News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Revision 2019 - April 19th to 22nd

Started by toms, 20:44, 06 January 19

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

I xill inform peoples about that... If we are not too bad, and if Metr don't come into this day.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

tastefulmrship

- Oldskool Graphics -

ozan - Revision Kids - Amiga OCS
Titus/Rabenauge - Smoking - C64
Rahow/Apex - Robot Distress - Amiga OCS
tsukamoto - otakuism - Amiga AGA
orresborre/TAONGAD - Revision Man - NES
Hammerfist - No Sollicitors - C64
beb/Vanity - Brutal Deluxe - CPC-6128
FadeOne/Abyss - Enter The Abyss - Amiga ECS (1st place)
farfar - See - C64
Facet - King For A Day - Amiga OCS (3rd place)
Exocet - Life And Death Of A Gnome - Amiga OCS
Made/Bomb - The Eye - Amiga (2nd place)
LMan - Cyberbird - C64

EDIT: Also, is it me or, do the C64 entries (msx, demo, gfx) this year seem to move up & down... even if they're not using interlacing? The other formats (8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit) seem fine and are static!

tastefulmrship

"All of that for a fucking invite?!?!?!"
- Subi, a few minutes ago!

TotO

I'm not OK for "Enter the Abys", because looking the intermediate work, we have not seen how the face, hair and jacked was drawn.
Zooming on it, the pixel work is not fantastic and looks like transfered pictures to low colour/resolutions. (how to is part of the contest)

For the real work provided, I prefert:
1- KING FOR A DAY BY FACET
2- THE EYE BY MADE / BOMB (but I don't like the idea)
3- BRUTAL DELUXE BY BEB / VANITY-

Now... How to comptet 4 colours 8-bit (using rasters) VS 32 colours 16-bit without any technical acheivement?

EDIT: It is a shame that graphics shown into a demo can compete on gfx compo too... (second time)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: TotO on 17:32, 21 April 19
I'm not OK for "Enter the Abys", because looking the intermediate work, we have not seen how the face, hair and jacked was drawn.
Zooming on it, the pixel work is not fantastic and looks like transfered pictures to low colour/resolutions. (how to is part of the contest)
That's fair enough! But, I know a lot about FadeOne's work in the past (I've recoloured a number of them! ^_^) and it looks good enough for me to assume it's all his own pixelling!

However, even if not, and his work needs to be disqualified, I would still put "orresborre/TAONGAD - Revision Man" as 3rd place. I like the idea of a superhero with a beer-gut (I guess I identify with him! ^_^) However, like all things, it's a subjective view!

TotO

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 17:46, 21 April 19However, even if not, and his work needs to be disqualified, I would still put "orresborre/TAONGAD - Revision Man" as 3rd place. I like the idea of a superhero with a beer-gut (I guess I identify with him! ^_^) However, like all things, it's a subjective view!
Sure, really funny picture!  :)  (many peoples looks like here now)

tastefulmrship

- Oldskool 4Kb Intro -

Viscid - Time To Get Ill (A DIP Into Space) - Atari 2600 with 32b DIP switches
jK - Hard Waves - Atari 2600 with 32b DIP switches
LFT - Little Dipper - Atari 2600 with 32b DIP switches
Jasmine68k - Harte32 - Atari 2600 with 32b DIP switches
K2 - Tres Monos - Commodore VIC-20 (3rd place)
Lethargy - 4k PETSCII reMETA Intro - C64 new SID
Citavia - No Neo (No Party!) - Neo GeoCD (2nd place)
Loonies - Don't be square - Amiga 500
Vanity - The Third Kind - Amstrad CPC-6128
SerzhSoft+Gasman - Megademica - ZX Spectrum & AY-chip (1st! AAMMIIGGAAHH!)

XeNoMoRPH

Where is ...  beb/Vanity - Brutal Deluxe - CPC-6128  - for download ?  :o
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

tastefulmrship

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 19:07, 21 April 19
Where is ...  beb/Vanity - Brutal Deluxe - CPC-6128  - for download ?  :o
All of the Oldskool Graphics (including that one) can be downloaded here - https://files.scene.org/browse/parties/2019/revision19/oldskool-graphics/

tastefulmrship

@RaFT/TRSI
You HAVE to get that GAME/WATCH game working on CPC! ^_^

P.S. Amazing 8k demo, fella! Top work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYUlmpXlo5k

MaV

They're late for the prize giving ceremony, as always.
Let's hope for the best, however I fear the remake demos for the Mega Drive and SNES will probably win in Oldskool, because reasons ...
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

krusty_benediction

Quote from: MaV on 10:18, 22 April 19
They're late for the prize giving ceremony, as always.
Let's hope for the best, however I fear the remake demos for the Mega Drive and SNES will probably win in Oldskool, because reasons ...
finbally, what is the result for the CPC prods ? I've seen on pouet that the 4k is ranked 3rd. What about the demos on gfx ?

