News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

This is Mac's Death.... iDied.

Started by MacDeath, 15:39, 06 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

Well, that was a messy job anyway.

Steve Jobs is no more.

his legacy will continue, and Steve Wozniak is still an adorable nerd.

Oh, Sir Alan is stil alive and well...
and he won't give a single penny for the flowers...After all HE invented many future Apple new concepts.

BTW the and of an era and my pseudonim takes a new meaning.

Morn

Now Sir Alan only has to outlive Bill Gates too!  :D

Gryzor

I'm only a bit saddened because Apple design was a great source of inspiration (or "inspiration"). I was really looking forward to the day that my Android or Windows experience would become as beautiful as the Mac experience.

Other than that, though, I found him to be so overestimated it made me wanna puke.

MacDeath

Quotethe Mac experience.
To pay twice as much ?

I found him to be so overestimated it made me wanna puke.
Yeah, as if he was the inventor of the century while he completely invented NOTHING...
He just found good merketing strategies/approachs for existing products.

Actually Alan sugar invented as much with Amstrad, but not at the right time.

TotO

Quote from: MacDeathTo pay twice as much ?
Yeah, as if he was the inventor of the century while he completely invented NOTHING...
He just found good merketing strategies/approachs for existing products.
Nice joke... I laughed. Thank you.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Heheh...

Well, Apple products are twice as beautiful as others, at four times the price.

ToTO, it's not as much of a joke. I was looking at hist patents a couple of days ago, I couldn't even begin to understand why he was granted them. Most of them were for design tweaks (like all-in-one computer/screen combo - really?? Just because he made it in a somewhat different shape than all the machines before him?). A couple of decades ago people wouldn't even imagine filing for a patent for such designs and features (which goes to say how closed and innovation-stifling Apple is).

If you have any info on inventions of his (I'm saying this sincerely, not ironically) please do share.

TotO

Sorry, but many computers selled by Apple cost around the same price if you buy it on other company like HP, Sony and others.
Just compare equivalent products like MacPro with branded WorkStations or not assembled low end PC tower, MacBook with matching ultra-portable with the "same" level of integration... You will be surprise to see it's better to finally bought the Apple product if you can spend this price to a computer.

After, the Mac experience, it's an everyday life... And greets softwares. I have used PC at home during 10 years...
Since 2005, I'm happy by the switch. (I only use a virtualised PC for Paint Shop Pro and some customs tools for CPC dev)

OK, many pattens are here for improving existing thinks... But for doing them better to use for final user.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

I doubt pricing can be compared to other manufacturers, even expensive ones.

As for the experience, true, but it's not a life- or world-changing attribute. Hardly.

And I didn't say Apple's improvements on existing technologies are not better for the final user (though not all of them *cough*cutnpaste*cough*), but they don't make a company innovative.

Even UI, where Apple is supposed to excel... Yesterday I played with a friend's iPhone 4 which he forgot at my place; by god, the interface may be beautiful (for some - I'm more of a minimal aesthetics guy, so it looks like last year's news), but it's sooo awkward and messy compared to my half-baked Android.

TotO

If Apple do not innovate, why all others company copy it instead of innovating ? :-*

norecess

QuoteAfter, the Mac experience, it's an everyday life... And greets softwares. I have used PC at home during 10 years...
Since 2005, I'm happy by the switch. (I only use a virtualised PC for Paint Shop Pro and some customs tools for CPC dev)
Same here. Mac mini (2006) is still my main machine at home. It got boosted to the max at the time (2Gb of RAM). If you consider your gaming experience only on consoles (and a computer for all other tasks), then it's probably the best bet I ever did. It's really perfect for authoring (iMovie..) and family stuff (iPhoto, iTunes..). I use WinXP virtualized under VirtualBox for development (that's why 2Gb tends to show limits these days).

That said, a full-powered PC machine under Win7 64 is also quite a beast these days (I have such a config at work with.. 12Gb ;). The only thing I miss in the Windows environment is a complete suite like iLife.

About Jobs's death, yeah, it's sad for Apple, which I think is a bit like "Commodore" we had in the nineties (innovative machines etc). But keep in mind Jobs did not only introduce good things (DRM anyone?).

Gryzor

Quote from: TotO on 12:56, 09 October 11
If Apple do not innovate, why all others company copy it instead of innovating ? :-*

Competition mostly copies design. Apple excels in design, but it's hardly innovative. It's just really, really nice.

Their magic mouse (and touchpads) is awesome (and I'm getting a Microsoft touch mouse as soon as my current one *coughs*breaks down). But, again, hardly the stuff of dreams. Just a nice touch, like the magnetic charger plug.

norecess

Yeah.. looks like these days I feel a bit bored with Apple design. Microsoft, Logitech.. does also do great hardware.

Gryzor

Yeah, I think it's high-time Apple took a turn once again in the design dept. While everything thy produce is top-notch design-wise, I feel it's becoming a bit stale.

Even iPad, despite being probably the best-looking pad out there (any ideas from the competition?), is really, really nothing special. Just a slab of plastic with a screen on it.

Apple's Air, on the other hand, is fantastically engineered and I'd really love one (hint, hint, CPCWiki lovers! ;D ), but for the price I could get a laptop for me and a new one for my wife...

