News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
N

QuickCMD v1.0 released !

Started by norecess, 18:50, 21 June 11

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess

QuickCMD is a shell-based user interface running on top of the system. Its aim is to provide a faster way to launch programs. The idea actually came from a fact about my own usage of a CPC : most of the times, I turn on my computer to only execute CAT/RUN commands. I thought there were rooms to improve that process...

http://www.norecess.net/

redbox

Great stuff, thanks!

Was just thinking today about something like this to sit on top of AMSDOS and now you've written one  :)

CPCLER

Great little tool  :D

Quote from: norecess on 18:50, 21 June 11
QuickCMD is a shell-based user interface running on top of the system. Its aim is to provide a faster way to launch programs. The idea actually came from a fact about my own usage of a CPC : most of the times, I turn on my computer to only execute CAT/RUN commands. I thought there were rooms to improve that process...

Gryzor

What you say! This is really great...

Ygdrazil

Will the source be public for this nice little frontend! There are some tricks I would love to dig into. Otherwise very nice and clean little tool  :)

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: norecess on 18:50, 21 June 11

norecess

Thank you for your first reception. It's appreciated !  :)

QuoteWill the source be public for this nice little frontend!

Yeah, I will release the sources in next version. It's a mix of C and ASM code, built using Phactory and making use of SDCC2Pasmo! :) (find more info on my website)
QuoteThere are some tricks I would love to dig into.
I think the ability to launch (execute) BASIC files directly from a BINARY is the most interesting part ; this trick has been explained to me by our friend arnoldemu. The other great thing is the "autostart" feature (like emulator do at startup to autorun a program), once again provided by arnoldemu. I will write an article about it sooner or later on my website!

Otherwise, it's just standard calls to the system.

Ygdrazil

Excellent so there will be a next version :-)

A suggestion for improvement is a bypass the autoexecute |QCMD when booting... This could be done by checking to see if the eg. spacebar has beem pressed while booting (&bb09) and if so then simply quit the ems init :-)

Just a suggestion!

Anyway i look forward to the next version

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: norecess on 11:51, 22 June 11

Yeah, I will release the sources in next version. It's a mix of C and ASM code, built using Phactory and making use of SDCC2Pasmo! :) (find more info on my website)I think the ability to launch (execute) BASIC files directly from a BINARY is the most interesting part ; this trick has been explained to me by our friend arnoldemu. The other great thing is the "autostart" feature (like emulator do at startup to autorun a program), once again provided by arnoldemu. I will write an article about it sooner or later on my website!

Otherwise, it's just standard calls to the system.

norecess

Yeah it's not a one-shot, the source is quite clean and maintainable, and there is enough memory space for major improvements. I wished to distribute V1.0 as it was mature enough for public release.

Ythcal

Really nice idea and well thought-out.

But please get rid of that useless backslash! Just because M$DOS used it there is no need to copy that piece of junk, as there are no subfolders in AMSDOS.

A:USER0>
or maybe even
A:0>
really should do it

:)

norecess

I liked the fact to consider USER as FOLDERs. And who knows what future could bring, it could be useful to get move into directories, one day... (HxC in mind)

norecess

PS. for the ones who missed it :

- if you have an RSX called DAMS you don't have to type RSX DS but simply DS
- if you want to quick exit from QuickCMD to BASIC, juste press 2 times the ESC key (faster than typing BASIC command)

RUN and RSX commands are "layers", they actually do execute a program and a RSX in case of name conflicts.
Cf. if you have a RSX called HELP, but that HELP is already an internal command of QuickCMD, RSX HELP allow to force execution of the RSX called HELP.
Cf. if you have a file on disc called HELP and want to execute it, just type RUN HELP

Ythcal

I am not against the User#. But they are no subfolders of each other.

If subfolders are needed/possible someday, slashes (I would prefer slashes like in Unix, Amiga Shell, CP/M(!), not backslashes) are very welcome, but what is the use of that starting backslash beside making the prompt longer?

norecess

Well, I wished to respect the convention already in place with HxC Floppy Emulator Manager (for the slash) but of course, it can be changed. Let's say if this is the only thing that bothers you with the software, I'm quite happy like that  :D

Ythcal

yep, I have nothing more to criticize at the moment ;)

I just don't like copying elements from other systems, even if they have no sense in the new form.

CPCLER

I see what you mean  :D

But QCMD is such a cute little tool with great potential, maybe in the future also the IDE8255 will be supported and the folder are needed, but i prefere the unix way!

Quote from: Ythcal on 15:17, 22 June 11
Really nice idea and well thought-out.

But please get rid of that useless backslash! Just because M$DOS used it there is no need to copy that piece of junk, as there are no subfolders in AMSDOS.

A:USER0>
or maybe even
A:0>
really should do it

:)

MiguelSky

Quote from: norecess on 15:57, 22 June 11I liked the fact to consider USER as FOLDERs. And who knows what future could bring, it could be useful to get move into directories, one day... (HxC in mind)
And BonnyDOS too !! I was thinking about in overriding the ,"" too (not only the pipe |) in the parameters of the BonnyDOS commands:

|CD,"/GAMES/ARKANOID" could be CD /GAMES/ARKANOID :)

I'll give a try to see compatibility problems and I will report them.

Really nice tool, good job :)

norecess

@MiquelSky There is no reason why it should not work.  :)

MiguelSky

Doesn't work. It can't see my C drive :( But with A worked great !!

norecess

Just to make sure, ... do you expect QuickCMD to write C: prompt for you ?

Otherwise, is there a way to test your RSX under emulator ?

Thank you for testing btw  :D

MiguelSky

Well, if you type C it says "No drive" :D

When I start CPC, BonnyDOS autolog the C drive. You know BonnyDOS patches the AMSDOS calls. When I try a disc command a System failure (from BonnyDOS, I think) message is shown or CPC hangs.

BonnyDOS doesn't recognize the HDD in the emulators.

norecess

Then I will check around the RSX command. I know sometimes I myself experienced some issues (RSX not launchable, message "Bad Command") but it was not 100% reproducible.

norecess

You were right. I double-check the RSX handling and found out that if launched without any parameters, the behavior was completely unpredictable ! So it's fixed on my side, and should on yours for next release.
Thank you a million for your bug report ! :)

MiguelSky

norecess

PM me your private email; I will send you a version so that way you will be able to test it on your side.
Thank you

HAL6128

Quote from: norecess on 20:11, 24 June 11
You were right. I double-check the RSX handling and found out that if launched without any parameters, the behavior was completely unpredictable ! So it's fixed on my side, and should on yours for next release.
Thank you a million for your bug report ! :)

...had the same problem with BonnyDOS. "No Drive" inside QCMD. Both ROMs doesen't work in some way together?? If I press during booting "ESC" the RSX-Command |QCMD doesen't start automatically. I wrote the command |PART then all my partition appears in normal way on screen. Then I wrote |QMCD, then two times "ESC" to return to Basic, then |PART (nothing happens) or |C ("no drive").
By the way: Very nice tool for quick handling!
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX