News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2015: Complete Results and Games

Started by ronaldo, 20:14, 17 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldo

Thank you, @Prodatron. I wan't aware of the exact way in which Z80 is managed by the CPC. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm on the way :D .

I had a look into cpctech and found this link with similar infomation about intruction cycle rounding to microseconds, in english.

I'll have to do an indepth review of all the functions implemented for CPCtelera, but this will help me to optimize them better and give better explanation in the documentation :) .

Thank you, @Prodatron :) .

ervin

ronaldo

Yes, it is :). The Z80_CPC_Timings_cheat_sheet  made by @cpcitor is much clearer and well structured than most websites (Thanks, @cpcitor :D)

Prodatron

Quote from: ronaldo on 14:06, 25 June 15
Thank you, @Prodatron. I wan't aware of the exact way in which Z80 is managed by the CPC. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm on the way :D .
You are welcome, Ronaldo! :)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

ronaldo

Ok, then. I have recalculated times for the memset functions included in latest version of CPCtelera, and this are the results:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|MACRO                | TIME(us) | TIME (VSYNCs) | CODE SIZE (bytes) | INTERRUPTS |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|cpct_clearScreen     |  98331   |    4.924      |       20          |     -      |
|cpct_clearScreen_f8  |  41036   |    2.086      |       45          |  Disabled  |
|cpct_clearScreen_f64 |  33843   |    1.721      |       71          |  Disabled  |

Timings have been checked with WinAPE and results are the same :) .

ronaldo

Time is running, deadline's approaching and #CPCRetroDev 2015 awards ceremony is waiting for you to show the best Amstrad CPC games to the world, and win up to 900€  8)

This year, we will have the honour of counting on very experienced members as jury, comming from famous podcasts, magazines and game development enterprises. All of the members have had close contact with Amstrads and other 8-bit machines since their childhood  :)

You still have more than 2 months to develop your games and participate. Join us and show Amstrad's real potential to the world!  :D

TFM

Hi!

I did take a look at the rules... they say a 464 without expansions. So this means the game has to load from tape, since a drive is an expansion. Right?
On the other hand it must also run on emulators _with_ DOS. Now that's confusing! Can you clarify?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

I guess some MP3 could be used as well to load, lol, this would show those student that old tech can be compatible with newer technologies to great effects (aka faster loading).

Curious to see this year's results.

ronaldo

Quote from: TFM on 22:39, 10 August 15
I did take a look at the rules... they say a 464 without expansions. So this means the game has to load from tape, since a drive is an expansion. Right?
On the other hand it must also run on emulators _with_ DOS. Now that's confusing! Can you clarify?

I'll try to clarify the point. What rules say exactly is this:

Quote from: #CPCRetroDev rules
Games submitted must work on a  real  Amstrad  CPC   464, without expansions. Games must also work on at least one of these emulators:

• WinAPE 2.0. Alpha 18, profile CPC 464 with PARADOS
  • JavaCPC 2.9 with system CPC 464 (AMSDOS)

This is telling you that your game must work on the real machine and, at least, one emulator. The details from emulators are about configuration: they are telling you to test your game with a concrete configuration for the emulator, as different configurations may show different behaviours. They are not telling you that the game must run _with_ DOS.

So, your game doesn't have to relate to a specific DOS, necessarily.

TFM

Ok, so does it need to be a tape game? Or is a disc version accepted?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ronaldo

It does need to be a tape game (a CDT file) because all games submitted to the contest will be included in the tape we will produce, like the tape produced with #CPCRetroDev 2014 games.

You can also submit a DSK along with the CDT if you like, mainly for convenience when evaluating the game on emulators. However, the CDT is the valid one, as it must work on real hardware (otherwise, it couldn't be included in the tape production).

TFM

Thanks for clarifying this. Now even I got it.  :) :) :)

@Devilmarkus : Do you still have that tape loader you made for Cyber Chicken?

TFM of FutureSoft

ervin

Fantastic!!!
Thanks for uploading that ronaldo!

I'm hoping to see my game in this year's presentation!
Fingers crossed!
:)

MacDeath

As I already told : auto-translation is quite... erratic and strange.

Spoken spanish seems to be quite some hard language for computers to understand and translate.  ;D
Could somewhat understands bits via auto-translation in French and in english and natural Latin as a french.

Would be cool if someone could get to put a proper subbed translation in english.
Anyway can't wait for this years edition results.

Great to see those young students trying hard on such old system from another age.

Today you can barely address something with only 64k... :laugh:

EgoTrip

Anybody who enters is guaranteed to not finish in last place, as I have submitted my entry. I know its got a snowball's chance in hell of winning but I don't care. I just want my game on the tape.

Optimus

Quote from: EgoTrip on 19:43, 20 September 15
Anybody who enters is guaranteed to not finish in last place, as I have submitted my entry. I know its got a snowball's chance in hell of winning but I don't care. I just want my game on the tape.

Hmm,. maybe then I should finish and submit mine, which I know I won't be able to complete properly in time and so it will be bad, so that you have a chance for the 2nd last place :)

p.s. I am not even sure yet about how to test with a tape or how to make CDT file. I managed to squish some 128k project to work on 64ks but DSK so far.

ervin

Quote from: EgoTrip on 19:43, 20 September 15

Excellent - really looking forward to seeing your entry!
What was it developed in?

ervin

Quote from: Optimus on 22:06, 20 September 15

Hmm,. maybe then I should finish and submit mine, which I know I won't be able to complete properly in time and so it will be bad, so that you have a chance for the 2nd last place :)

p.s. I am not even sure yet about how to test with a tape or how to make CDT file. I managed to squish some 128k project to work on 64ks but DSK so far.

CPCTelera creates a CDT for you at compilation, and I think it uses an external tool for that.
Not sure what the tool is, but it might be helpful.

ronaldo

@ervin, @Optimus: CPCtelera uses 2CDT by @arnoldemu with some minimal changes. Having one or several binary files, it's quite easy to create a working CDT. Even having the DSK, you may extract files with iDSK and then insert them into CDT with 2CDT :).

Singaja

WinAPE also does the job of extracting from DSK files.

Optimus

Quote from: ronaldo on 07:49, 21 September 15
@ervin, @Optimus: CPCtelera uses 2CDT by @arnoldemu with some minimal changes. Having one or several binary files, it's quite easy to create a working CDT. Even having the DSK, you may extract files with iDSK and then insert them into CDT with 2CDT :) .

Then it might be easy. I can extract with ManageDSK and learn to use the 2CDT tool.
I am developing on SDCC and Pasmo for z80, among other tools.

p.s. I have an engine for the game fairly ready, but no enemy rendering/AI or gameplay yet. I'd wish I have something for the compo, but If I don't make it, at least this compo motivated me to work on some old project, and maybe finish it later next year.

ronaldo

This last weekend I gave a mini workshop to introduce people to CPCtelera, on jdjuanje's youtube channel. It is in spanish, but it may be useful for some of you, so here you are :) .

I start programming at 1:45h. First part is an introduction to the CPC and to the tools CPCtelera has. The idea was to show how to start coding a simple Manic Miner. It finally went up to drawing and moving a character and having a simple menu.

EgoTrip

Any chance of an English version? And maybe a web version instead of a video?

ronaldo

I'm afraid there is no chance, @EgoTrip, unless someone is willing to invest part of his time in translating / subtitling the video. I'd love to do it, but my task list is already larger than my available time. Sorry, man.