News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Eight Bit Magazine

Started by CPCOxygen, 13:35, 12 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

CPCOxygen

As many of you will probably know from the posts on various facebook pages I'm working on the Kickstarter project to produce a magazine for 8 bit computers. Currently the project is 26% backed just going into it's 3rd day. The magazine will have articles on programming, hardware projects as well as gaming so it will be very different than something like Retro Gamer for example. I'm thinking somewhere between WACCI and Amstrad Action. Overall the contributors will decide the overall feel of the magazine.

I would like to ask if others like to supply articles for future issues and to ask people here what they would like to see in the magazine. Don't just say "CPC content"  ;D

To check out the kickstarter project click here:

Eight Bit Magazine (8 bit retro computer magazine) by John Kavanagh —

Thanks,

John

Eight Bit Magazine The Number One Magazine for the 8-Bits.

Retro Format New Games - Old Hardware.

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: CPCOxygen on 13:35, 12 March 16
I would like to ask if others like to supply articles for future issues and to ask people here what they would like to see in the magazine. Don't just say "CPC content"  ;D

This sounds fun. I was a fan of both WACCI and AA back when they were running, so I'll be interested to see how this goes.

I have a few article ideas for you:

1. A course on making your first game with CPCTelera (I don't know how many issues that would take but I can see it being quite popular)
2. A discussion of the various differences and similarities between the 8-bits. Less of a "mine's better than yours" thing that plagues the scene but instead a focus on how each machine approached the same issues (TV output, sound, graphic output, etc)
3. Reviews of the latest games coming out for the various systems. We've got a fair few new ones these days and it would be good to know which ones to try out (and where to find them).

Good luck with the project, I hope it works out well.

CPCOxygen

All three sound excellent  :)  Exactly how I was thinking too. Cheers.

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 14:06, 12 March 16

This sounds fun. I was a fan of both WACCI and AA back when they were running, so I'll be interested to see how this goes.

1. A course on making your first game with CPCTelera (I don't know how many issues that would take but I can see it being quite popular)
2. A discussion of the various differences and similarities between the 8-bits. Less of a "mine's better than yours" thing that plagues the scene but instead a focus on how each machine approached the same issues (TV output, sound, graphic output, etc)
3. Reviews of the latest games coming out for the various systems. We've got a fair few new ones these days and it would be good to know which ones to try out (and where to find them).

Good luck with the project, I hope it works out well.

sigh

Is it 8 bit home computing only or does it include consoles too?

I would like to see a section of various artworks created using the graphical restrictions of an 8 bit machine. Pixelart created using the CPC/C64/Spectrum or MSX palette.
Also - a section on developing sound effects and music on the various 8 bit machines.

It could be "making an explosion sound" with showing how the effect is created on the CPC, C64 and Spectrum. This would show the different methods on each machine, on how to achieve the sound effect.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 14:06, 12 March 16

2 of those 3 suggestions are normally carried out on the Wiki and as for your second point, how is a person supposed to read whats printed on the side of a Key, when learning to read the character at the top of a key?  ???
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

jbaudrand

Just translate theses excellents magazine to english:
http://www.amstrad.es/publicaciones/publicaciones/rua/index.html

In France we have "Coté Gamer" that have Amstrad programming tuts (only three issues at the moment), made by Kukulcan
Magazine Généraliste - Côté Gamers

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: AMSDOS on 22:47, 12 March 16

2 of those 3 suggestions are normally carried out on the Wiki and as for your second point, how is a person supposed to read whats printed on the side of a Key, when learning to read the character at the top of a key?  ???

I'm not sure if you're making a joke here.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 20:40, 13 March 16

I'm not sure if you're making a joke here.

Well I had a look through the CPCTelera material which is online thinking there was some Tutorial Guide for it, but all I could find was a reference manual, which just leaves the CPCTelera posts on the forum, which is in a mess anyway because so many New Topics have been started on that Library. A magazine at least can put some order into it with a series to guide someone through it, though because it's C language, examples would tend to take up space, which is where a webpage has an advantage.

I think Reviews of new programs has become a touchy touchy subject and just seems better to announce them, which is what the Wiki does, and let people decide for themselves.

As for the differences between machines, I've never seen an article which doesn't take pot shots at other machines.

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

So your post was, basically, "I don't think it'll work so I'll just take the piss"? Lovely. Thanks for that.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 23:40, 13 March 16
So your post was, basically, "I don't think it'll work so I'll just take the piss"? Lovely. Thanks for that.

