can't remember what year I first laid eyes on a Mac, but it was while I was at Primary School in the 80s.

If you've seen Byker Grove, you've seen what conditions were like in North East England (abysmal).