News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Eight Bit Magazine

Started by CPCOxygen, 13:35, 12 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

QR codes can hold 2000 bytes of data.
That's a tiny demo or very simple binary game right there, but how to get that into a CPC??
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:14, 15 March 16
That's a tiny demo or very simple binary game right there, but how to get that into a CPC??

Sounds like there's the first type-in for the new magazine: a QR-to-machine code converter! :D

Bryce

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:14, 15 March 16

Ooooo, project idea.... QR Code reader for the CPC :)

Bryce.

villain

Quote from: ronaldo on 13:55, 15 March 16
Take into account that websites tend to disappear over time. Magazines can last way longer than websites, and they will be left pointing to a desappeared site. So, I'd suggest including the more important lists in-print, so that people will always have that listings, even if websites disappear in the future.

I think nobody would mind if those CPC-related listings would be preserved also here. Maybe the original site dissapears one day, but I'm quite sure that someone who is really interested in a few years would find his way to the wiki. You could also include this information in the mag...

mr_lou

Quote from: ronaldo on 13:55, 15 March 16
As many people say, QR-codes are a very good idea to implement. However, I'd suggest including listings in the magazine (or, at least, the more important ones). Take into account that websites tend to disappear over time. Magazines can last way longer than websites, and they will be left pointing to a desappeared site. So, I'd suggest including the more important lists in-print, so that people will always have that listings, even if websites disappear in the future.

Quote from: villain on 15:30, 15 March 16
I think nobody would mind if those CPC-related listings would be preserved also here. Maybe the original site dissapears one day, but I'm quite sure that someone who is really interested in a few years would find his way to the wiki. You could also include this information in the mag...

My problem with the web is also that sites tend to disappear.
My suggestion is that all listings gets an identifier of some sort, for example something as simple as a number... e.g. "<Magazinename> listing 378", so that all listings may be found "just online" - not on any particular site, but "just online" - simply by Googling for it. And anyone who wish to host the listings should be allowed to do so.

The QR code could be the Google search call.

ivarf

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:11, 15 March 16
My problem with the web is also that sites tend to disappear.
I will never forget Malc Jennings and how he just left the CPC-scene after for years running the main CPC site. No one got the chance to take over and keep it running. Luckily Gryzor started another site. But unfortunately much webcontent and forum discussions were lost forever.

I can't even remember the name of the site anymore. Anyone?

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:58, 14 March 16
The CPC telera tutorial would be awesome. Believe it or not (@AMSDOS, @TFM) we are not all full competent coders here, having never progressed from locomotive basic myself, having found assembler too intimidating, a tutorial on the new tools for coding on the retro platforms would be awesome. I am looking forward to this project for this content alone.

Backed :)

Absolutely, especially CPCtelera would deserve it.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

tastefulmrship

Quote from: ivarf on 17:25, 15 March 16
I can't even remember the name of the site anymore. Anyone?

ivarf

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 18:32, 15 March 16

Thanks, is that an old screen grab from the site? I got nothing  but advertisements when I just tried it

tastefulmrship

Quote from: ivarf on 18:44, 15 March 16
Thanks, is that an old screen grab from the site? I got nothing  but advertisements when I just tried it
Yeah, it's an olde screenie. I was proud of the ACU Type-In project ervin, Johnny Olsen and I completed.

Gryzor

QR codes? For the love of the gods... I always hated QR codes, even as a marketer myself. And in this case, totally useless. Take my phone out to take a photo to get me the link to share it via email so I can check it out on my PC? Yeah, no thanks. better have a short url or something in there and be done with it.

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:19, 16 March 16
QR codes? For the love of the gods... I always hated QR codes, even as a marketer myself. And in this case, totally useless. Take my phone out to take a photo to get me the link to share it via email so I can check it out on my PC? Yeah, no thanks. better have a short url or something in there and be done with it.

Not a huge fan of QR codes here either.
But the "short url" you talk about, could be an identifier. E.g. "MagNameListing378". Should be easy to remember and easy to type into Google. Much more dynamic, less static, lives longer.

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:36, 16 March 16
Not a huge fan of QR codes here either.
But the "short url" you talk about, could be an identifier. E.g. "MagNameListing378". Should be easy to remember and easy to type into Google. Much more dynamic, less static, lives longer.