Well no, a tutorial would be good, but I'm just looking at issue of space. When AA was coming to a close they were still doing Assembly guides, but were able to put their source code on their Covertape which would work, though I guess this Eight Bit Magazine would have to have some sort of Cover bounded media, for that to work.

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

Covertapes are unnecessary these days for things like that. The source code can be made available on the magazine's website, if space is a problem.

mr_lou

It would be real retro though.....

Optimus

I like the idea (because I love retro paper magazines) and I backed.
There was also Skrolli on indiegogo I think which seems very interesting.

Gryzor

Ah, good that you announced that here :) Gonna back it, good luck!!

TFM

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 10:09, 14 March 16
Covertapes are unnecessary these days for things like that. The source code can be made available on the magazine's website, if space is a problem.

Ok, so you are *already* on this website, right?

EDIT: It's great to have things on a website instead of typing them in (well, ok, fun for some too, why not?). And it's great to have a paper copy too. But honestly if I'm visiting a webpage, then I don't need the paper copy for the same thing. Just my opinion.
And I won't quote on offensive / trolling comments here, just saying.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: TFM on 19:23, 14 March 16
Ok, so you are *already* on this website, right?

No. You seem to be missing the point, and I have a feeling you're doing it deliberately.

villain

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 20:18, 14 March 16

No. You seem to be missing the point, and I have a feeling you're doing it deliberately.

I have an upcoming déjà-vu...  ;)

At the end of such articles there could be a QR-code, linking to the download of a listing. In this case it would be an useful combination between old technology (print) and modern technology.

EgoTrip

QR codes are awesome, they should be more widely used IMO.

CraigsBar

The CPC telera tutorial would be awesome. Believe it or not (@AMSDOS, @TFM) we are not all full competent coders here, having never progressed from locomotive basic myself, having found assembler too intimidating, a tutorial on the new tools for coding on the retro platforms would be awesome. I am looking forward to this project for this content alone.

Backed :)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

seanb

Even though I don't know the first thing about coding I do like reading about it and I would like to know more about how to use cpctelera so a tutorial is a fantastic idea to me.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

AMSDOS

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:58, 14 March 16
The CPC telera tutorial would be awesome. Believe it or not (@AMSDOS, @TFM) we are not all full competent coders here, having never progressed from locomotive basic myself, having found assembler too intimidating, a tutorial on the new tools for coding on the retro platforms would be awesome. I am looking forward to this project for this content alone.

Backed :)

Wasn't suggesting otherwise, but CPCTelera is a C Based Library, so example code may take up some space due to the nature. The good news is the Library wouldn't need to be published in the Magazine, so it can simply tackle with the commands. Before the tutorial gets to that point though, it probably needs a guide for installing the Library as people have vented their frustrations on the Forum about it, though I did notice something like that on their site, though it seems to be more complex as people have different things happening on their system.

As for being competent coder, my programs/routines speak for themselves, even when I look over my Pascal code, I can see in places where I could of made it better. My Assembly only exists from understanding "LD" instructions well, I've used Loops (which I still need to reference from Books to obtain the appropriate one) and some Math Instructions, the rest of it is relying on Firmware.

Your Computer Programs

Manu

The magazine seems promising... BACKED! :D

CPCOxygen

Thanks to everybody for the support. Five days in and we're more than 60 percent backed. To answer a few questions:

The magazine will be for 8 bit computers only.

I like the idea of using QR codes.

Skrolli look great. Similar to what we want to do with EBM.

Bryce

Quote from: CPCOxygen on 12:58, 15 March 16
Thanks to everybody for the support. Five days in and we're more than 60 percent backed. To answer a few questions:

The magazine will be for 8 bit computers only.

I like the idea of using QR codes.

Skrolli look great. Similar to what we want to do with EBM.

How about a covertape that contains a QR Code as an amstrad picture file! Load the tape, scan the code! :D

Bryce.

ronaldo

As many people say, QR-codes are a very good idea to implement. However, I'd suggest including listings in the magazine (or, at least, the more important ones). Take into account that websites tend to disappear over time. Magazines can last way longer than websites, and they will be left pointing to a desappeared site. So, I'd suggest including the more important lists in-print, so that people will always have that listings, even if websites disappear in the future.

Anyways, I love QR-codes and consider them a good idea, be it as a digital copy of the listings, or as a "more listings here".