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:12, 09 October 11Apple's Air, on the other hand, is fantastically engineered and I'd really love one (hint, hint, CPCWiki lovers! ;D ), but for the price I could get a laptop for me and a new one for my wife...
I hesitate to buy an A3 or two Polo too... ;)

Gryzor

Well, you pick an easy example, because it's not analogous, of course. Try an A3 with two souped-up Golfs instead, and you'll start seeing the point.

What's more, the Airs are all about style but without the power of the A3. They're just... thin and nice. So you pay twice the price for a flashy car with a shiny coat of paint.

What's more, innovation doesn't usually lie in what you build when you're talking about consumer products. It lies in the combination of technology and price. Lots of people can build something nice, the tough stuff begins when you try to offer it to the masses. Ask Sinclair or Sugar ;) I really don't have much respect for companies like B&O who, yes, have good quality but command huge premiums for their looks and style.

That's why B&O went down, btw: others caught up with nice design, but B&O could not compete on quality grounds AND keep their premiumness.

khisanth

I was and still am really upset for some reason. Always loved and admire the Apple brand and Steve Jobs has come to be a hero of mine and someone to aspire to be like (in the positive ways), represented part of the birth of personal computing and someone who wasnt afraid to push things forward to try new ways of doing things.

I love Apple stuff and got my first proper Mac 2 years ago (i picked up a Macintosh Classic as part of my collection previously) after lusting after the first iMacs. So right now I have an iPhone 4, iPad 2 and Macbook Pro. Though my main computing machine is a Windows 7 rig mainly for gaming.

Having used Mac OS X, I love it. Love how it just works, never crashed on me in 2 years and its a pleasure to use. The iPad is bloody fantastic and my iPhone is one of my favourite gadgets of all time never leaves my side. I love the whole design ethos that runs through the hardware and software.

I admired Steve Jobs' presentation skills, his drive, his arrogance, his vision and his never say die attitude.
Perfect? no.
Helped by having a great team around him? Yes.
Entertaining? Oh very much so!

I for one will miss him and will be motivated by his death to try and create something great in my life and at work.

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:44, 09 October 11Well, you pick an easy example, because it's not analogous, of course. Try an A3 with two souped-up Golfs instead, and you'll start seeing the point.
What's more, the Airs are all about style but without the power of the A3.
You are wrong, because 11" Air cost 949€ with Core i5 / 4GB / 128GB SSD.
For the "same" content, you have nothing less expensive on PC... (like me, you can check)
And for quarter or half price you got Atom, Core2 or at the best a Core i3 with hard drive and less memory, but ... twice big too, poor plastics cases, and lot of missing stuffs that make Macbook lovely and low cost heating PC crappy.

redbox

The BBC obituary to Steve Jobs is pretty frank and less than flattering in places:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12215485

For once, I think they've given an accurate portrayal of someone.

TotO

Quote from: redbox on 21:37, 09 October 11For once, I think they've given an accurate portrayal of someone.
Yes.

khisanth

It certainly is the most balanced one I have seen. Woz has said that the Pirates of silicon valley film was pretty accurate fact wise and you definitely see the bad side of Jobs.

TFM

People without bad sides will vanish in this primitive world. However, people will also use this statement as excuse for their deeds.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

There was a documentary about Jobs on M6 (french channel) last night

If you listen to them, Jobs invented GUI and computer "all inside a box".

And invented a mouse "none were like that before" (as they told in the documentary)... oh yeah, the dreadfull one-button mouse, great and brilliant invention...

Well, the AppleII was not that much "all inside the box" at first.
Screen and disc drive were external.

And it wasn't a cheap computer either.

MAC was hype and expensive but quite "all inside".
Amstrad CPC was released at the same time and wasn't supplied  with GUI which is why they all talk abvout MAC, but was a more complete offer.

You could change monitor to get colour too...

but yes we can also say Microsoft invented nothing.

MS-Dos was a CP/M clone.
Windows was a MAC clone.

the main MS' strenght wwas that the "UBM-PC" became a standard and got cloned a lot, MAC wasn't.

Nice to notice the IBM "mainframe mamouth" used to be the evil bad guys.

Then it was window.
Now it's Apple.

What I don't like with Appleis thzt you always think that clicking on your computer cost money.

Ok, a Jobs joke.

When he was about to die, Steve Jobs could see all his life in a fla.... oh wait... he saw nothing because he don't support Flash.

BTW, he was an ambitious guy just ike what the computer industry produced a lot.
But he was quite a nice guy to on other aspects and gave good speechs on life and death those last years. very philosophical.

We all loved to hate this guy but he was fun anyway and his death is quite sad, he wasn't that old after all.

redbox

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:03, 10 October 11
When he was about to die, Steve Jobs could see all his life in a fla.... oh wait... he saw nothing because he don't support Flash.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

MacDeath

Yeah, 4chan was a lot into those jokes recently... but you know, it's the internet hate machine too... so not always fun.

another joke (dark humour)

Pancreatic Cancer... PC.

PC won.

MaV

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:11, 10 October 11
Pancreatic Cancer... PC.

PC won.

Dark humour ... the only way to cope with such events.

Anyway, all those IT celebrities aren't getting any younger, so it's bound to happen. Expect a lot more of those messages in the next 15 - 20 years.

On Steve Jobs: It's been to soon. And why in all the world did it have to be cancer? You wouldn't wish that on your enemies, and yet it happens all too often.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."