News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Sub Hunter now available!

Started by Axelay, 00:21, 15 February 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Axelay

Hi all

Sub Hunter for the CPC is now available for download from the Psytronik website from the downloads section.
http://www.psytronik.net/

The download contains both a disk and tape image.

Physical media versions are also available from the Binary Zone store, tape version is available now, disk version is up for pre-order.
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/

Many thanks to Tom & Jerry for all the great music and additional testing!  :)

Paul

Metr

Amazing !

Having a look right now, the scroll seems awesome :)

PS: I'll spread the word in the spanish forums.

ervin

Thanks for the heads up Paul. I've been waiting for this one...

And let me tell you it was worth the wait!
Absolutely stunning!

How on earth did you get the scrolling running so smoothly?
It's just beautiful.

It's like an *amazing* demo but with an actual game built in.
:)

TFM

Excellent game!!! Great work!!! Thanks for the download!!!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Absolutely fantastic!!!!!! Early contender already for game of the year!!!

To help promote this -

I'll do a full longplay and review a bit later on, so as not to spoil it for everyone.

Metr

Haha, we are at the edge of the news. I've also done a longplay but waiting for Axelay confirmation to see if I can upload it, in case they prefer to wait :D

redbox

Holy sh*t, that scrolling is awesome.

The whole thing looks great, love the music too.

ukmarkh

Just pre-ordered a disk version... £13 well spent. 

viddi

Absolutely stunning.
Also pre-ordered the disk version.

Thank you very much, Paul!

sigh

Stunning! Is there a separate 64K and 128K version? If so, what are the differences?

Axelay

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Good to know others are enjoying it.

And to those that are buying physical copies, thank you for the support!

Quote from: ervin on 02:12, 15 February 11
How on earth did you get the scrolling running so smoothly?
With the stack!  :)  Well, if I can find where I put source to the prototype, I will post that if you're interested in seeing it, though it isn't an original idea.

Quote from: sigh on 14:38, 15 February 11
Stunning! Is there a separate 64K and 128K version? If so, what are the differences?
No, it's a 64k game.  The nature of the game design (many levels but only a small number of graphics used each level) turned out to suit using Exomizer for compression even better than I'd anticipated.  That meant there wasn't anything too significant I had to leave out compared to the C64 original, so there wasn't a particular need for me to produce a 128k enhanced version.

Gryzor

This... is... brilliant... the tunes, the gfx, the scrolling, the intro, the Game Over jingle... wow. Gonna post the vid on the main page methinks.

Gripes:
-no spot FX
-bloody difficult
-expensive! :( But I think I'll order both versions, it's kind of compulsive...

Let me load the cdt now and relish in the sound of awesomeness...

[Edit] Right, I hope this spruced up the main page a bit :)

trocoloco

This games it's outstanding from start to finish! I've been playing on my 6128 and enjoyed every single detail of it. Everething is fluid and smooth and adding perfect parallax scroll and cool music. What can I say? Paul Kooistra you are the hell of a programmer, you are making justice to what the cpc really can achieve.

Most recommended to play it on real hardware! Congratulations and thank you for the download

sigh

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:51, 15 February 11
[Edit] Right, I hope this spruced up the main page a bit :)

Great main update for the main page (even with the "CPC cant scroll properly" beneath it :D )

arnoldemu

Quote from: sigh on 17:26, 15 February 11
Great main update for the main page (even with the "CPC cant scroll properly" beneath it :D )
I was so sick of the picture from this video I edited the main page to remove it.
Feel free to put it back if you think otherwise.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:43, 15 February 11
I was so sick of the picture from this video I edited the main page to remove it.

Nahhh I had my doubts, hence the non-removal, but if it's gone, it's gone. I hope someone can do a proper nice little video - maybe a demo/game remix of sorts?

redbox

Quote from: Axelay on 15:32, 15 February 11
With the stack!  :)   

I knew you would say that - haha!

Haven't played it on my real CPC yet, I want to buy a physical copy and load it up that way.  :)

cpc4eva

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Good to know others are enjoying it.

And to those that are buying physical copies, thank you for the support!

With the stack!  :)  Well, if I can find where I put source to the prototype, I will post that if you're interested in seeing it, though it isn't an original idea.

No, it's a 64k game.  The nature of the game design (many levels but only a small number of graphics used each level) turned out to suit using Exomizer for compression even better than I'd anticipated.  That meant there wasn't anything too significant I had to leave out compared to the C64 original, so there wasn't a particular need for me to produce a 128k enhanced version.

it does, subhunter cpc looks outstanding and its not a plus version or is it ?

The programming and project team many thanks for the high quality work you put in and have produced.

I havnt played it yet but id say this will cpc r-type remake a real run for its money

If there is a criticism I have of cpc subhunter is that it lacks a sense of enhanced "environment" - there's no bubbles depicting your a sub underwater or little extra easter eggs or bits of "seawater environment"

TFM

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:43, 15 February 11

Great that somebody had the balls to do that!!! You did right!!!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:51, 15 February 11
Gripes:
-no spot FX
-bloody difficult
-expensive! :( But I think I'll order both versions, it's kind of compulsive...

- Sounds/Songs are great!
- Not difficult at all if you play it a second time!
- It's for free, if you're able to download a file and use a DSK or even better copy it to a CPC disc!
TFM of FutureSoft

Xyphoe

Hands up who's pre-ordered a copy?

Me!

And Mark and Viddi too!

TFM

With the stack!  :)   ...

You used the stack for scrolling? Hmm. Wouldn't it be better to change the CRTC registers to realize the paralax scrolling? Or do I (looks like...) miss the point??
TFM of FutureSoft

Phi2x

ervin

Ooh yes, that stack source code would be tremendous!
As you may know, I'm a big fan of stack (ab)use as well. It's the only way I know of to get a giant Savage moving smoothly around the screen!

Also, did you find Exomizer difficult to use?
It's something that may come in very handy for my game, but I've no idea how to use it.  :(

TFM

Quote from: ervin on 23:09, 15 February 11
Ooh yes, that stack source code would be tremendous!
As you may know, I'm a big fan of stack (ab)use as well. It's the only way I know of to get a giant Savage moving smoothly around the screen!

Well, I use CRTC &0C, &0D and &05 registers for smooth scrolling. And if you use a screen split, then you can realize parallax scrolling (Subhunter, 1943, Shadow of the beast demo). For what should you use the stack?

Stack it good to put sprites in the screen RAM, ok? But you're talking about scrolling.
TFM of FutureSoft