MaV

Quote from: krusty_benediction on 12:13, 22 April 19finbally, what is the result for the CPC prods ? I've seen on pouet that the 4k is ranked 3rd. What about the demos on gfx ?
The Third Kind by Vanity was 3rd, yes.
Octopus pocus made only the 6th place, unfortunately, Overlander's demo did not make it into the first seven places (only seven are shown on screen during the ceremony), and Brutal Deluxe was also 6th (or thereabouts). :(

Targhan

Hey, back from Revision, happy but exhausted!

Hicks and Beb demo was 3rd for 4k Old School, which was unexpected because there was some serious competitor. So I could receive the award with them, woohoo :).
Tom's demo had a very good reception when it was screened, but the result (6th) was a disappointment. Oh well, we'll survive :).

Anyway, a really great party, really nice guys (and girls!), a lot of cool talking, and interesting prods (though PC demos (no limitations) were not very interesting).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

As for Madram's demo, I can't pronounce on what we saw because it was not fully finished (it should be in a week, according to its author. The introduction was missing from the stream). The demo is very very technical, so technical that the video recorder of the Revision couldn't grasp the data correctly, resulting in annoying visual artifacts. Basically, no one (including myself) really understood what was going on, and the demo felt kinda rushed, so we predicted it wouldn't make it in the final result. Such is the hard world of party and demomaking...
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Prodatron

Congratulation for Hicks and Beb and you!!  :) :)
Revision 2019 was so fantastic again! :) Great to meet you again! And I am looking forward to our photo session :P

Quote from: Targhan on 22:33, 22 April 19As for Madram's demo, I can't pronounce on what we saw because it was not fully finished (it should be in a week, according to its author. The introduction was missing from the stream). The demo is very very technical, so technical that the video recorder of the Revision couldn't grasp the data correctly, resulting in annoying visual artifacts. Basically, no one (including myself) really understood what was going on, and the demo felt kinda rushed, so we predicted it wouldn't make it in the final result. Such is the hard world of party and demomaking...
Cool to hear, that the final version will be even better! :)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

roudoudou

Quote from: Targhan on 22:33, 22 April 19
As for Madram's demo, I can't pronounce on what we saw because it was not fully finished (it should be in a week, according to its author. The introduction was missing from the stream). The demo is very very technical, so technical that the video recorder of the Revision couldn't grasp the data correctly, resulting in annoying visual artifacts. Basically, no one (including myself) really understood what was going on, and the demo felt kinda rushed, so we predicted it wouldn't make it in the final result. Such is the hard world of party and demomaking...
Was the dots clean on bigscreen? Because on the live stream they said bigscreen was 50Hz and lossless capture whereas twitch streaming was 60fps and on the fly encoding -> THEY KILL THE ENCODER!!!
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Targhan

QuoteWas the dots clean on bigscreen? Because on the live stream they said bigscreen was 50Hz and lossless capture whereas twitch streaming was 60fps and on the fly encoding -> THEY KILL THE ENCODER!!!

I don't remember exactly, all my memories of this demo are fuzzy :). But I guess the dots were OK.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

MacDeath

Greetings..

congrat for Vanity's 3rd place in Oldschool 4k, the 2 other winners were worthy opponents too.
>> speccy entry was huge and in two parts (just like last year's winner... can I see a trend?), but didn't look great due to being speccy  ::) , but a lot of "video".
>> the Amiga entry was nice and cute.

Concerning oldskool Demo :  some results feel strange...

>> the Titan entrie is ... a port from an old ST demo on a superior system ? ok it contains some additional original stuff (great pixelised logos, good music) but still... but titan is well liked by public.
>> the speccy brexit one wasn't that good demowise and basically is a humouristic win. Fair enough this happens a lot (oh Hi Kevin !) and shows that story telling is quite a huge part to win this award.

Still the CPC entries were perhaps too short and not refined enough, were good technically though but had close to no story telling, were too abstract.
While technical demos can be good on exotic and rarely seen machines, CPC is a mature format that really need to tell a story... that's what The Third Kind did and it did well, being also "technical" as it could bring a lot of graphic content in 4k on CPC.

