News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2015: Complete Results and Games

Started by ronaldo, 20:14, 17 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldo

Well, I think the system will not let you send more than 12MB exaclty. Technically, the only big things are PDF manual and video file. If you are in trouble with the size, convert your PDF or video file to a lower quality one. There is always the possiblity of changing the video afterwards (once contest is finished) for a better quality one if you wanted. That's only for self-promotion purposes of your game as contestant.

mr_lou

Yes, it is the PDF.
We will try reducing the quality.

TFM

Use Acrobat to compress it without loosing quality. If you don't have it. Emal it to me, I will email it back asap.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Entry "Space Rivals" submitted!  :)

It's a 4-player game, which can only have 4 players if you have the MultiPlay device developed by @TotO, which you obviously can't have at this time though, because afaik there's only a prototype available at this point (and we have that).
But it can also be played with 3 players using 2-player adapter and keyboard. As long as you make sure you get a 2-player adapter with diodes to avoid clashes.
Or even just 2 players if you want. But 4 players is of course the most fun.

Yay! Now to celebrate completing this project!  :)

Good luck to everyone!

TFM

Why not sitting two players on the keyboard:

P3: Cursor keys and little Enter

P4:QWAZ and Space

Keyboard to plenty keys. Or offer an option to enter keys?!  :) :) :)

Good luck with the game!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM on 17:25, 22 October 15
Why not sitting two players on the keyboard:

P3: Cursor keys and little Enter

P4:QWAZ and Space

Keyboard to plenty keys. Or offer an option to enter keys?!  :) :) :)

I've been told horror stories about keyboard clashes, so I didn't dare try any of that.
Certainly not allowing people to define their own keys. That would definitely result in clashes.
But as far as I can gather from listening to the experts, using QAOP+space and 2 joysticks at the same time should be safe, so that's what we did.

Singaja

I never thought the actual "default" key schemes (Fruitty Frank pops to my mind) were used to avoid mechanical/electrical key clashes  :o
It's so strongly written in my brain I thought it seemed a natural choice for pc games. Eventually "WSAD" and cursor keys become the more natural choice in Quake era.

cngsoft

(if you can't see the banner right now my server is currently offline)

ervin

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:17, 22 October 15

It's a 4-player game, which can only have 4 players if you have the MultiPlay device developed by @TotO, which you obviously can't have at this time though, because afaik there's only a prototype available at this point (and we have that).
But it can also be played with 3 players using 2-player adapter and keyboard. As long as you make sure you get a 2-player adapter with diodes to avoid clashes.

Good luck to everyone!

Excellent! Congratulations!
Can't wait to try it!

ervin

Quote from: cngsoft on 20:06, 22 October 15
In the nick of time, here's my entry: "Frogalot"

WOW, that looks absolutely stunning!
I'm sure you'll do VERY well in the competition.

Can I ask what it is written in?

I love all this activity in the CPC community lately.
It's been a GREAT year for the scene.

mr_lou

Quote from: ervin on 23:58, 22 October 15
I love all this activity in the CPC community lately.
It's been a GREAT year for the scene.

A lot of new CPC games coming out, and a new Star Wars movie....
2015 will be the best Christmas since childhood.  ;)

reidrac

Congratulations for submitting a game!

I'm still finishing my submission, I suspect I'll have to use up to the last minute :picard:

(that assuming I don't find any really bad bug)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Carnivius

Quote from: cngsoft on 20:06, 22 October 15
In the nick of time, here's my entry: "Frogalot"

Frogalot (preview 20151022) - YouTube

Aw. :)
There have been a lot of frogs in indie games this year.  My mobile game is similar (though without the cool Nebulus style tower rotation you got going on).   Looking forward to playing this one.  Looks fantastic. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

AmstradGamer

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:17, 22 October 15

Good luck to everyone!

Take into account that contest rules state that the game must run on a real 464 without (hardware) expansions. ¿Only 2 players then?

