News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

I have edited the previous post. It should be possible after tests will be done.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

McKlain

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:37, 15 December 14
Sure, because copying just a few hundreds is not piracy :p

As long as they are single files, it's not piracy  :laugh:

Optimus

Great! That will complete the collection.

I am wondering what project we can do with this. Maybe something like this for a start?
[Touhou] Bad Apple!! - Sega Megadrive / Genesis version - YouTube

TotO

May be... I know this Steph's video. A nice guy! :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

McKlain

I think that those kind of productions on the cpc are @Devilmarkus speciality. Just let him get an X-MASS and wait  :laugh:

TotO

Those useless streaming annimations took less space on youtube...  :-\
Back to the topic!  8)

TotO

Please keep cool with me for the delay ; I will do the best during the holidays. :D (if some goblins should help me)

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:31, 15 December 14
Not CPC-Power, but CPCGamesCD.... ;)

Will fit easily. Just put more than one game on a DSK. That already saves 70% space.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CPC_Fan

TotO - Do you try and take payment for any orders placed straight away, or do you wait until you have made the order up and then take payment for it?

TotO

To make things simple for everyone, the preorder is made on the centpourcent.net website only.
You have to pay to open a preorder and allow to buy the needed parts to build your boards.

TotO

For CPC Tape users, the X-MASS speed is around 1 300 000 bauds.
For CPC Floppy users, the X-MASS speed is around 160KBs.

:-*

Token

:blank:

CPC_Fan

Quote from: TotO on 20:10, 16 December 14
To make things simple for everyone, the preorder is made on the centpourcent.net website only.
You have to pay to open a preorder and allow to buy the needed parts to build your boards.

Thanks for the quick reply TotO. I only asked, as I didn't want to try and order some boards if you took payment straight away and I didn't have the money in my account.

Optimus

So, will it be accessed like AMSDOS loading files?
Or can it be seen like a huge memory, asking for bytes on the fly?

I am still wondering about what one can do with it.
Store many files for future loading? Generate massive amount of precalced data? Something else?

TotO

It's a hard drive like on any computer.
You can read and write files like you already do with AMSDOS for floppies.

CraigsBar

Ok. As the x-mass is compatible with the symbiface ide devices does this mean that the amsdos Rom will also work on a symbiface drives?
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Token

I think I didn't get it first. With just a 464 it won't be usefull. Copy files from the .DSK require more hardware that I don't have.

TotO

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:32, 17 December 14
Ok. As the x-mass is compatible with the symbiface ide devices does this mean that the amsdos Rom will also work on a symbiface drives?
It should, but I can't confirm that actually.
Can't use WinAPE for test too, as no harddrive image work properly.

CraigsBar

If you have a Rom image I can test it for you in my symbiface.

Audronic

Can I use 40 Pin D.O.M's with the X-Mass as i have some.

Thanks

Ray W
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Audronic on 04:11, 21 December 14
Can I use 40 Pin D.O.M's with the X-Mass as i have some.

Thanks

Ray W
With an adaptor and an external power supply I don't see why not. But initially at least I am gonna stick with the one that TotO has tested and provides.

radu14m

Same here for the biginning.  ;)
128mb should be enough for the usual programs.

TotO

128MB is 134 217 768 bytes. (one billion bits)
The CPC is orriginaly a 8bit computer with 64K RAM a 4MHz CPU and some hundred bytes storages.

100MB was the hard drive capacity used 10 years later on 16/32bit PC 486DX2@66MHz with 4MB RAM.
With DOS/Windows, many programs and games...

So, it should be time to start to make programs now if you want to upgrade it! ;)

radu14m

any news about the release date of ACMEDOS ROM ?

TotO