Oh, very true, plus there are lots of free scripts out there to create short urls anyhow if you don't want to have URLs limited by that.

AMSDOS

Personally I reckon a Jumpdrive or SD Card on the front cover would do nicely. An 8Gb Drive is dirt cheap, you'd get a whole tutorial on it, along with the whole Magazine (for those with eBooks or Tablets), no Downloads (or viruses) to worry about, no internet pages disappearing, purchaser pays for something that is only available from the product itself, so every computer could have their own section with selection of programs (public domain) on that media.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Axelay

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:34, 17 March 16
Personally I reckon a Jumpdrive or SD Card on the front cover would do nicely. .... no Downloads (or viruses) to worry about

Unless you have any centrifuges kicking about, I guess?  ;)

On topic, this looks interesting, how many different 8 bits were aiming to be covered?  I'm just remembering that I quickly went off the multiformat mags as their coverage was very much split along UK market share lines leaving not much on the CPC.

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:40, 16 March 16

Oh, very true, plus there are lots of free scripts out there to create short urls anyhow if you don't want to have URLs limited by that.

The problem with Short URLs is that they die. I created a couple as a test a few years ago on dft.ba and now they are all inaccessible because the site died. Some of my Google short links still work, but it's only a matter of time before they drop out, too (and if you don't think Google will eventually disappear, you probably weren't around when Yahoo! and AltaVista were vying for the top spot).

A keyword for each listing would be far longer-lasting than a short url; which is what I think @mr_lou was talking about. It doesn't matter how old a book is, as long as it has an ISBN you can find that exact edition and the same would be true for a listing marked with an identifier.

Gryzor

I assumed the links would point to the magazine's server - so if the site died, it died, short urls or not...

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:49, 17 March 16
I assumed the links would point to the magazine's server - so if the site died, it died, short urls or not...

Yes, that's true. However, if each listing has a keyword/code associated with it (eg "8bit listing 12") then it can be looked up in any search engine, the same way that a specific book can be looked up from its ISBN. Thus any website hosting information about it in the future would be found based on that keyword.

It's the same way that by running a search for "Amstrad Action Action Pack 12" I can pull up details about what was on that specific tape even though AA is long since gone.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Axelay on 11:20, 17 March 16

Unless you have any centrifuges kicking about, I guess?  ;)

Don't understand. Would of thought a SD card bundled with Magazine would be favourable, back in the day when AA was going I guess a Tape was easier to duplicate, around 10-15 years ago magazines were bundled with CDs/DVDs, and even when AA was still going, something like an Amiga or Atari St magazine had floppy disks, which I just presumed would have been harder to duplicate on mass.

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: AMSDOS on 22:25, 17 March 16

Don't understand.

I think this was a joke about the Stuxnet virus.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 00:07, 18 March 16

I think this was a joke about the Stuxnet virus.

It's possible I guess that if you were in the business of copying for the purpose of mass distribution, a hacker is going to try and get in and compromise your system, which is just sheer evil.

Your Computer Programs

Bryce

Quote from: AMSDOS on 01:03, 18 March 16

It's possible I guess that if you were in the business of copying for the purpose of mass distribution, a hacker is going to try and get in and compromise your system, which is just sheer evil.

Yeah, imagine the worldwide political havoc you could cause by getting your virus on to an isolated 80's 8-bit computer! :D I doubt the card would be high on hackers priority list.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 22:05, 18 March 16
Yeah, imagine the worldwide political havoc you could cause by getting your virus on to an isolated 80's 8-bit computer! :D I doubt the card would be high on hackers priority list.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

Well I'm just looking at it from what the company does POV and distributing bad content which could potentially fall onto many systems and do all kinds of damage the CPC wouldn't be considered a target.

Your Computer Programs

Mattdev

What an excellent idea.  Just pledged and signed up.  Look forward to the magazine.   :)

TFM

Quote from: AMSDOS on 03:24, 19 March 16
Well I'm just looking at it from what the company does POV and distributing bad content which could potentially fall onto many systems and do all kinds of damage the CPC wouldn't be considered a target.

Never mind, I think you got a valid point. There was a CPC virus before, so yes, there is a potential thread. And as we know some CPC emulators can take over the PC from CPC side and f.e. write to the hard disc, and, and, and...
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus