News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

History of Ocean book on Kickstarter

Started by Gryzor, 18:27, 02 December 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Yeah... the CPC always draws the short straw, which is a shame, especially when retro people are involved in such a project.

Oh well, I was an early Kickstarter backer nonetheless.

Shaun M. Neary

Anyone received theirs yet? Last I heard, the aim was to get them out for late November.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

TotO

Nothing. No mail about shipping too.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Shaun M. Neary

I emailed about a month ago (to Chris' credit, he mailed back pretty promptly) to chase it up.
Basically it took longer than expected to track everyone down to interview, and late November was the expected date.

Maybe early/mid December?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

I *think* it was moved to late December, however I think one of his updates showed some printed books?

[EDIT] Ah no, but he's got a proof: The History of Ocean Software by Retro Fusion by Chris Wilkins » A flick

Shaun M. Neary

Hah, early January for me then, postal service in Ireland is woeful during christmas period.

Might make it in time for my birthday though :D

Gryzor

New update: The History of Ocean Software by Retro Fusion by Chris Wilkins » The Book —

He's got the books from the printer, got the boxes, started shipping them next week :)

Shaun M. Neary

Yup! Got the mail yesterday. Just in time for Christmas and all :D
Last time I got something with that Ocean logo on the cover at Christmas time was back in 1990! :D

Gryzor

Hah! Good point! :D Though eBay has filled in that blank for me :)

boyo

So - thanks for your patience guys. I did speak to John Brandwood but he was a little to busy with life to take part. Mark Jones Jnr was interviewed who did the graphics for Gryzor, Arkanoid and Renegade. I also interviewed Simon Cobb who coded Hunchback 2 for the Amstrad and Street Hawk.

There is a nice break out box of what Jon Woods and Dave Ward thought of Alan Sugar and Amstrad as they were involved in the launch of the console with Burnin' Rubber. There are references to Amstrad in the book and screens where appropriate - like an image of the Amstrad version of Cabal by Jim Bagley, Chase HQ (best version) graphics by Bill Harbison, Miami Vice Loading screen by Dawn Drake etc - so the Amstrad is a big part of the Ocean story.

Gryzor

Got to say, the PDF looks ace, though I haven't read it - waiting for the print version to drop in the mail. I'm old-school like that :D

ralferoo

Looks nice from the flip book at least... :)

Shaun M. Neary

No PDF for me as I narrowly fell short of the kickstarter end date. :(

Dying for the print copy to arrive though. :)

Gryzor

Damn, it didn't arrive before New Year's. Oh well, something to look forward to...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:06, 31 December 13
Damn, it didn't arrive before New Year's. Oh well, something to look forward to...
It has seven days to make it to me for my birthday! :D

Shaun M. Neary

Aaaaand mine just arrived here in Dublin, Ireland!

Gryzor

Just in time for your birthday then :)

Shaun M. Neary

Good read so far. I dunno why I thought it would come with a download as well. Would have liked to continue reading it without taking it with me and risking damaging it.

BUT GET THIS...

My wife, who is a business teacher also wants to have a read of it, to read of the company's history, starting up, buying out other companies, budgets back then etc. :D

Gryzor

Got it past week,looks excellent. Can't wait to finish my current book!

@Shaun: the best retro-related books are also great business books. Get her On the Edge, the Commodore book - exquisitely balanced.

TFM

Does somebody has a link to the content of the book (inventory or so) to be able to see what's actually in it?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Here you go:

[attachimg=1]

TFM

Thanks mate! You are better than an encyclopedia  ;) 
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Well, an encyclopaedia doesn't have screen capture capabilities :D

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

dlfrsilver

i have bought the ocean history book in PDF format. The main annoying thing is that the book is mainly focused on the C64 and the spectrum.

Sorry to say it, but those 2 computers have done a flop (Amstrad has killed those 2 computers in the french market). The CPC got a furious celebrity here, and to be honest the ZX spectrum sold in France in 150.000 pieces.

Just to give you the selling numbers just in France, 1.200.000 Amstrad CPC were sold here.

The C64 has been suicided by the CPC too in France ahah......

Other than that, it's pleasant to read :)