News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My new mobile game is available

Started by BSC, 12:25, 18 May 18

Previous topic - Next topic

BSC

Dear fellow CPCists,

I'd like to point you to my new mobile game for Android devices. It's a trivia / quiz game related to historic events.
It's actually 5 mini-games within one App and if you like a casual games with a grain of salt, you might want to check it out  :)

You can get it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.binaermayer.timelineolympics.demo

It's just a bit over 4 mb tiny and additionally offers 2 new sounds made by BSC  8)

And it even got it's own facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/TimelineOlympia/

Please check it out and spread the word if you like it!
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Targhan

It seems you've been having a lot of fun on Android since Revision 2017 when we first talked about Android development :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

BSC

Quote from: Targhan on 12:31, 18 May 18
It seems you've been having a lot of fun on Android since Revision 2017 when we first talked about Android development :) .

I think I was working on my 1st game at that time. Fun is relative, though - some facts about Android Studio and the Android ecosystem are nerve wrecking, but apart from that it's great to have all those tools available for almost free.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

mr_lou

Congratulations on completing the project!

Quote from: BSC on 12:57, 18 May 18Fun is relative, though - some facts about Android Studio and the Android ecosystem are nerve wrecking, but apart from that it's great to have all those tools available for almost free.
Agreed!
We (girlfriend and I) also had a look at Android game-development some years back (www.piratediamonds.com), and had the exact same experience as you.I came from JavaME (old cellphones), which I still like a lot better than "Android Java".So much more stuff in JavaME makes sense than in Android. I haven't touched Android since then, lack of interest.

We also tried to make the apk as small as possible, and got it down to only 1,2 mb! Includes XM module for music.  8)

ukmarkh

That's a shame, I'm on iPhone [emoji336]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_lou

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:54, 18 May 18That's a shame, I'm on iPhone
I got so tired of modern phones that I went back to an old Sony Ericsson W995. Not missing smartphones at all.
I'm waiting for the retro revolution.

ukmarkh

I wouldn't mind picking up a half decent Android to play this sort of thing...

BSC

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:05, 19 May 18
I got so tired of modern phones that I went back to an old Sony Ericsson W995. Not missing smartphones at all.
I'm waiting for the retro revolution.

I might make a CPC conversion ... not  :laugh:

mr_lou

Quote from: BSC on 10:49, 19 May 18I might make a CPC conversion ... not  :laugh:
Never say never. Don't be surprised if you suddenly find yourself looking into a CPC version.  ;)

BSC

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:33, 19 May 18
Never say never. Don't be surprised if you suddenly find yourself looking into a CPC version.  ;)

It seems like a CPC version would produce more interest anyway  :P

mr_lou

Quote from: BSC on 20:28, 19 May 18It seems like a CPC version would produce more interest anyway  :P
The problem with (indie) game-development nowadays is that the market is flooded.Doesn't matter if it's for Android or Steam. Gamers nowadays are spoiled. If your game isn't appealing within the first 3 minutes, they'll lose interest and look for the next game on the huge list.

So yes, doing a retro game for a retro platform would get more attention, I believe.
Looking forward to see the CPC version. ;-)

Arnold

. . . and on mobile everything should be for free too . . . sometimes I am amazed at the sense of entitlement folks have when I come across reading the odd comments about some app out there that is good enough and for free too . . . on the other hand most for free apps got ads and I can't tolerate that at all so always happy to spend a dollar rather than downloading an app with ads . . . anyway since someone mentioned it earlier I also happen to use a simple phone for like calling people and am happy enough with it to even put out an unpaid recommendation . . . so far this phone has endured a couple of years of heavy taxi driving duty without any trouble and I like it totally for rough use whereas I only take out my smartphone from its heavily padded cover for internet surfing and app programming use . . . ;)

Cyrus CM 1 is compact and coffee and waterproof and sort of retro also as for its display available for about 50 bucks on amazon for example . . .

BSC

Quote from: Arnold on 17:39, 20 May 18
... so always happy to spend a dollar rather than downloading an app with ads . . .

My App is free AND without ads and you can play it like that for a while before you
have to decide if you like it so much that you purchase a paid upgrade. Heck, you can
even chose your price when doing so. I don't like the ad-based freemium model as well,
but somehow I would still like to earn a tiny amount from players who really enjoy my game.

mr_lou

Quote from: BSC on 17:50, 20 May 18

My App is free AND without ads and you can play it like that for a while before you
have to decide if you like it so much that you purchase a paid upgrade. Heck, you can
even chose your price when doing so. I don't like the ad-based freemium model as well,
but somehow I would still like to earn a tiny amount from players who really enjoy my game.
The problem is that the majority of users are used to seeing annoying ads everywhere, so a lot of people has simply given up. A lot of people has labeled all Android apps "crap with ads" because a lot of devs only focus on making money. And that hurts the rest of us.
I too wanted a little bit of cash for our game, but didn't want to annoy players either. So Pirate Diamonds is designed like this: Start the app -> The game starts -> After game over, an add is shown.But it doesn't matter that guys like us are considerate like that when most other devs aren't.
Things were better for devs back when everyone ran JavaME enabled phones. Nowadays it's just a mess.
Stick to retrogames on retroplatforms.  8)

Arnold

good point /
sure I shall give it a go then . . . guess the in app purchase upgrading things model is the best I guess for understandable reasons too . . . so far I didn't though get into that as for my apps as it's at least seriously a wee bit more complicated to do also technically best practice than offering an app for about 64 cents up front which is just a google play store setting[/size] ;)

mr_lou

Here's what I wrote in the closing chapter of 8-bit Memoirs:

Quote from: 8bitMemoirsThere's something rather fulfilling about doing CPC projects, compared to other platforms.On top of the nostalgic factor, CPC projects will always be appreciated by other CPC users a lot more than users on more modern platforms will appreciate projects for their platforms. Try making an Android game nowadays for example. Or a game for Steam. It will almost certainly drown in the over flooded market - even if you give it away for free.
Not so with the CPC. On the CPC, your game will always have an audience - even one who is willing to pay for it (depending on size and quality of course). And if you put in just a little bit of effort, there's a big chance your game get free advertisement in magazines such as RetroGamer.
So if you're a CPC enthusiast ·and· a game-developer, it actually makes very little sense to even look into other platforms... These days, it kinda seems like there's a bigger chance your game will be appreciated if you target a niche platform rather than a mainstream platform.
I could be wrong of course.