= Again the great C64 alliance with 4+ groups managed to produce a well refined product that fits the audience's taste. No surprise, no big deal.
Amstrad Scene cannot compete in the "collaboration" production department.

Oldskool graphics :
Really hard to compete against the cohort of Amiga graphics... can't they have their own category here too ? Last year Beb was quite lucky to manage a 3rd place but this is rare occurence and this year felt a bit higher level on the amiga/C64 side than last year.
Also those graphics extracted from concuring demos, not "original" content made especially for the graphic contest... as usual it brings some questions.
While limited hardware can be a bonus in Demo, here the Amiga is basically low-rez modern graphics and the machine with less constraint is the more appreciated, also they have a harddon for C64 palette and don't like "vivid colours"... perhaps some PLUS entries with tricks may work as they would not be too far from Amiga-like rendering.

Yeah I shouldn'tt tell all that because i'm just a sofascener...  ;D
Hope you guys had fun, can't wait for proper reports and more photos.

norecess464

Yep, I second @MacDeath .

A bit disappointed by Titan prod, it's not fair to make a demo based on data from another demo (this is NOT a remake). That contest on Pouet was supposed to be a challenge for programmers..
This year I have been enjoying a lot the Amiga OCS demos.. amazing job from TBL (the girl converting to 3D, this is just marvelous) and TheDeadliners/Lemon/Oxygene prod.
The Amstrad demos were technically top-notch, but I think they pushed too far their unconventional style.
I will wait for final version of @madram demo to get a definitive opinion.
Overall - I can guarantee you that sofa-scening is both practical and frustrating!!  ;)
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

MaV

Well, here's my résumé (agreeing mostly with MacDeath and norecess):
The C64 demo was alright and polished, but reading the list of participants I was left with the impression that the C64 guys are beginning to feel the heat, and thus were in need to get together to accomplish something. Their motto was also an indication "We're not coming in peace."
With the MegaDrive demo copying an existing ST demo, I had to ask myself if the guys are running out of creative ideas. It's well done, but left a bitter taste in my mouth. It was fun once with the "Second Reality" offshoots but gets old really quickly. The execution was good, I have to admit. (Wasn't there another one on the SNES, or am I making things up?)

I'm getting pissed off at the graphics which are reused from a demo. This cheap grab at prizes is not always obvious at first sight, because said compos are sometimes even on two different days, but I try to downvote such by at least one star. The question is should others go along and join the trend? If it isn't regulated by the organisers in the future I would say "YES!" make a demo and relase the graphics to the graphics compo! Fight them with their own weapons!

I don't think they'll ever split up the graphics compos into Amiga and 8 bit computers, simply because there aren't so many entries in the category as a whole.

And, well, the Kevin demos successfully subverted the PC demo category for the second time.

Highlights:
A very cool rubber cube in octopus pocus.
A deserved 3rd place for the third kind. That was quite a lot to pack into 4k!
Two Amiga 500 demos winning over all the AGA entries (and rightfully so)! That was very satisfying to watch.
A JS/WebGL demo winning in the PC 4k category.

MaV (sofascener with a license to vote ;) No, really, usually I'm buying a ticket even if I'm not coming to Saarbrücken! )

MacDeath

Yep, it was a private contest to port the same ST demo on SNES and SMD and they released it there.
It's as if someone would release some Bad Apple port at revision and win a prize with it  IMHO...

pro tip : a Demo made by 20+ dudes would get a large pool of points just with the votes of the makers.

I guess next year we should make a Speccyport of "The Brexecutable Music Compo Is Over" and call it a day, bing well deserved 2nd place... look we have a bit more colours on screen and it is in fullscreen as well and I added a MacDeath Logo in Mode2, speccy can't do that... checkmate !!!
:picard:

Also yep the "graphics extract from one of the Demo entries"... by the same dude as last time, same questionable method.
Great graph but as I think : at this point we are in low rez modern graphics category.

I believe the millenials are getting into oldskool by now...

Post Edit :
Saw Madram's demo at Roudoudou's flat.... really better on real thing than on the Live Stream, as expected.
I loved the "gear bar" appearing progressively from the right to left with a nice perspective effect.
And some nice palettes on screen in low-colour modes.
Lots of dot texts over dithered background, this kills encoder everytime...  :D

TotO

Demos "remake" should be here for the show, but out of contest (i.e. like some Canne Festival movies)

I was annoyed too by the picture used for oldschool graphics, next for oldschool demo. The guy does the same last year... Not fair play.
In this way, you can have many entries with duplicates into music, ASCII and animated gif categories. Just nerd.  :-\

A nice party with a big up to the Amiga demos this year!