News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Eight Bit Magazine

Started by CPCOxygen, 13:35, 12 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

CPCOxygen

Just a heads up letting everyone know there is still 18 days left to back the Eight Bit Magazine project. See here:

8-Bit Magazine (Amstrad, Atari, Apple, Commodore, Sinclair) by John Kavanagh —

So far there's general retro articles, Commodore 64, Apple 2 and Amstrad CPC related stuff. Strangely Spectrum articles are lacking as nobody submitted anything. I'm trying to get a good balance but it's not easy, even with 60 pages  ;)

If anyone want to submit articles or stuff for me to review or even just a news story please contact me at cpcoxygen (gmail-com)  If it don't make issue 1 it will make issue 2. I would love to get in contact with someone willing to write a game programming series for the CPC. If anyone interested please contact me and we discuss..... emmmm rewards.....  ;D

Thanks to everyone who have supported the magazine so far, from those who offered advice and good wishes, to those who backed the project and to those who submitted content, thank you all.

John

[Edit - changed your email to prevent harvesting by spambots... - Gryzor]
Eight Bit Magazine The Number One Magazine for the 8-Bits.

Retro Format New Games - Old Hardware.

TFM

Hi John,

Can you tell how much CPC stuff will be in it? How is it biased? From the title picture I assume it's having the commodore computers as hot spot. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just asking out of curiosity.  :)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CPCOxygen

Quote from: TFM on 16:15, 21 April 16
Hi John,

Can you tell how much CPC stuff will be in it? How is it biased? From the title picture I assume it's having the commodore computers as hot spot. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just asking out of curiosity.  :)

Most articles in this issue are of general interest. The main feature article this issue is the Commodore 64. In issue two it'll be the CPC and in Issue 3 something else. The magazine aim to cover content for all 8-bit computers.

Examples of article in this issue:

Commodore 64, cover feature exploring the technical abilities of the Commodore 64
Genesis - article about the beginning of home computers up to the 8-bits

A article about a computer made in Yugoslavia in the 1980's
40th Anniversary of Apple (covering the 8-bits)
Assembly programming (covering the Z80 and 6502/6510)
Hardware Reviews (covering Amstrad CPC and Commodore 64)
Game Reviews (so far CPC, C64 and Spectrum)
A few extra bits and pieces

In issue two I want to cover the Amstrad CPC, so if anyone wants to contribute to that they are welcome, for example a FutureOS segment maybe ;-)
I would also like to get an assembly programming series done, basically hand holding the reader from BASIC to creating a game in Assembly.
Would also like to cover hardware reviews as they come, yes, finally an excuse to purchase loads of hardware ;-)
Also game reviews for different platforms etc.

The magazine might be more biased towards one platform over the other in a issue but generally we try to balance it out and to also cover general 8-bit contents. Even less popular 8 bits will get covered time to time, e.g. Memotech MTX.

Hope that answers your question?

TFM

Sounds like a well thought concept!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CPCOxygen

Issue 2 of Eight Bit Magazine is now a live project on Kickstarter:  :o 

Click here to view it:  8-bit Magazine Issue 2 (Amstrad, Commodore, Sinclair & more) by John Kavanagh

Also since this is a tips and tricks special please PM me here or on our Facebook page to submit your tip or trick. It can be a programming trick, useful or fun or a hardware trick, and yes, the best few tips and tricks deserves free issues in the post  :D

Gryzor

Ooh, backing this tonight! Really enjoyed the feel of #1. But please, please, do some serious editing and proofreading before printing!

Skunkfish

Tips & tricks?! What happened to our CPC lead feature article?  :D

Backed! (need to keep an eye on the competition!)
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

||C|-|E||

CPCOxygen

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:46, 17 August 16
Ooh, backing this tonight! Really enjoyed the feel of #1. But please, please, do some serious editing and proofreading before printing!

Yes I got the right person for the job. She can spot errors while blindfolded and stuffed in a cement mixer - she's that good! :P

CPCOxygen

Quote from: Skunkfish on 09:02, 17 August 16
Tips & tricks?! What happened to our CPC lead feature article?  :D

Backed! (need to keep an eye on the competition!)

Issue 3, a great big photo of the CPC on the cover to the horror of everybody else  ;D  Speaking of which, do anyone have a good photo to use for the cover of Issue 3? Especially a 664 :-) If not I'll have to do some serious photo editing to make my 464 look shiny and new :-)

It's great to see the competition backing each other :-)

||C|-|E||

If you need professional pictures of the Amstrad range I could make some...  :) The problem is that here, in UK, I only have a 464 Plus and a 6128 Plus  :picard:

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: CPCOxygenYes I got the right person for the job. She can spot errors while blindfolded and stuffed in a cement mixer - she's that good! :P

This is not how you're supposed to conduct job interviews!

Gryzor

It's a real pity we don't have great, studio and professional quality photos of the CPC range... Such a shame.

CPCOxygen

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:14, 18 August 16
It's a real pity we don't have great, studio and professional quality photos of the CPC range... Such a shame.

We could see who produces the best photo of a 464, 664 or 6128 and offer a prize?  ;D

zeropolis79

Oh I'll just give a camera to my niece and get her to photograph my 6128 and 6128 Plus... she's a professional

seanb

Quote from: CPCOxygen on 18:24, 19 August 16

We could see who produces the best photo of a 464, 664 or 6128 and offer a prize?  ;D

Dr logo disk.
There's enough of them around.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

||C|-|E||

Yesterday I received the issue 2. I was a great read and I enjoyed it a lot  :D .  Thank you so much for the more than generous review of our adventure!  :D

Looking forward to the Issue 3!

P.D: by the way, I will be in Spain for a couple of weeks in January, where the vast majority of my Amstrad collection is. Do you still need high quality pictures of the computers? I have all the models over there with their original color screens (including a 472). The only missing one is the 664. They are normal Amstrads, no Schneiders, sorry  :-X

reidrac

Cool, cool. Looking forward to receive my copy. Just in time for Christmas!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

villain

I really enjoyed the 2nd issue, even if there are some typos etc. in it. Thanks!

reidrac

Still waiting to receive mine :( I hope it didn't get lost!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

CPCOxygen

Give it another few days, if you don't receive it by then let me know.

Quote from: reidrac on 11:29, 30 December 16
Still waiting to receive mine :( I hope it didn't get lost!

CPCOxygen

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 13:06, 22 December 16
Yesterday I received the issue 2. I was a great read and I enjoyed it a lot  :D .  Thank you so much for the more than generous review of our adventure!  :D

Looking forward to the Issue 3!

P.D: by the way, I will be in Spain for a couple of weeks in January, where the vast majority of my Amstrad collection is. Do you still need high quality pictures of the computers? I have all the models over there with their original color screens (including a 472). The only missing one is the 664. They are normal Amstrads, no Schneiders, sorry  :-X

Glad you enjoyed issue 2. The review was fair, totally enjoyable. If it was bad I would have said so, in a nice way of course  :)

We received a few photos of a 464 which looked great, but more a certainly welcome, especially the 6128. If anyone has a 664 we would love avoid photo.

All photos submitted will remain the property of the person who took the photo and the person supplied it will receive a thank you printed in the magazine if they wish.

Morri

Received issue 2 all the way in New Zealand in between the Christmas / New Year break. Excellent read.
I especially enjoyed the programming comparisons between the different computers.
I will be investing in future issues for sure!  :)
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

reidrac

Quote from: CPCOxygen on 21:26, 31 December 16

Give it another few days, if you don't receive it by then let me know.

Yep, got it today! Thanks!