News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SymbOS 3.0 beta network edition released with new applications

Started by Prodatron, 22:55, 28 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

Quote from: KaosOverride on 22:21, 26 July 15
Just thinking... If I use the original PCW serial+centronic printer adapter with an 8266 serial to wifi, I can have TCP/IP conectivity at the PCW? ???

I'm still waiting for some hardware, 8266 module included, and I have a PCW with the serial adapter (And an rs232PC to TTL adapter ) This looks fun xD
Yes, all you need is a serial connection to the ESP8266.
The network driver is splitted into two layers:
- the ethernet device specific part (in this case the handling of the ESP8266)
- the Z80 platform specific part (how the ethernet device is accessable for the Z80; in this case the serial interface of the PCW or the MiniBooster of the CPC)
So only the PCW-specific serial interface access has to be modified to have an own PCW driver.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

mr_lou

If you want new hardware, you should (imho) consider donating to the hardware creators.
Doesn't have to be much.

I know perfectly well that many of them will say they aren't doing it for money. And of course they aren't. But I'm sure it'll boost the motivation anyway.

I'd love to be online from my CPC+ via my phone. Be online on IRC. Check e-mail maybe? :-)
I gotta have this!  :)

KaosOverride

Ohh, is more motivational for me to try to do my own hardware, so fun!!

And meanwhile I learn. Then it can be shared, make better by the comunity and finaly the hardware makers can make batchs
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

kawickboy

with this release a cpc will be able to chat with a msx ?

Joseman

Quote from: kawickboy on 12:47, 29 July 15
with this release a cpc will be able to chat with a msx ?

Of course, the software is platform independent... CPC, MSX, PCW, ENTERPRISE, if they have LAN they will chat each other!...

KaosOverride

Juhuuuuu!!!!!  Arrived today:

So if I finish the CapriceRPI Release, I can start playing with this at the MiniBooster :D
KaosOverride · GitHub

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Prodatron

@Mikel, that's very cool! Maybe now Octoate and you could join forces?! I will meet him tomorrow again on the Evoke demoparty in Cologne, let's see what we can achieve this time...

KaosOverride

My idea is to code a BSD sockets compatible library for SDCC. Like the Spectranet. Then it should be easy to port simple C text utils under SDCC for CPC.

But first I want to finish the CapriceRPI emu and don't be making too much things at the same time.

On the other hand, I received the Atmega chips but now I can't find them.... I have lose them at home!!! I hope that I didn't throw away by mistake...... :(

Well, that was just for making a dedicated SPI controller, the minibooster can be used with the SPI port but will be more complex to access, I think...
KaosOverride · GitHub

TFM

You could update the Booster ROM, so the Booster does some work for you and the CPC has some relief.  ;)  The Boosters CPU is a bit like a Z80 without 2nd register set anyway.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

KaosOverride

Yes, I know. But I don't want to break the normal SPI function :(

There are some extra SPI select pins, but I have to check if they can be used without atmel CPU penalization (software SPI) or can be used without tricks or problems...

EDIT: Have read about multiple SPI and the SS pin is for slave use... Any digital pin can be used without problems for SPI select...Good!!
KaosOverride · GitHub

MacDeath

Will be great to have those eastern europeans with Enterprises computers join Amstradists and MSXists on the internet... via real machines.
Can't wait for a small online bomberman type of game. Also Jet Set Willy online ?

May also be fun to have a SymbOS applications contest from the Alicante universitade students who already do it on plain CPC464... should also teach them a lot. ;D

ronaldo

@Prodatron: Does Symbos run on a 464 with X-MEM expansion? I managed to load all 4 ROMs from cassette tape and flash them to X-MEM. Then, I run Symbos with |SYM and main screen appears. I can move the pointer with the keys and click on Start. However, when I try to click on any menu option or icon, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Prodatron

Quote from: ronaldo on 09:06, 31 August 15
@Prodatron: Does Symbos run on a 464 with X-MEM expansion? I managed to load all 4 ROMs from cassette tape and flash them to X-MEM. Then, I run Symbos with |SYM and main screen appears. I can move the pointer with the keys and click on Start. However, when I try to click on any menu option or icon, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?
It requires at least one DDI compatible disc drive. Somehow it sounds you are running the 464 without?

ronaldo

Yes, It's a 464 with an X-MEM expansion only. It has no DDI. Is it necesary to read the config file or something similar? Stupid question: Could it be read from tape?

Prodatron

It really sounds crazy to run it from tape, you are probably the first one who tried it!  :D
But there is no tape support in SymbOS, it is focused on sector-based data storages and requires a variant of the CP/M or FAT filesystem. So you need a disc drive or IDE device to be able to load something after booting.

ronaldo

:D Yes, it's amazingly crazy. It took me a while to load ROMs from tape to flash them into the X-MEM, but it was really funny  ;D

I hoped for a possibilty to run SymbOS on a plain 464 with X-MEM. I thought of creating a tape installer for automatically loading and flashing ROMs for people without disc drive. My hope's gone down the drain  :(

Is there any possibility to do something similar without a great cost? I mean, implementing something specific for tape is not worthy: but an alternative might be possible.

Singaja

Could the basic SymbOS apps like command line or file manager be also bundled as rom(s)? This is the basic functionality for which the disk/dsk juggling seems a little bit tiring.

Edoz(MSX)

Maybe prodatron must create a RAMDISK haha . what would be cool!

Prodatron

Yes, I was thinking about a "ROM" disc several times. So you could use some of the 16K roms in these modern rewriteable ROM expansions as a read/write mass storage device.
On the other hand a 3,5" disc can store 720KB using the FAT12 format, so you can put most of the stuff there. And because of the multitasking/multiprogramming environment, you just load it once and then keep it in memory. Hm...

skywalky

Singaja

skywalky

Quote from: Singaja on 18:49, 09 November 15
:o
Is the usb only for power supply?
Yes, I think but is only a prototype to test the capabilities.

Joseman

Hi @Prodatron

I'm trying to install symbos 3.0 on CPC (better late than never), but the roms included on the dsk seems to be corrupted,  the rom manager displays the roms as "corrupted", also, what's the order of the roms on the dsk and where is better to put them?

thanks!

P.S. any news about symbos or unify?

TFM

I had a similar problem, but used ROManager for FutureOS 2.14 eventually and got it all working.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft