News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ReSeT #8 Party

Started by eliot, 11:58, 05 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnivius

Quote from: TotO on 11:12, 02 July 12
The 464 look like a big toy. 6128 look professional.

The 464 has character and charm, the 664 has style, the 6128 just looks like the CPC that had all the fun drained from it.

I wish my laptop had the various green, red and blue keys of the 464.  Computers are so boring these days.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Bryce

Quote from: Carnivac on 12:08, 02 July 12
The 464 has character and charm, the 664 has style, the 6128 just looks like the CPC that had all the fun drained from it.

I wish my laptop had the various green, red and blue keys of the 464.  Computers are so boring these days.

You need to trade that laptop in for an..... NC200 ! :D

Bryce.

TotO

Quote from: Carnivac on 12:08, 02 July 12
I prefert to have fun with CPC by using it instead of looking it.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Carnivius

Quote from: TotO on 14:11, 02 July 12
I prefert to have fun with CPC by using it instead of looking it.  ;D

That's how I feel about a games console  I tend to prefer the console to be black and non-distracting as it spends it's time under the TV, away from me and not sticking out so much (Most of my 200+ PS3 games are digital versions downloaded from PSN so I don't even often have to go the console to swap discs much at all as they're on the 640GB hard drive with only a few discs on my shelf that aren't yet available as a download).  The joypad is pretty much all I interact with.    A computer on the other hand is more a direct hands-on thing so I actually like to have an appealing keyboard that I'll be typing on so much and often looking at while I'm typing (I can touch type but I often find myself kinda staring at the keyboard while I'm thinking of some message or post to type). 

I'm still wondering if I can take some of these laptop keys off and paint them to match the 464.  Wouldn't know how to accurately paint the words back on though. 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 12:18, 02 July 12

Bryce.

Was gonna say that. Lovely little machine.

Carnivius

Quote from: Bryce on 12:18, 02 July 12

Bryce.

Didn't know what that was but after looking at it on Wikipedia it looks kinda cool but I'd have absolutely no use for it, even back when it was first released.

robcfg

Well, you can stare at the NC200 while you work with your CPC6128...  ;D

Executioner

Quote from: Carnivac on 14:18, 02 July 12
(Most of my 200+ PS3 games are digital versions downloaded from PSN so I don't even often have to go the console to swap discs much at all as they're on the 640GB hard drive with only a few discs on my shelf that aren't yet available as a download).

I generally find I can buy the games much cheaper on disc than they are on PSN, although I have recently subscribed to PS+ since there are now quite a few freebies (technically paid for by the subscription, but cheap). btw, Anyone here interested, my PSN ID is Executioner0, but please mention CPCWiki so I know who you are.

Carnivius

Quote from: Executioner on 05:29, 03 July 12
I generally find I can buy the games much cheaper on disc than they are on PSN, although I have recently subscribed to PS+ since there are now quite a few freebies (technically paid for by the subscription, but cheap). btw, Anyone here interested, my PSN ID is Executioner0, but please mention CPCWiki so I know who you are.

[spoiler]
I don't mind paying a bit extra at times for the download for the conveinence of it all (especially since I take my PS3 with me to friends houses when I stay over and it's great having the games just there on the system instead of packing discs too, and besides I don't live near any games shows and downloading is faster than ordering off play.com) and have sold off most of my discs and bought the download versions instead.  Just hoping they put Uncharted 3 on PSN cos my disc seems to be having a bit of trouble lately possibly from overuse (it's almost always in that blu ray drive as it's my fave game and I play it very often).  They've just put the first two on PSN this week (which I will replace my discs with when I can afford, I bought Ratchet & Clank HD Trilogy instead cos I didn't already own those and I love the previous PS3 games & never got to play the PS2 ones so this is perfect).
I've been a PS+ subscriber for over a year and even before that amazing June deal (so many big games for free, and I had been waiting for inFamous 2 to drop from £49.99 to a more affordable price, never thought they'd make it free though, was so happy  :) ) I worked out it had more than paid for itself many times over in discounts and freebies and that's just the games I actually liked too.  I didn't even count other freebies of games I didn't care for such as Tomb Raider Underworld.  I can't remember when the last time was that I actually had to spend a lot of money on a game.

[/s]

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I had both a 464 and a 6128. The 464 looked great, the colours were cheerful. The only real fault was the cursor key cluster - but still way better than those computers that had them all in a row!

The 6128 fixed the cursor key cluster - at the cost of ramming the numeric pad up against the main keyboard like some 15" laptops do these days.

The 664 had that lovely blue for the keyboard, but again the cursor keys weren't arranged the best.

I think the 464 represents the CPC to the average person who remembers 80s computers. The 6128 was drab in comparison, but Amstrad were trying to make it appear more professional to parents buying computers for their children to do homework on.

