News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

8-bit Memoirs Issue #1 released!!!

Started by mr_lou, 17:52, 30 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

New ISO version now downloadable via HTTP.

If anyone is into torrents and such and wanna help create one of those, please do.
I don't use torrents myself, and I don't have the servers available to create one. So the torrent link is still the old version.

Thanks.

I downloaded the new version at work to test if the download worked. And then I tried playing it with VLC 3.0.3 on Ubuntu. It seems the critical bugs are gone now. I left it running to see if it would crash upon track-change in the playlist, and it didn't. So those of you who experienced these problems might want to give it another go now.

mr_lou

mr_lou

It's been a year already!  :o

I already posted about this in another thread, but thought I better update the "official" thread too:

I've created an eBook version of 8-bit Memoirs now. It contains the same content as the Blu-ray version, except for the 5 hours of background music and the 9 hours of supplemental videos.

So the downside of the eBook version, is of course the exclusion of all the audio and video.

The upside is that the eBook can be viewed on your cellphone and tablet. (Even the old dumb phones can view it using Albite Reader).

Here are the download links:

http://www.8bitmemoirs.com/dl/1/8bitMemoirs-Issue1.epub

http://www.8bitmemoirs.com/dl/1/8bitMemoirs-Issue1.pdf

Targhan

Now that's good news! Like I told you the BluRay format is really not working for me, even though I tried many versions of VLCs, this didn't make a comfortable reading. I'll upload the ePub to my ebook reader! Thanks!!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Well I hope you'll find it entertaining and worth your time.

One of the reasons I made 8-bit Memoirs was also to give something back to all of you who has created awesome CPC-related projects.

Now we just need someone to start authoring their own issues.  :)

Gotta say I was surprised how easy it was to create an ePub. Just get your hands on Calibre and get started.  :)

Targhan

Yup, upload worked flawlessly, as is the reading. No damn buggy display or app killed whenever the music loops :). I'll start (re-)reading during my holidays :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 23:39, 17 December 18
Yup, upload worked flawlessly, as is the reading. No damn buggy display or app killed whenever the music loops :) . I'll start (re-)reading during my holidays :) .

Cool  8)

Few things are flawless though. I've already received feedback from someone saying it isn't working with Play Books on Android. "Can't open file".
I can't reproduce the error though, and other testers says it works fine with them too on Play Books.

I've also seen that some readers don't scale the images to fit the width of the screen. Classic buggy web tech.
It's possible there exists some other clever way of making sure images scale to screen width, and I just haven't found it. (And it's also possible that whatever clever technique works now, won't work in the next version of the reader).

But I hope all is fine with whatever reader it is you're using.  :)

Targhan

Ok! I've finished it from my ebook reader! I admit it was a very pleasant read. I especially liked the part about the CPC games and what you created on it. Reminded me of my own stories!

Having no without the videos or music was not a problem for me, though a few videos could have been nice to watch the games of other machines I didn't know. But then I can still grab VLC :).

So well done for your long and hard work! I hope there will be a second issue. I still believe you should maybe do it as a CPC or PC diskmag, but hey, it's your call :). Congrats!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 23:51, 23 January 19Ok! I've finished it from my ebook reader! I admit it was a very pleasant read. I especially liked the part about the CPC games and what you created on it. Reminded me of my own stories!

Wow, that was fast! I'm reading it (again) myself too these days on my Sony Ericsson W995 using Albeite Reader - and still finding small spelling errors and grammatical errors here and there!!!  :o I can't believe it. How's it possible to have read it so many times, and still missing these typos here and there? Crazy.

Glad to hear it reminded you of your own stories! That was exactly the idea.  :)

Quote from: Targhan on 23:51, 23 January 19So well done for your long and hard work! I hope there will be a second issue.

You're free to get started any time you want to.  ;)
(On any platform you want to ;) )

Quote from: Targhan on 23:51, 23 January 19I still believe you should maybe do it as a CPC or PC diskmag, but hey, it's your call :) . Congrats!

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback!

I wouldn't mind a CPC or PC version at all.

Porting the Java engine from the Blu-ray version to a PC version wouldn't be a big problem. I actually already looked into it. The only reason I didn't proceed with it was because it would still be a 23 gb download, and more than one person has complained about the filesize being so big.
That's why I figured that a disc will be best. Unless of course the PC version should also exclude video and (most of) the audio. But then you might as well just read the ePub or PDF.

As for a CPC version, that would be awesome of course. But someone else will have to code the engine then. TFM actually wanted to do this very early in the process, but then stepped down with the excuse that he was sure no one would be interested in it if he was the one coding it - because he felt rather alienated by most of the community at that time.
But it would of course be awesome if there was a CPC port that could read the text files from issue #1 (with little to no conversion needed). Then future issues could be made for multiple platforms relatively easy too.

Targhan

I don't think I've been so fast, it's quite easy to read :). Yeah, I saw about a dozen of typos, but nothing to be ashamed of!

Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

So it's been 6 months, and I have some interesting news to everyone using something like LibreElec or CoreElec on a Rasberry Pi, or Kodi on some other device that doesn't come with a Java Runtime, like e.g. the Nvidia Shield (looks at @Gryzor ), or something like WeTek Player.

Apparently it's a ridiculous simple process to get things running on those devices. We can only wonder why no one did it long ago. It's a simple matter of copying a JRE along with libbluray, and then set two variables to let the system know where these are located.

Download from here: http://vpeter.libreelec.tv/BD-J/
You can see several versions. This is because the guy is experimenting with different JRE's, and different architectures. Not that any of them are giving trouble. It's more related to license issues. You should be able to guess which version you need.

And then set variables:
JAVA_HOME=/path.to.folder.with.jre
LIBBLURAY_CP=/path.to.folder.with.libbluray-*.jar.file

EDIT: Variables are set by the install - no need to set them yourself. Just download the zip - and "Install addon from zip" in the menu.

Using Kodi (v18 "Leia") then lets you stream the whole project without downloading the whole thing first. Just add this HTTPS source: https://www.8bitmemoirs.com/online/Disc

The guy who assembled this has no special interest in Blu-ray Java. He just got tired of people complaining how difficult it was to get going, so he decided to prove them wrong.

Gryzor

Damn I had missed the last several posts here and so was unaware of the ebook!

Just sent it to my Kindle, thanks so much :)

In the meantime, thanks for the streaming solution, if and when the new family member lets me, I'll try it!