Regards.

mr_lou

Quote from: AmstradGamer on 11:17, 23 October 15
Take into account that contest rules state that the game must run on a real 464 without (hardware) expansions. ¿Only 2 players then?

The word "expansions" makes me think of things like more memory or a harddisk or HxC or MegaFlash etc.

A simple 2-player cable doesn't fall into the "expansion" category to me. If you categorize a 2-player cable as an "expansion" then a joystick must also have to fall into this category... in which case you can't actually play our game at all, because it requires at least 2 players - i.e. one on keyboard + one on joystick, or two on joysticks.

I can understand the MegaPlay being categorized as an expansion though, because it's a more rare piece of hardware withsomewhat advanced components, and it (kinda) gives the CPC new inputs it wasn't born with.
But a 2-player cable (and joysticks for that matter) should fall into the standard accessories category in a game-development contest in my opinion.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the judges say, but I'll definitely be disappointed if they complain about needing a 2-player cable in order to be 3 players.

AmstradGamer

I think that should not be a problem, but I would have asked first to avoid the risk.

Anyway, good luck in the contest!

arnoldemu

Quote from: ervin on 23:58, 22 October 15
WOW, that looks absolutely stunning!
I'm sure you'll do VERY well in the competition.

Can I ask what it is written in?
I'm guessing that it's pure asm.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ronaldo

@mr_lou: Certainly, anything to be considered as "expansion" is something that's not the CPC and a joystick/pad. However, I understand that your game is playable without any expansion (no matter considerations), and It also adds the possiblity of playing 4 players with an expansion. That's not the same as requiring 4 joysticks and a connector to play the game.

The spirit of the rule is twofold: as a constraint for contestants to be on equal conditions when being evaluated, and as a way to ensure the game will be playable for the maximum quantity of people. If your game was impossible to play without extra hardware, that would certainly be a problem. But your game provides extra functionality if you have the hardware, being playable without it. That should be fine most of the time.

ervin

As the deadline for the competition looms, I'd just like to say a few words if I may...

I've IMMENSELY enjoyed creating my game.
It has been a heck of an experience. Very stressful, but very satisfying and hugely enjoyable at the same time.
(Just like a game of Dark Souls)!

BEST WISHES to everyone everywhere that has taken part!
I can't wait to see all the entries!
It looks like there may be some real gems in there!

This will be the best year for the CPC in a long time!
:) :) :)

ronaldo

@ervin: I would give an arm for seeing all the community being as happy as you. Hope that this year is only the first of many enjoyable years to come :D

ervin

Quote from: ronaldo on 13:34, 23 October 15
@ervin: I would give an arm for seeing all the community being as happy as you. Hope that this year is only the first of many enjoyable years to come :D

Thanks @ronaldo for the things you've given to the community this year!
Looking forward to next year's competition already, and watching cpctelera get better and better.
;D

reidrac

Quote from: ervin on 13:57, 23 October 15
Thanks @ronaldo for the things you've given to the community this year!
Looking forward to next year's competition already, and watching cpctelera get better and better.
;D

Yes, I agree. The competition is a great incentive to get people making new games, and that alone is great; but besides the cpctelera it'll be a complete game changer (no pun intended).

I'm new here, but I'm having a blast programming for the CPC so I guess I'll stay ;)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

mr_lou

Apologies if this is already described somewhere.

Is there a link published already to the online stream?

(Asking in order to give a heads up to our own little private forum members).

ronaldo

@mr_lou: Yes, there is, but it is not published yet on the #CPCRetroDev main website. It is published only on our complete retro event, Retroconsolas Alicante 2015 (#RCA2015)
It will be on twitter as well as on #CPCRetroDev frontpage next week :)

reidrac

I did it! Just submitted Space Pest Control CPC Reto Dev edition! :)

I plays really nice on the CPC!

Juan op Twitter: "yes! Space Pest Control is GOLD! #amstrad cpc #cpcretrodev