#CPCRetroDev 2016 has started: Over 1000€ in prizes and special awards

Started by ronaldo, 22:16, 18 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Yes, a great version. Frogger was also based on a Konami Z80 + AY.
An arcade emulation was fine too, so I don't know if he had "steel" the original routines or redone all.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

"The game uses two Z80 microprocessors and two AY-3-8910 PSGs for sound." Not sure how feasible it would be to emulate it?

To be exact:

Main CPU : Zilog Z80 (@ 3.072 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Zilog Z80 (@ 1.789772 Mhz)
Sound Chips : (2x) General Instrument AY8910 (@ 1.789772 Mhz), (6x) RC (@ 1.789772 Mhz)

EgoTrip

The game looks simple enough, except for the scrolling. Can the CPC do it that well?

reidrac

Quote from: EgoTrip on 12:41, 25 May 16
The game looks simple enough, except for the scrolling. Can the CPC do it that well?

The bg is solid, only the clouds (things floating around) move. You don't need masked sprites for that (although you'll need them for everything else).

Not sure if the playing area could be that large, but I think it would be doable.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:45, 25 May 16To be exact:

Sound Chips : (2x) General Instrument AY8910 (@ 1.789772 Mhz)

Sure, I know that. But I think it is not a real problem.
In arcade, multi-CPU are mainly used because each of them access its dedicated ROM, not because power is required...
Loading from a floppy and using the CPC expansion RAM bank switching should resolve that with only one CPU.

About the 2x AY and the rasters display, the PlayCity can perfectly do the arcade job.
Else, yes some channels will be cut to ear others...

Finally, there is no scrolling if you remove the clouds as the ship is always at the center. ;D
That means, only sprites are moving around it and masking should be not required.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

arnoldemu

Quote from: TotO on 13:42, 25 May 16

In arcade, multi-CPU are mainly used because each of them access its dedicated ROM, not because power is required...
Loading from a floppy and using the CPC expansion RAM bank switching should resolve that with only one CPU.

About the 2x AY and the rasters display, the PlayCity can perfectly do the arcade job.

Finally, there is no scrolling if you remove the clouds as the ship is always at the center. ;D
That means, only sprites are moving around it and masking should be not required.
So... when will you have finished it?
;D
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Quote from: TotO on 13:42, 25 May 16

That's it, I'm announcing your new release as a pack-in for PlayCity :D

TotO

Hahaha... Better to stop here the Off-Topic.  :laugh:

ronaldo

Hi all!

Today we can confirm great news for all Amstrad developers and fans. Philip Oliver has confirmed that he and his brother Andrew will be jury for #CPCRetroDev 2016. The Oliver Twins will be judging the entries, give written feedback to all participants and will also be present here, at the University of Alicante, to hand awards to winners in person. Moreover, they will also give a presentation and be available for signing games. That will be next 5th of November, during RetroConsolas Alicante 2016.

You will find all the details at #CPCRetroDev website.

Hope you enjoy this news as much as we do!  :D

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:45, 25 May 16
"The game uses two Z80 microprocessors and two AY-3-8910 PSGs for sound." Not sure how feasible it would be to emulate it?
To be exact:
Sound Chips : (2x) General Instrument AY8910 (@ 1.789772 Mhz), (6x) RC (@ 1.789772 Mhz)

Ok, sound will probably use up around 10% of the CPU time, maybe 15%. So one Z80 should be enough. And for the two AY's we got TotO's nice PlayCity.  :)

(I'm more concerned about the way the background scrolls, there seem to be two levels, but I may be wrong).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

AMSDOS

Quote from: ronaldo on 18:22, 20 June 16

I could of been lead to believe that photo of them from 1983 was really 1963!  :o
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Hi all!

Today we can confirm great news for all Amstrad developers and fans. Philip Oliver has confirmed that he and his brother Andrew will be jury for #CPCRetroDev 2016. The Oliver Twins will be judging the entries, give written feedback to all participants and will also be present here, at the University of Alicante, to hand awards to winners in person. Moreover, they will also give a presentation and be available for signing games. That will be next 5th of November, during RetroConsolas Alicante 2016.

Intriguing news for sure!! Very very interesting... 

Arnaud

It's great to see the interest of veteran game developper about this contest.

I really hope there will be a lot of entries for CpcRetroDev 2016.

Axelay

Hi all!

Incredible news!