Amstrad should have upped the 464 to 128KB in ~1987 when they did the hardware revision then (as well as reducing the height of the system to match the 6128). It would have provided a new baseline configuration to code against, and encouraged people to buy 64KB expansions for their older CPCs. I guess the impetus wasn't there when the machines were selling well, and a lot of effort went on the Spectrum computers :-(

TFM

Why to convert a 464 into a 6128, when the 6128 already exists? And in 1987 nobody wanted to deal with tapes anylonger.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

QuoteAnd in 1987 nobody wanted to deal with tapes anylonger.
yeay, in France and im VaterLand...

but the Brits were a lot into it, so were the Spainischenz... Also 464 was  quite cheaper.

still, it really should have been upgraded into 4128 somewhere like 1986-1987 at worse...

would have helped a lot the whole game industry.
Double bugffering* would have been the norm.

*pun.

ralferoo

Quote from: Briggsy on 18:17, 03 July 12
The 6128 fixed the cursor key cluster
It did? Personally, I prefer the star shape of the 464 cursor keys. Interestingly, the original IBM which overlaid cursor keys on the numeric pad also had this shape too (cursors on 8,4,6,2).

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: ralferoo on 09:58, 04 July 12
It did? Personally, I prefer the star shape of the 464 cursor keys. Interestingly, the original IBM which overlaid cursor keys on the numeric pad also had this shape too (cursors on 8,4,6,2).

The inverted-T configuration is a far better match for your fingers than the +/diamond configuration. Hence WASD instead of WAXD. Your middle finger is slightly longer, so it can reach up to hit the up cursor, but reaching down isn't so comfortable.

TFM

Absolutely right, an if someone plays a game for a while with cursors, then this person will totally agree with you :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: ralferoo on 09:58, 04 July 12
It's why, all computers change this keyboard mapping since...
You know, in 70s computers are made for... computing. Nothing was made to be ergonomic.
This poor layout was kept on PC numpad for historical compatibility only, that all.

But, I understand that big case with Lego key, tape drive, half megabit of memory and prehistorical keyboard layout was always the best for enjoying the nostalgia... Please, continue to use it for playing old 80s games and open a thread just for that ! (so I will no more going here to read stuff that was not ReSeT #8 releated)

The only think that I'm nostalgic on 80s was the fact that there is no Internet.
So, peoples that have nothing to say, can't speak. Others can share the knowlage through interesting magazine.

In ReSeT, I only see and spoke with interesting peoples. A real CPC comunity.
Peoples that doing new stuff on a old computer to keep it alive.

Thanks to them and long live to the ReSeT !

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Quote from: TotO on 08:36, 05 July 12

The only think that I'm nostalgic on 80s was the fact that there is no Internet.

You mean you didn't have a Minitel terminal? It's you, the Frenchies, that started it all, so stop complaining :D

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:50, 05 July 12
You mean you didn't have a Minitel terminal? It's you, the Frenchies, that started it all, so stop complaining :D
3615 ULLA ?  ;D
Minitel stop in France this week... We can now use Internet.
What about a great website with all CPC stuff on it ?  :-\

Go to the ReSeT, next year !!!

Gryzor

Ah yes, read about that, a pity really!

On the other hand, welcome to the 21st century! Just don't visit a site called "facebook.com". I hear sex was much easier on Minitel.

Also, fantastic idea about the CPC website, will get right to it!

MaV

Quote from: TotO on 09:59, 05 July 12
Go to the ReSeT, next year !!!
Yes, a few more non-French CPC enthusiasts would greatly benefit the community. See what the French community is up to and exchange ideas. Meet people in person rather than reading posts on the 'net.

I've been asking myself why no English frequent the party? Geographically, Coutances is very close to England and especially people from Kent, London up to Cornwall can easily take a ferry to one of the coastal towns in Normandy or Brittany and then go by bus or train.
Even the weather is the same, you'll feel right at home. ;)
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

fano

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:50, 05 July 12
Only used for 3615 AMCHARGE !
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

MacDeath

Yeah, you had to pay for every minutes, so it wasn't the online MMO gaming orgy it could have been.

Bryce

Considering the speed of Minitel, I doubt it was the connection price that held back the MMO gaming orgy :D

Bryce.

ralferoo

Quote from: MaV on 10:31, 05 July 12
I've been asking myself why no English frequent the party? Geographically, Coutances is very close to England and especially people from Kent, London up to Cornwall can easily take a ferry to one of the coastal towns in Normandy or Brittany and then go by bus or train.
Even the weather is the same, you'll feel right at home. ;)
I wanted to go, but it was just far too expensive. Even though it's geographically close, the easiest way for me to get there would be to drive to Portsmouth and back (about £90 return for me), then pay ferry (cheapest I found was £190, the only "convenient" times cost £230), plus a bit more driving on the other side. Compared to somewhere further away, like Evoke which is £120 return flight, £4 for train to/from airport and about £30 in trains from Dusseldorf to Cologne). The flight option is obviously a lot quicker too.

I did really want to go, but it was apparent that even booking a few months in advance wasn't enough to get a sensibly priced ferry, so it was never really an option.

fano

Anyway MMO gaming is evil  >:( that prevents regular programming  :'(
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !