News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ReSeT #8 Party

Started by eliot, 11:58, 05 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

beaker

Quote from: MaV on 10:31, 05 July 12
I've been asking myself why no English frequent the party?

An aversion to good food and wine maybe? You could try offer some pasties and deep fried mars bars next year as a snack and see if that attracts anymore English people?  ;)

MacDeath

QuoteI've been asking myself why no English frequent the party?
Colour clashes and Tapes are the answers.

because thay use Tapes, it took them too long to come, hence too late...

Carnivius

Quote from: beaker on 14:20, 05 July 12
deep fried mars bars next year as a snack and see if that attracts anymore English people?  ;)

Deep fried mars bars are associated with the scottish.  The english generally find deep frying a chocolate bar a very strange thing.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Sykobee (Briggsy)

We get as far as the Auchan in Calais, then suddenly have a very heavy car that must return home ASAP. And soon after that we're in no fit state to drive.

ralferoo

Oh, that reminds me of a French joke about why Belgians don't drive in the UK... something about driving to the ferry, seeing a sign for "Pas de Calais" and turning back... *groan*

beaker

Quote from: Carnivac on 15:01, 05 July 12
The english generally find deep frying a chocolate bar a very strange thing.

What!?! You should take a more liberal outlook to life...  :laugh:  We (a group of Southerners) were introducing them to my friends' Asian wife back in May in Australia when we found a chippy in Noosa that sold them...

OK,  curry to line our stomachs, a crate of Smirnoffs, some straws so we can neck them down in under 10 seconds, followed later by a dodgy kebab?  :P

Carnivius

Quote from: beaker on 16:41, 05 July 12
OK,  curry to line our stomachs, a crate of Smirnoffs, some straws so we can neck them down in under 10 seconds, followed later by a dodgy kebab?  :P

Now that sounds fine to most englishmen.  Not to me though.  But then I don't drink, and I dislike pubs and football and being lazy... So I've no right being called english at all apparently.  So people say, anyways.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

beaker

Completely agree with the drinking part but then again I've never been able to hold my grog  :laugh:

MaV

Quote from: ralferoo on 13:16, 05 July 12
I wanted to go, but it was just far too expensive. Even though it's geographically close, the easiest way for me to get there would be to drive to Portsmouth and back (about £90 return for me), then pay ferry (cheapest I found was £190, the only "convenient" times cost £230), plus a bit more driving on the other side. Compared to somewhere further away, like Evoke which is £120 return flight, £4 for train to/from airport and about £30 in trains from Dusseldorf to Cologne). The flight option is obviously a lot quicker too.
Uff. I was expection much lower prices for the ferries. Thanks for the info! I planned to visit England next year just after the Reset, and a ferry sounded like the right solution (I'd have liked to come this year but Olympia foiled my plans).

Taking a plane (Heathrow - Paris) then a TGV to Caen + TER to Coutances will be cheaper. I'll check our train expenses from this year's visit and let you know. As for the car, you don't need to bring your own CPC, eliot can provide some for you at the party.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

MaV

Quote from: beaker on 14:20, 05 July 12
An aversion to good food and wine maybe? You could try offer some pasties and deep fried mars bars next year as a snack and see if that attracts anymore English people?  ;)
How about: I'll provide a barrel of lard and a pan to fry all dishes that'll be served? ;)

OTOH, quiche might just tickle the palates of our fellow English CPC enthusiasts. :D (I prefer everything else to it, but my wife likes it.)

edit: barrel of lard ... ahem, I haven't had much experience with cockney, so take the phrase literally. :D

Bryce

You could always consider the Chunnel, their prices are better than the ferries sometimes.

Bryce.

Carnivius

Quote from: MaV on 12:12, 06 July 12
How about: I'll provide a barrel of lard and a pan to fry all dishes that'll be served? ;)

OTOH, quiche might just tickle the palates of our fellow English CPC enthusiasts. :D (I prefer everything else to it, but my wife likes it.)

edit: barrel of lard ... ahem, I haven't had much experience with cockney, so take the phrase literally. :D

A barrel of lard?   A barrel?  Ain't that a huge amount of lard?  I'm still not even quite sure what lard is or what it's purpose is.  I've never bought any.

And I think you guys better actually ask english folk what they like rather than trying to come up with some inaccurate and somewhat strange suggestions.  I'm partial to steak and chips myself or a large meat feast pizza.

MaV

Quote from: Carnivac on 12:25, 06 July 12
And I think you guys better actually ask english folk what they like rather than trying to come up with some inaccurate and somewhat strange suggestions.  I'm partial to steak and chips myself or a large meat feast pizza.
You can fry with lard (pig fat). Anyway, this was meant to complement the topic about frying mars bars, and the smileys should have made clear not to take it serious.

Anyway, I'm not the organiser, but I think eliot is open to suggestions.

Carnivius

Quote from: MaV on 12:35, 06 July 12
You can fry with lard (pig fat). Anyway, this was meant to complement the topic about frying mars bars, and the smileys should have made clear not to take it serious.

Anyway, I'm not the organiser, but I think eliot is open to suggestions.

I wasn't taking it seriously.  I was just bewildered by some of the comments.

ralferoo

Quote from: MaV on 12:04, 06 July 12
Uff. I was expection much lower prices for the ferries. Thanks for the info! I planned to visit England next year just after the Reset, and a ferry sounded like the right solution (I'd have liked to come this year but Olympia foiled my plans).

Taking a plane (Heathrow - Paris) then a TGV to Caen + TER to Coutances will be cheaper. I'll check our train expenses from this year's visit and let you know. As for the car, you don't need to bring your own CPC, eliot can provide some for you at the party.
Calais to Dover return is the popular option, and so usually much cheaper, however it's still around £90 without a deal and the extra driving would have easily consumed most of the money savings, especially as I believe there's a €20 toll road just out of Calais.

There was a headline rate of £90 for a 5-day return from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, but there seemed to be no way of finding out what days the deal was available on as the price was only displayed at the very end of the process and to change dates you have to restart completely. Perhaps with enough foreplanning, this might work for next year, although I first checked the ferry times about 2.5 months before the party and it was expensive then too...

I was thinking about flying to CDG, but discounted it because the journey within France lookes quite long by train, but perhaps that's a good option to look at again for next year.

arnoldemu

I would like to go but  price is one problem.

for me going via the chunnel is not a great choice, because it is a long drive to get there, it would have to be flying from our local airport (leeds-bradford).

Ok, so us English may not be physically there, but we can continue to send remote entries :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

beaker

Quote from: MaV on 12:12, 06 July 12

Only 1 barrel of lard!?! That'll just about do one Full English Breakfast, at a push the Toad In The Hole for dinner I guess... and doesn't the event go on for a couple more days?!?! Don't forget a couple of cases of brown sauce to drown the breakfast in as well  :laugh:

lol, my mate calls quiches, "eggy pies". I like them as well - the one I am currently making my way through has sweet red peppers and artichoke hearts as a topping. Nice  :P

Quote from: Carnivac on 12:39, 06 July 12
I wasn't taking it seriously.  I was just bewildered by some of the comments.

lol, just trying to back up the stereotype that English/British people like bland or wierd food... Personally I reckon you can't beat spam and mint sauce sandwiches  ;D

tastefulmrship

Thinking of lard, have they lifted the ban on LARDY CAKE at Tesco yet? I used to love the heart-attack feeling you'd get from eating a true, British Lardy Cake... washed down with Bird's Custard! Yum yum!

(Oh, yeah... derailed another ReSeT#8 thread! Great job! ^_^)

beaker

mmm Lardy Cake... proper stodge!  :)
No idea, never had it myself but they sell different things in Ireland's Tesco's to the UK ones. It's once in a blue moon I can get Ginsters Pasties/Sausage Rolls over here (Ireland) for example.

MaV

Quote from: ralferoo on 13:18, 06 July 12
I was thinking about flying to CDG, but discounted it because the journey within France lookes quite long by train, but perhaps that's a good option to look at again for next year.
So, I was discussing the possible routes and prices with my wife.

The best connection after landing in Paris seems to be:
TGV: Paris CDG - Rennes (~ 2h30min) and then TER Rennes - Coutances ( ~1h50min)
Add to that having to wait for the train in CDG (could easily be 1 hour) and in Rennes (say another 1h) and you'll be over 6 hours.
If you book ~2 months in advance that route will cost you about 80-100 € (there and back). :/ Add to that the flight from London to Paris and it might not look as good as it seemed to me at first. Then again, you won't have to pay attention to the road all the time.

Back to the ferry option ... if you leave your car at home, how much cheaper will it get (if at all)?

I should be lucky that my wife is happy to plan our holidays around such events.

MaV

Quote from: beaker on 15:48, 06 July 12
mint sauce sandwiches  ;D
Now that would be an instant winner with me! :D

You do realise that I've scribbled down all the "suggestions" for personal (ab-)use for our trip to England next year. ^_^

MacDeath

QuoteLardy Cake
:o
OMG, not sure if want, I would prefer Bacon chocolate pancakes...

British Bacon-Omelette sandwiches are top tier in my personnal book though.

Bryce

And we haven't started to mention such traditional delicacies as "Jellied Eels" or "Scotch Eggs" :D They make any foreigner think twice about what they order.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Lard... wtf. I mean, I have tremendous amounts of suspicion for any cuisine that uses animal fat to cook. "Can I have the nuke-an-artery special please? "Well certainly sir, here you go, barrel of lard with complimentary pint of lard. Knock yourself out".

Yes, can be tasty (on occasion!), but if you have the slightest respect for your body (and I'm not even a vegetarian or anything) you'd steer well clear of that...

Ok, I think this thread has been thoroughly derailed. Back on topic?

Executioner

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:30, 07 July 12
Lard... wtf. I mean, I have tremendous amounts of suspicion for any cuisine that uses animal fat to cook. "Can I have the nuke-an-artery special please? "Well certainly sir, here you go, barrel of lard with complimentary pint of lard. Knock yourself out".

According to a local chippy owner, the most important thing is the correct temperature and lard is able to be heated sufficiently so as to cook the food without soaking in. Olive oil is actually carcinogenic at those high temperatures.